2010 Lombardi Award semifinalists announced

Nexus

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Crick is a disappointment like people have listed, but he hasn't lived up to the hype. I didn't expect him to; it's not like he's just going to fill Suh's shoes just like that, we won't see a guy like Suh again on any team for many, many years (if ever).

Excatly. Guys like Suh make people expect that out of everyone. both Jared and Baker are having good seasons. JC is putting up elite level stats for a DT. BS is only a sophmore. Things will be fine and they are both great players. People need to stop thinking Every DT needs to be a monster like Suh just to not be a dissappointment.

Nothing like getting rewarded for reputation and not play on the field. IMO

agreed, the guy couldn't carry Suh's jockstrap. he's an average player at best, not even 1st team Big 12.

I agree, big disappointment so far this season. He needs to step it the hell up.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

One facepalm for each of the quoted posts.

Crick is putting up very good numbers for a defensive tackle. BOTH he and Suh put up frightening numbers last year, and that's because they were playing side by side. Crick doesn't have Suh next to him, and his numbers aren't going to be as astronomical. If Crick had graduated and Suh was still a Husker, his numbers wouldn't be as good as they were last year either.

Jared Crick is playing very good football. He's doing his job within the scheme of the defense. His job isn't to make tackles or sacks. It's to suck up blockers in the running game and allow for linebackers to make the tackle, and it's to collapse the pocket in the passing game.

If you're going to analyze a guy's performance, don't just watch the ball carrier and get mad at whatever hyped up player you think was supposed to make the play. Watch the player in question, and watch to see if he takes care of his assignment on that particular play.

agreed, the guy couldn't carry Suh's jockstrap. he's an average player at best, not even 1st team Big 12.

I agree, big disappointment so far this season. He needs to step it the hell up.

Crick is putting up very good numbers for a defensive tackle. BOTH he and Suh put up frightening numbers last year, and that's because they were playing side by side. Crick doesn't have Suh next to him, and his numbers aren't going to be as astronomical. If Crick had graduated and Suh was still a Husker, his numbers wouldn't be as good as they were last year either.

Jared Crick is playing very good football. He's doing his job within the scheme of the defense. His job isn't to make tackles or sacks. It's to suck up blockers in the running game and allow for linebackers to make the tackle, and it's to collapse the pocket in the passing game.

If you're going to analyze a guy's performance, don't just watch the ball carrier and get mad at whatever hyped up player you think was supposed to make the play. Watch the player in question, and watch to see if he takes care of his assignment on that particular play.

Says the guy who is responding over two weeks later after I originally posted this. He has gotten much better in the past few games and is starting to become more dominating. So facepalm back at ya for trying to make a point of what people said 2 1/2 weeks later. :facepalm::wacko:

2010 through 10 games:

52 tackles(5.2/game), 11 TFL(1.1/game), 6.5 sacks(.65/game)

2009(14 games)

73 tackles(5.2/game), 15 TFL(1.07/game), 9.5 sacks(.67/game)

Those are some pretty good stats. Very similar to last year, but the new wildcard is that he is the one getting most of the double teams this year.

Again...... why doesnt he? His numbers certainly warrant it

Because he isn't playing very good,he is a very overrated player.He has alot to improve on so he most likely isn't going to go into the draft this year,he needs to come back to increase his stock.

Crick was never going into the draft this year. That was nonsense. And his numbers do not support your contention that he "isn't playing very good."

Nebraska's defensive philosophy, especially as it pertains to our D Line, isn't easy to grasp. We're used to Suh blowing everyone up and laying waste to the backfield, but that's only because he was superhuman. Crick and the D Line are doing what they're asked to do - be gap-sound, occupy O Linemen, and keep the QB from running out of the pocket. For about 6 1/2 games they did just that - the lone exception being Gilbert's scrambling in the first half of the Texas game.

Our D Line doesn't play sexy football like we used to in the 90s, but it's all part of Bo's system and it's effective.

Isn't the roll of the D Line to contain the QB and not let him scramble for big yards? Pressure and sack if right in front but don't blow by and allow for the scramble for big yards. I have never seen a explosive pass rusher miss a QB and run him down from behind. Comparing Crick to a once in a generational player is unfair. Crick has the physical size to be great. I am with knapplc, and the line isn't sexy but still playing at a high level. The D tries to dare the opponents to throw into their strengthens.

Says the guy who is responding over two weeks later after I originally posted this. He has gotten much better in the past few games and is starting to become more dominating. So facepalm back at ya for trying to make a point of what people said 2 1/2 weeks later. :facepalm::wacko:

I know you arent qouting me, but I didnt dig this back up to make an "I told you so" post. if it was taken that way I apologize. I just wanted to point this out for Cricks sake, as he was getting bashed pretty good. I hope people realize and appreciate that he is having another special season. if it werent for #93 by next year we would be talking about him being one of the best defensive players we have ever had. the fact that we have had 2 guys that good in such a short period of time is remarkable, and reflects well on the staff

2010 through 10 games:

52 tackles(5.2/game), 11 TFL(1.1/game), 6.5 sacks(.65/game)

2009(14 games)

Those are some pretty good stats. Very similar to last year, but the new wildcard is that he is the one getting most of the double teams this year.

that is very impressive IMO. Baker deserves a lot of credit too.

• 2 weeks later...

His stats now

27 solo, 33 assist, 60 total, 14-69 tfl, 7.5-65 sacks, 1 pass def 9 hurries.

in 12 games

2009(14 games)

his numbers are just as good as last year and NO SUH.

Do you guys realize how over-achieving that is? Incredible year by him, doing more than we could ask for.

I know you arent qouting me, but I didnt dig this back up to make an "I told you so" post. if it was taken that way I apologize. I just wanted to point this out for Cricks sake, as he was getting bashed pretty good. I hope people realize and appreciate that he is having another special season. if it werent for #93 by next year we would be talking about him being one of the best defensive players we have ever had. the fact that we have had 2 guys that good in such a short period of time is remarkable, and reflects well on the staff

Nope, no issues, he's doing fantastic. Keep it up Jared! :corndance

So what you're saying is that we shouldnt judge a player by a small sample of games and instead look at his performance as a whole at the end of the season to see whether he's a good player or not? Very insightful sir, very insightful.

So what you're saying is that we shouldnt judge a player by a small sample of games and instead look at his performance as a whole at the end of the season to see whether he's a good player or not? Very insightful sir, very insightful.

Good god............when I originally put that message up there it was earlier in the season and every one agreed that Crick wasn't doing what we all thought he would. In the past few games, LIKE I SAID, he's reallys stepped his game up. I guess I could get some crayons and coloring books for some of you scholors out there so I could explain it better. You're trying to put words in my mouth when I never said those things. :facepalm::wacko: