ESPN Stat

Stats like this are absolutely meaningless.

Correlation does not imply causation etc

Im not so sure I completely agree with this. I will say that most of the time I think stats are a little skewed and should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I dislike how our offense RARELY uses a lead blocker like we used to out of the I-Formation. I sometimes wonder what would happen if we would get a lead blocker in there to help Martinez get into space easier.

With 6 guys in the box there is no need for additional blockers.

With 7 or more I think you gotta get into a more power set/use a lead blocker to help guys get in space.

I think this directly relates to the stats mentioned.

That is why Bo and Carl do not pay much attention to stats.

Remember the 4th down play that was actually HUGE and a big time call to go for against OSU? they faked a run up the middle to Burkhead and martin-ez followed him right up the gut and got like, 6 yds. It really fooled me and certainly fooled the defense. It looked like Rex had been tackled for about a 3 yd loss, then BAM martin-ez actually had the ball and got the 1st.

it was the first time ALL YEAR (to me at least) that it looked like Watson used our formation and tendencies to gain an advantage. And lo and behold, it was sending a back, ie blocker, through the hole first. I would love to see some misdirection with 2 backs in shotgun or under center, send one through the hole 1st and counter back the other way with a lead blocker.

We ran the same or very similar play against KSU right before the end of the 1st half. TM went for about a 50 yard scamper. The RB (I think it was Helu) made a great block on the play to spring TM. Not sure if we've run the play much outside of those 2 times though.

Correction... Correlation does not ALWAYS show causation.. Correlation does give a reason to dig into something more. Often times, correlation leads to a proof of causation. This would seem to be one of those times. The whole correlation does not prove causation thing is something used in stats classes and things that deal with stats to show that just because the amount of cereal being purchased in an area went up and the crime rate went up doesn't mean that the purchase of more cereal caused more crime... Because that makes no sense. Something like this makes a TON of sense and very possibly could be true.

Correction... Correlation does not ALWAYS show causation.. Correlation does give a reason to dig into something more. Often times, correlation leads to a proof of causation. This would seem to be one of those times. The whole correlation does not prove causation thing is something used in stats classes and things that deal with stats to show that just because the amount of cereal being purchased in an area went up and the crime rate went up doesn't mean that the purchase of more cereal caused more crime... Because that makes no sense. Something like this makes a TON of sense and very possibly could be true.

You're still disregarding every single other variable, which is why stats like this are nonsense.

Is it possible that it's true? Sure. But there's a LOT more going on in football than the amount of players within a certain area.

You're still disregarding every single other variable, which is why stats like this are nonsense.

Is it possible that it's true? Sure. But there's a LOT more going on in football than the amount of players within a certain area.

by simply giving the stat, yes. but if you look at it, it makes a LOT of sense. including when you put the other variables into play.