Long-lasting rivalry coming to an end

ESPY

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was a nice symbiotic relationship. Huskers care about football and Jayhawks obliged by rolling over and playing dead. Roles reversed for basketball.

That is exactly true.

Last year made the first trip to Lawrence had an awesome time meeting people from KU. I was hoping to go again next year. Towards the end of game after looking at the scoreboard and pointing out we just put 400 yards of offense on a conference team. A Jayhawker said to me, "we will see you in Lincoln come January." I gave him a puzzled look and said "basketball season dont start till after the bowl game and ends with the first pitch of baseball season." Then jokingly I said, "We dont even know theirs a basketball team till they win 20 games in one season."

On side note, their "football fans" seem to have very little knowledge about the game of football. Everytime we jammed the receiver at the line, the wanted defensive holding or pass interference.

Best of luck to Turner Gill after this Saturday, hopefully he can turn the program around.

They're no more our rival in football than we are their rival in basketball.

BING......

It was a nice symbiotic relationship. Huskers care about football and Jayhawks obliged by rolling over and playing dead. Roles reversed for basketball.

.....GO!

Two excellent posts. +1 to the both of you. We can let this thread rest in peace now.

We had a rivalry with KU? When was someone gonna tell us?

What else would you call playing 105 years straight? no matter how you look at it, the schools have a long history that is coming to a close. To most people yes, they probably think KU-NU is a rivalry. :dunno

Is Baylor Texas's rival? No. It's a series. They're no more our rival in football than we are their rival in basketball.

I dont think those are the same situation. I don't belive any of those series are over 100 years old. Regardless of one teams success or the series record playing a team for that long adds substance to the gameand by those standrads I would consider it a rivalry.

Not sure who that is in the article picture with the article, but it's a great photo. Is it Jeff Kinney maybe? What does the "100" on the hat mean?

The year in the photo says 1969...that would've been 100 years of the Univ. of Nebraska, founded in 1869.

From what I've heard that was an NCAA wide promotion for their centennial anniversary. A lot of schools wore that decal in 1969, not just NU.

Ah, my bad. Coincidence then...thanks.

Actually I think that 100 decal was for the 100th anniversary of the first college football game (Rutgers-Princeton).