Better communication

HANC

If the rumors (one not rumor) are true, then I am beginning to wonder how there can be a miscommunication between the Head Coach and captains 2 weeks in a row.

1. At the beginning of the game vs MU, the captains chose to play on defense first instead of deferring, thus, causing NU to kickoff to begin each half. Of course, I thought it was a strategy to utilize the wind (which I disagreed with), but later Bo said that it was a mistake and lack of communication between staff and players.

2. In overtime at ISU, our captains chose the end of the field heading into the wind. Once agian, I thought "great move"...We have better special teams that ISU and it was opposite of their student section. But according to quite a few people on the board, Bo said that HE wanted the other end, and that the captains misunderstood.

** neither of these cost NU the game, but I think it might be time to thoroughly explain to the captains WHAT you want them to do. No way should there be these type of communication mistakes at this high level of D-I football 2 weeks in a row.

The Mizzou thing was just a screw up by the captains. Here's what I think happened. If you win the coin flip you can do one of two things: 1) specify the kickoff (presumably to receive), or 2) defer (letting the other team specify the kickoff) and choose which end to defend first. The confusion arises when the captain wins the flip and says “We’ll kickoff and defend that goal.” The ref (if he’s a dick) can interpret this as meaning the player elected to kickoff rather than receiving the kickoff. Then the ref turns to the other captain and lets him pick the goal to defend.

Captains screw up the winning coin flip all the time. But the refs know what they mean. This year we are not going to get the courtesy of any Big 12 ref asking for clarification, or simply interpreting what the guy meant and letting us defer and select the goal to defend. They’re gonna screw us every time until our captains figure out how the coin flip works.

If the rumors (one not rumor) are true, then I am beginning to wonder how there can be a miscommunication between the Head Coach and captains 2 weeks in a row.

1. At the beginning of the game vs MU, the captains chose to play on defense first instead of deferring, thus, causing NU to kickoff to begin each half. Of course, I thought it was a strategy to utilize the wind (which I disagreed with), but later Bo said that it was a mistake and lack of communication between staff and players.

2. In overtime at ISU, our captains chose the end of the field heading into the wind. Once agian, I thought "great move"...We have better special teams that ISU and it was opposite of their student section. But according to quite a few people on the board, Bo said that HE wanted the other end, and that the captains misunderstood.

** neither of these cost NU the game, but I think it might be time to thoroughly explain to the captains WHAT you want them to do. No way should there be these type of communication mistakes at this high level of D-I football 2 weeks in a row.

This isn't rec league soccer where you reward kids randomly. Get set captains that know what to do. In the overtime, the captains could've pointed to each side of the field and Bo would've pointed to the end he wanted to defend. One day it is going to cost this team a game based on the mental aspect of team captains making calls incorrectly. This isn't a hard fix. I have never watched a major college game where the captains mess that call up. We were playing the no 5 team in the nation and they were undefeated and this was on national television.

It didn't cost us the game but it could've.

The Mizzou thing was just a screw up by the captains. Here's what I think happened. If you win the coin flip you can do one of two things: 1) specify the kickoff (presumably to receive), or 2) defer (letting the other team specify the kickoff) and choose which end to defend first. The confusion arises when the captain wins the flip and says “We’ll kickoff and defend that goal.” The ref (if he’s a dick) can interpret this as meaning the player elected to kickoff rather than receiving the kickoff. Then the ref turns to the other captain and lets him pick the goal to defend.

Captains screw up the winning coin flip all the time. But the refs know what they mean. This year we are not going to get the courtesy of any Big 12 ref asking for clarification, or simply interpreting what the guy meant and letting us defer and select the goal to defend. They’re gonna screw us every time until our captains figure out how the coin flip works.

No, you can choose one of four things: 1) Defer 2) receive 3) kick 4) choose which goal you want to defend. It's not up to the ref to figure out what you mean.

I've never heard a captain screw up when there's a mic on the field. A few will dick around and call both heads and tails and try to claim the one they called, which is why they verify the call before the flip now.

Bottom line, as you said, don't screw up the toss if you don't want to get dicked by the ref.

I've really got to question the intelligence of our captains. Even in junior high football, I haven't seen as big of screw up that I witnessed this year by our captains. Last year, it would have been understandable for our captains to elect to kick the ball starting both halves because if Adi boots it into the endzone and we get a three and out, we get great field position with a sub par offense. However, this year even a twelve or thirteen year old kid could have gotten the call right. In terms of the wind against ISU, I actually think our captains made the right call. ISU's QB was having a difficult time throwing the ball into the wind. This almost took the pass away from them. The call made in the Mizzou game is inexcusable. If we'd have had a DA attack like this against Okie State, it may very well have cost us the game.

In my mind, the captains are an extension of the coach's authority. Therefore, there is no reason whatsoever for the captains and the coach to be on different pages because of miscommunication, poor judgment or lack of intelligence.

What happened against Mizzou was inexcusable. And although I do not believe there was miscommunication as to which endzone to use in OT vs ISU, that too would be completely inexcusable and deserving of coach's reprimand to the point he shouldn't let any of those guys be captains ever again.

There is very sound strategy that goes into the coin toss, and the last thing we can afford to do is have captains who are unprepared or possibly under-educated about what strategy the coach has devised for the coin toss.

No, you can choose one of four things: 1) Defer 2) receive 3) kick 4) choose which goal you want to defend. It's not up to the ref to figure out what you mean.

I've never heard a captain screw up when there's a mic on the field. A few will dick around and call both heads and tails and try to claim the one they called, which is why they verify the call before the flip now.

Bottom line, as you said, don't screw up the toss if you don't want to get dicked by the ref.

Not so fast my friend (in best Lee Corso voice). It's always good to look at the rules. There are actually three choices. Not two like I said. Or four like you said. Although both of the scenarios we laid out are correct. Except that you’ve forgotten about choosing a goal to defend if your selection is to defer (assuming the coin-toss loser elects to receive). Here is the wording of the actual rule from the NCAA rulebook:

a. The winner of the toss shall choose one of the following options:

____1. To designate which team shall kick off.

____2. To designate which goal line his team shall defend.

____3. To defer his selection to the second half.

b. The opponent shall then choose option 1 or 2 above, as available.

c. If the winner of the toss chooses option 3 above, then after the opponent’s choice the winner selects the available option (1 or 2 above).

LINK

It's these dang video games. Freakin' Madden. Unless things have changed recently, you choose either kick or receive, or a goal to defend. You can't defer to the 2nd half. So you want to receive in the 2nd half, you gotta pick defer at the coin toss, not "kick".

Has Prince captained before?