Is not being ready the staple of Pelini Coaching?

Not being ready, no this team is ready. At least from the preparation side. I doubt there is a coaching staff that works harder game planning and scheming their players to be in the best positions. There are games though that I think they come out flat and don't execute fully the mental side of the game. But that is not because of them not being ready.

one thing that needs to get fixed and fast.......when our opponent runs a hurry up offense, our guys are caught looking to the sidelines for the defensive scheme/call, we are then lost when the offense goes on a quick count.

someone will exploit this to our detriment...fix it!

if so we are gonna get smashed from next year on. Last year i could handle losing to Iowa St cause we had 8 fumbles but almost this year too is bs. It's his team so he needs to fix it.

It's not like we were missing key offensive and defensive starters or anything. Who needs their starting or second string QB? Who needs a pro-caliber starting CB? It shouldn't matter that Gomes was injured for a decent part of the game either.

You couldn't have been serious when you posted this. Seriously, Burkhead took probably as many snaps at QB as Green. We were definitely short handed playing in inclement weather, so I'll take the win any way we can get it.

so one or two guys are the whole defense? don't give me that. If most of our defense was of gone i would understand. The defense didn't play that well.

Welcome to college football. This is why it's fun to watch because of its unpredictability. How much do you think Virginia Tech is kicking itself right now after getting beat by James Madison? Yet they're undefeated in the ACC. They could very well be the first team to play in a BCS bowl with a loss to an FCS team to show for it. Think about that for a moment.

Bottom line, no win is a given anymore regardless if it's an FCS or FBS non-AQ opponent. You take the good with the bad and hope for the best when it's all said and done.

• Fire 1

turnovers and an inability to adjust. Players drop passes and are responsible for penalties. It is the coaches responsibility to determine if these players are hurting their team.

Turnovers aren't the fault of coaching. Many are the fault of poor officiating, and many are just brain lapses by the players. Watson has even addressed the situation, saying that they are working on it, but there's only so much you can do from the sideline. Don't even start on inability to adjust. You CANNOT say that Bo and Carl can't adjust after watching 4 years of Callahan and Cosgrove.

Offense

-Dependent on big plays. K-State & Missouri. Watch the long runs....backs and qb's aren't even touched. Kyler Reed has been a big play receiver.

-At times they look unprepared. Can't run a two minute offense.

So we're a terrible offense because we score quickly? Wow. If this team is this bad, I can only imagine how bad the '95 Husker squad was. Against Florida they looked like garbage. That Tommie Frazier dude sucks. Give me a break. Also, when have we even tried to run a 2 minute offense? Like, legitimately tried, not just simply being on offense with 2 minutes left. There's a difference.

turnovers and an inability to adjust. Players drop passes and are responsible for penalties. It is the coaches responsibility to determine if these players are hurting their team.

Turnovers aren't the fault of coaching. Many are the fault of poor officiating, and many are just brain lapses by the players. Watson has even addressed the situation, saying that they are working on it, but there's only so much you can do from the sideline. Don't even start on inability to adjust. You CANNOT say that Bo and Carl can't adjust after watching 4 years of Callahan and Cosgrove.

Offense

-Dependent on big plays. K-State & Missouri. Watch the long runs....backs and qb's aren't even touched. Kyler Reed has been a big play receiver.

So we're a terrible offense because we score quickly? Wow. If this team is this bad, I can only imagine how bad the '95 Husker squad was. Against Florida they looked like garbage. That Tommie Frazier dude sucks. Give me a break. Also, when have we even tried to run a 2 minute offense? Like, legitimately tried, not just simply being on offense with 2 minutes left. There's a difference.

I believe that the point gobiggergoredder was trying to make is that if it weren't for the big play giving us a quick td (like Martinez with his feet), we probably wouldn't have been able to make an 80 yard sustained drive and still score against some of those teams. Therefor, our "deficiency" of not being able to make a sustained drive was "bailed out" by the big play-making ability of one of our players. I understand where he's coming from. If a team shuts down our big plays this year, they often shut down our scoring. It is a valid point and one that I've often thought about myself.

I really think some people are way too critical of Pelini. In three years he's turned us around from missing a bowl game to a top 10 team with a good recruiting class.

exactly, he has been here and a head coach for only 3 years. he is learning with every game. now he just needs to work on getting his teams to play consistency, that is the true key for an mnc run.

Offense

I believe that the point gobiggergoredder was trying to make is that if it weren't for the big play giving us a quick td (like Martinez with his feet), we probably wouldn't have been able to make an 80 yard sustained drive and still score against some of those teams. Therefor, our "deficiency" of not being able to make a sustained drive was "bailed out" by the big play-making ability of one of our players. I understand where he's coming from. If a team shuts down our big plays this year, they often shut down our scoring. It is a valid point and one that I've often thought about myself.

Paul in WI.....You put it better than I could about the big plays.....Thanks. dutch91701, I didn't say the offense was terrible, but thanks for your interpretation.

dutch91701.....Turnovers, penalties, dropped passes and mistakes become a coaching issue when the same players continue to make them. I don't like calling out players, but I think there are some legitimate questions as why they allow some player(s) to continually make plays that put the game in jeopardy.

As someone pointed out above, this team was a disaster just 2 1/2 years ago. Pelini and the staff have done an outstanding job to this point. This is the guy that I hope leads our team for a long time.

My observations are not about wins and loses as much as about how the team seems to be so inconsistent.

Pelini's great. We're lucky to have him. But he's not beyond criticism.

There are focus issues here, including turnovers, penalties and poor clock management. That's a big part of head coaching and I guarantee you Bo Pelini knows it's on him. That the team can come out brilliantly focused (Washington, K-State, first half of Missou) proves it's not a staple, but when the Huskers get out-played it appears to be a matter of mental breakdowns rather than talent or strategy.

Yup, love Pelini but in the past weeks how many substitution calls did we get, and errors in the friggen coin flip ... how hard is that to fix? Its great to hear him ever week say there's problems and he's gonna fix them, its not so great to see the same problems every week. He seems to get miffed if a reporter asks about preparation before a game and he blows them off by saying "we prepare the same every week." or something like that. Sometimes Bo, its NOT "just another game."

I really think some people are way too critical of Pelini. In three years he's turned us around from missing a bowl game to a top 10 team with a good recruiting class.

exactly, he has been here and a head coach for only 3 years. he is learning with every game. now he just needs to work on getting his teams to play consistency, that is the true key for an mnc run.

I understand he has only been head coach for 3 years and this year is a down year in the Big 12 and simply want to take advantage of it because this won't happen in the Big Ten. Have you taken a look at next year's schedule? there are no gimmies in conference next season. We may very well have a losing season next year. We don't get to play any bottom teams in the Big Ten next season. I want Bo to get better but the more we cut him slack the more we get back to things were in Callahan era. Before the implosion Callahan did get us to a Big 12 championship. Bo has done a great job since being HC here but to be elite again we have to beat them.

I understand he has only been head coach for 3 years and this year is a down year in the Big 12 and simply want to take advantage of it because this won't happen in the Big Ten. Have you taken a look at next year's schedule? there are no gimmies in conference next season. We may very well have a losing season next year. We don't get to play any bottom teams in the Big Ten next season. I want Bo to get better but the more we cut him slack the more we get back to things were in Callahan era. Before the implosion Callahan did get us to a Big 12 championship. Bo has done a great job since being HC here but to be elite again we have to beat them.

we have one loss. last year we only had 4 (including the big 12 championship a two other very close losses). bo has never lost a bowl game. we are not cutting him slack, just trying to put it into perspective. who do we have to beat to be elite? and what does elite mean? oh, and the big 10 has been known to have down years. who is to say how strong it will be next year. michigan dos not look good, penn. st. does not look good, wisconsin and iowa might be good but they are up and down as programs. same with michigan state. we should be able to handle minnesota and northwestern. nebraska can compete with anyone, they just need to be consistent. this is the same team that owned washington, kansas st., mizzou, played well against a one-loss okie state, and was able to escape with a win in ames with a third string qb and a depleted defense. cutting bo slack, i am not. appreciating his accomplishments, i am.

Offense

I think it's perfectly valid point too.

3rd & shorts we almost always throw the ball. With our wrs and freshman/soph qbs that's a high risk play and it shows with all those 3 & outs we get. Until we have the balls to punch in the 3rd & short with our run game we'll always be dependent on big plays for points imo.

we have one loss. last year we only had 4 (including the big 12 championship a two other very close losses). bo has never lost a bowl game. we are not cutting him slack, just trying to put it into perspective. who do we have to beat to be elite? and what does elite mean? oh, and the big 10 has been known to have down years. who is to say how strong it will be next year. michigan dos not look good, penn. st. does not look good, wisconsin and iowa might be good but they are up and down as programs. same with michigan state. we should be able to handle minnesota and northwestern. nebraska can compete with anyone, they just need to be consistent. this is the same team that owned washington, kansas st., mizzou, played well against a one-loss okie state, and was able to escape with a win in ames with a third string qb and a depleted defense. cutting bo slack, i am not. appreciating his accomplishments, i am.

we had 4 losses because we didn't have a passing qb. Beating Texas would have been good but that sh#t didn't happen. Playing Washington, Mizzou, Kansas St, Ok St means nothing. None of them are that good. Mizzou and Ok St are just as fickle. The Big Ten is stronger conference than the Big 12 from head to toe.