CFN.com Big 12 Fearless Prediction

The last three defenses that we've played (aside from Okie Light's) were very athletic. T-Mart couldn't get the corner and was shut down. Iowa State's D? Not so much athletic. He'll be able to get around the corner and maybe score once or twice on the ground.

However, I absolutely LOVE that Helu had a big game against Missouri. It made it harder on I-State's D coordinator because not only does he have to plan for Martinez (running AND throwing), he also has to plan for Helu on the ground.

Defensively, I don't see Iowa State doing much scoring. Maybe a TD and a FG, but I think our defense really clicked against Mizzou and it should do the same against Iowa State

However, I absolutely LOVE that Helu had a big game against Missouri. It made it harder on I-State's D coordinator because not only does he have to plan for Martinez (running AND throwing), he also has to plan for Helu on the ground.

You guys are all probably right about the "more athletic" nature of the last few defenses we've played, and that ISU isn't as athletic.

However, I wanted to pull this quote out and remark on this. Imagine being Wally Burnham this week. You're looking at film of Nebraska's last two games, and you see these two guys in the backfield:

(stats are for MU/OSU)

Taylor Martinez

31 Rush, 169 yards

29/44, 438 yards, 0 INT, 6 TD

Roy Helu, Jr.

40 Rush, 349 yards, 3 TD

On any given play, either could rush the ball or Martinez could throw in a vertical passing game that includes three TDs in the past two games of 40 or more yards. Both players have at least three TDs rushing that covered at least 50 yards (Helu has six).

Who do you stop? Who do you key on? There isn't a defensive scheme on this planet that can eliminate both of these threats - not with the personnel ISU can put on the field.

The ONLY way ISU stays in this game is to repeat 2009. The Cyclones are ninth in the nation in turnovers, meaning these guys excel at stripping the ball from their opponent. They are ninth in the country with 13 INTs on the year.

However, Nebraska has largely buttoned up their ball-handling issues to the tune of only two turnovers in four conference games. Although ISU has a better overall turnover rank than Nebraska, the Clones have turned the ball over three times in five conference games, a few percentage points worse than Nebraska.

I think turnovers will, once again, dictate this game. Unless Nebraska comes out with a Missouri-like hangover against the Clones, this game should be over early.

The problem is that the Huskers might be up 14-0 right away on two Martinez carries, but if an offense can be patient, the ground game will work.

Has anyone else noticed Martinez hasn't hit paydirt on the ground since KSU nearly a full month ago? Sure would be great for him to break the streak. It's been too long since one of his game-breaking highlight TDs.

I've noticed. He's definitely lost a step or two in the last month. He hasn't been able to gain the edge as easily as in the beginning of the season, and I attribute that entirely to the several solid hits he's taken this year. He's banged up some, there's no doubt about it.

I met Taylor's uncle this weekend and asked him about that, and his response was guarded - he said that nobody is injury-free this time of year. That's true in a contact sport, but it's also true that not everyone loses that fifth gear like Taylor seems to have.

I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with TMart, but I do think he's half a step slower. Turns out he's mortal after all.

You might be right on that, it does seem like he's been a little slower to the corner. But, I also think, since KSU, teams have geared their entire gameplan around keeping him from getting that corner. We've played some pretty solid teams that all have great athletes as well.

I have a feeling we'll see that 5th gear again these next two weekends a few times!

I think is a lot of it. I think it also explains why roy has had these long runs were he is untouched(not to take anything from roy or the line) and why we have had some receivers wide open my guess is as team start to focus more on roy the outside will open up more for him. if roy can keep on running and our TE can keep getting open people are going to struggle against us... pick your poison

NU has WAY too many weapons right now to be tripped up by an average, at best, ISU squad. Without turning the ball over 8 times at least.

All of a sudden you are looking at a group of skill players that is going to be VERY tough to completely shut down.

Magic

Helu

Burkhead

Reed

Paul

Kinnie

McNeil

Teams have to try to take away one aspect of this team, but at this point, what do you pick? OSU picked the run game, look what happened. MU picked Magic, look what happened.

I would hope we get up early, then cruise with a very basic offense and simply stay healthy.

The best part about all of the predictions and planning is the fact that NU has alot of playmakers that finally found themselves. You shutdown Helu, and T-Mart well we still have Burkhead. He may not have the breakaway speed the other two do, but he still is a legit threat. And then in the passing game hell where do you start? As long as they hang on to the ball and just play the damn game we are pretty stout there as well. Then our O-Line wow have they stepped up this year. When they are on their A game they are pretty lethal all over the field. As far as the D Knapple is spot on. They do not suck on the line and the stats do not tell the story of how well put together this D actually is. They keep their heads they are unstopable. They look past anyone they will lose.

I dont know what to think about these CFN predictions. On one hand the write ups are usually pretty good and accurate. However, the score predictions always bother me. Its like they decide which team they think will win and then pick a score that is within a couple points of the point spread. Id have a lot more respect for them if they just picked scores for real, not based on the spread, or didn't put a score prediction at all. Not a big deal, I just find it odd every week.

You guys are all probably right about the "more athletic" nature of the last few defenses we've played, and that ISU isn't as athletic.

However, I wanted to pull this quote out and remark on this. Imagine being Wally Burnham this week. You're looking at film of Nebraska's last two games, and you see these two guys in the backfield:

(stats are for MU/OSU)

Taylor Martinez

31 Rush, 169 yards

29/44, 438 yards, 0 INT, 6 TD

Roy Helu, Jr.

40 Rush, 349 yards, 3 TD

On any given play, either could rush the ball or Martinez could throw in a vertical passing game that includes three TDs in the past two games of 40 or more yards. Both players have at least three TDs rushing that covered at least 50 yards (Helu has six).

Who do you stop? Who do you key on? There isn't a defensive scheme on this planet that can eliminate both of these threats - not with the personnel ISU can put on the field.

The ONLY way ISU stays in this game is to repeat 2009. The Cyclones are ninth in the nation in turnovers, meaning these guys excel at stripping the ball from their opponent. They are ninth in the country with 13 INTs on the year.

However, Nebraska has largely buttoned up their ball-handling issues to the tune of only two turnovers in four conference games. Although ISU has a better overall turnover rank than Nebraska, the Clones have turned the ball over three times in five conference games, a few percentage points worse than Nebraska.

I think turnovers will, once again, dictate this game. Unless Nebraska comes out with a Missouri-like hangover against the Clones, this game should be over early.

lol! Oh boy, that's a tough, tough question.

I suppose the Texas choice is the best but if our wrs could have caught some of those balls we would have crushed them too. More and more I just see that as our 2009 Iowa State game. Just a big fluke.

As our Oline surely seems to be getting better the choices for opposing DCs just gets fewer and more difficult. If/when SW starts running the ball North/South frequently on 2nd or 3rd & shorts we'll be almost impossible to stop for anybody, much less the Clones.

If Tmart is good to go the Clones are going to have their hands full.

NU is averaging 51 (nearly 52) points a game on the road. Take away defensive and special teams touchdowns and it's 47 a game. ISU is as bad a defense as we've faced.

Nebraska has held every team on its schedule to fewer points than the team was averaging going into the game.

ISU averages 25 points a game.

55-17 sounds about right if T-Mart is full speed, 45-17 if he's limited and maybe 38-17 if he sits. I think I'm being generous to give ISU 17 because I think the defense gelled against Missouri and will come out with real swagger.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sit. Cotton wouldn't say anything about him yesterday, and Niles Paul said he didn't practice much on the day that Watson was calling him Superman. The coaches clearly want ISU to have to prepare for him. He'll dress, they'll tape up the ankle and have him at least run pregame drills, I'm guessing.

I think there's been a noticeable difference in how Martinez handles the ball. In earlier games, he'd try to hit that 5th gear to quickly and even the slightest jostle knocked the ball out of his hands. That has not been the case in recent games, and I'd much rather see him take care of the ball then lose it 'cause he gets too antsy in holes that collapse too quickly for him.