Nebraska Football Show.....Bo calls out the fans

I'm in the middle of watching the Nebraska Football Show. In the opening segment, Bo said he thought the crowd was soft and quiet and said "felt like a scrimmage". I sure thought section 18 was rocking in our area. Didn't quite have the same feel as Texas and Mizzou, but still some excitment. Other thoughts? Agree with Bo?

I am also in section 18 sir..what row/s

Row 78 towards the east side of the section. Been there for a couple of seasons now.

Hey BO -

If the crowd has an effect on the way your team plays, why didn't you beat Texas by 45 points?

I don't think Bo is saying the crowd has anything to do with how the football team plays, but more that he was expecting a louder crowd, especially when someone as important as Turner Gill returns to Memorial Stadium.

I don't know why fans weren't loud, i wasn't there for the game, nor did i watch it. I listened to the game on the radio and quite frankly the crowd sounded fine, the only time it was not fine was when i heard Sharpe say that crowd was kinda of quiet and then later when a defensive player was trying to get the crowd into the game.

Our defense should never have to try to get our crowd into the game, especially when we are winning.

I tell you what, i remembered why i hate some Husker fans Saturday night. Complaining about how we aren't blowing our opponent out of the stadium by atleast 4 scores by halftime, really makes us look cocky and arrogant. All i ask from Bo Pelini and the Huskers is a win and to keep winning, and as long as that is happening, sore throat or not, im screaming my lungs out for the Huskers.

As for people blaming the cold on the reason it was so quiet in Memorial Stadium, that is such a lame excuse, come back to Memorial Stadium when you finish pulling the panties from your ass crack.

I seem to remember the Colorado - Husker game from 2008 being cold and yet it was very loud when Alex Henery kicked his school record FG, and when Suh intercepted the ball and ran it back for a TD.

I'm in the middle of watching the Nebraska Football Show. In the opening segment, Bo said he thought the crowd was soft and quiet and said "felt like a scrimmage". I sure thought section 18 was rocking in our area. Didn't quite have the same feel as Texas and Mizzou, but still some excitment. Other thoughts? Agree with Bo?

Classsic example, We are in Section 18 and it is like a mourge. All the Blue hairs are against standing and cheering. I about got into a fight last year for standing. Glad I didn't get kicked out by the popo.

Bo has a real issue. He has a team that is not playing inspired football. I think this is two weeks in a row that the human polls are dropping NU based on their play. Colorado just beat ISU, ISU almost beat NU. NU only drops 20 on Kansas. Kansas is not a top 100 school.

I didn't watch the game but I think Bo has a 9-1 team that should be 10-0. If the play is better on both sides of the ball and NU plays like they should. The crowd would be into it.

KSU beat the crap out of Kansas. 59-7 or something like that.

Baylor beat the crap out of Kansas, 55-7.

If those teams can put of 55 plus. NU should've put up 80 like Wisconsin.

And what did Kansas do to Colorado. Rant on.....

While no one wants to admit it, NU has a higher percentage of blue hairs than anyone else in the nation. It's far more of a social event for them than a sweating bullets-fired up on 30 beers-ultra passionate-"win or die" SEC redneck screaming his lungs out is for them.

I remember going to the Baylor game in 1996 and being in the faculty section. I've honestly been to funerals with higher excitement than what that section had. Frankly is was disgusting as all they seemed to care about was going to get pizzas and sitting on their huge fat asses. Yeah, it was "Baylor" but I honestly never saw even "one" tenured prof yell, clap or even stand up the whole game. Damned if I know why they even go.

I think NU desperately needs younger blood for a better home field advantage. It's great we have fans that have attended for 10,000 consectutive years but somehow we need a changing of the gaurd.

+10000000000

+20000000000

Hey BO -

If the crowd has an effect on the way your team plays, why didn't you beat Texas by 45 points?

I don't think Bo is saying the crowd has anything to do with how the football team plays, but more that he was expecting a louder crowd, especially when someone as important as Turner Gill returns to Memorial Stadium.

I don't know why fans weren't loud, i wasn't there for the game, nor did i watch it. I listened to the game on the radio and quite frankly the crowd sounded fine, the only time it was not fine was when i heard Sharpe say that crowd was kinda of quiet and then later when a defensive player was trying to get the crowd into the game.

Our defense should never have to try to get our crowd into the game, especially when we are winning.

I tell you what, i remembered why i hate some Husker fans Saturday night. Complaining about how we aren't blowing our opponent out of the stadium by atleast 4 scores by halftime, really makes us look cocky and arrogant. All i ask from Bo Pelini and the Huskers is a win and to keep winning, and as long as that is happening, sore throat or not, im screaming my lungs out for the Huskers.

As for people blaming the cold on the reason it was so quiet in Memorial Stadium, that is such a lame excuse, come back to Memorial Stadium when you finish pulling the panties from your ass crack.

I seem to remember the Colorado - Husker game from 2008 being cold and yet it was very loud when Alex Henery kicked his school record FG, and when Suh intercepted the ball and ran it back for a TD.

+1

It was a boring game. Neither side really acted like they wanted to win. Natural for the crowd to get into the same mood. I have to be honest, I fell asleep during the game, the first time in my life.

Just a wierd game I think. It better change Saturday are we are going to get a beating I am afraid.

I agree with a lot of this. It was a very vanilla game in both camps. I've been to exciting games in much colder weather and never had a problem with it at all. This game, however, was so dull that it offered me time to consider how cold it was, and it wasn't even really that cold. To me, it really seemed like both teams had the mentality of some high school freshman games, that is, let's just get this thing over with so we can go home and move on with our lives. I don't think this is the time for Bo to be getting on the fans nor are these the fans to be getting on. We always provide a full stadium for them and lately (with the exception of the misery game) the team has not done much to excite the home crowd.

I'd say it's mostly misused. I see it most often as a weapon against "those who don't think like I think" when it comes to Husker fandom.

Second most often is when a Husker fan doesn't act nice as pie around a non-Husker fan.

I KNOW! Somebody pulled out the line on me at the Texas game because a Texas fan and I had an exchange of words that was less then pleasant. I generally just ignore opposing fans but 1) This guy started, and 2) I hate Texas!

I'm sorry, but being a Husker fan doesn't make me Jesus Christ. I can't just turn the other cheek, especially to a Texas fan.

Classsic example, We are in Section 18 and it is like a mourge. All the Blue hairs are against standing and cheering. I about got into a fight last year for standing. Glad I didn't get kicked out by the popo.

on the other hand i guess if I were old, I wouldn't want to stand. but I would definitely be loud. hell i'd be standing anyways

100% agree. Crowd was soft, quiet, big time rookie night, seating issues, lots of other things that really tick me off, the woman in front of me didn't stand/clap once. Oh-well things like this happen, last two home games have been draining.

Not to be a jerk, but Bo your team has played flat in two consecutive game, beat yourselves against Texas, played flat for SDSU, and someone from your staff blamed crowd noise on defensive miscues (gee saw a ton of that second half, you know when it was quiet), so yeah, it might get quiet in there from time to time. In the end we will still fill the place.

Sorry I sound brash. Bo's attitude has been ticking me off the last couple of weeks.

Bo's attitude ticks me off a lot less than the entitlement complex fans who want the world delivered to them on Ahman Green's back without doing their part. You're bitching that a 9-1 team is playing 'flat.' Absurd. There was plenty to cheer about at Kansas, namely your blackshirt defense holding an opponent to under a 100 yards which hardly ever happens in the FBS.

Why don't you just admit you need big runs and touchdown passes to get you excited, instead of making excuses.

100% agree. Crowd was soft, quiet, big time rookie night, seating issues, lots of other things that really tick me off, the woman in front of me didn't stand/clap once. Oh-well things like this happen, last two home games have been draining.

Not to be a jerk, but Bo your team has played flat in two consecutive game, beat yourselves against Texas, played flat for SDSU, and someone from your staff blamed crowd noise on defensive miscues (gee saw a ton of that second half, you know when it was quiet), so yeah, it might get quiet in there from time to time. In the end we will still fill the place.

Sorry I sound brash. Bo's attitude has been ticking me off the last couple of weeks.

Bo's attitude ticks me off a lot less than the entitlement complex fans who want the world delivered to them on Ahman Green's back without doing their part. You're bitching that a 9-1 team is playing 'flat.' Absurd. There was plenty to cheer about at Kansas, namely your blackshirt defense holding an opponent to under a 100 yards which hardly ever happens in the FBS.

Why don't you just admit you need big runs and touchdown passes to get you excited, instead of making excuses.

That's not how I read that at all. I don't think anyone is "bitching" because of how our 9-1 team is playing. (If they are, then I'm with you: it's ridiculous to decry a team with that record, particularly when we are only 3 1/2 years removed from one of the worst seasons in NU history in '07) I think there IS some grumbling over the fact that our head coach is criticizing a home crowd that is the most loyal in the sport for a lukewarm reaction to a going-through-the-motions type of game. You wanna see disinterested fans? Go watch Louisville play at Rutgers in mid November. That is a bad crowd.

Last Saturday you saw a very good team play a horrible team in a snoozer of a matchup. Bo's criticism reflects his lack of seasoning as a head coach in terms of fan relations. I don't care how muted the crowd was, that was a stupid thing for Bo to say. He said he felt like he was at a scrimmage...there is a reason for that, and it's called the NU game plan. Our strategy was to gain a lead, any lead, and then pound the bejesus out of a lifeless, impotent KU offense and then split the clock open like a Tauntaun and let it bleed out as fast as possible.

By the way...its defense that gets me excited. I scream loudest when I see Adam Carriker absolutely destroy an opposing signal caller with a blind side sack. And I found last Saturday less than exhilarating. I watched every snap, (and have since re-watched every snap) but I'm not scared of being labeled a "excuse maker" because I'm willing to admit that last week was kind of a boring game.

That's not how I read that at all. I don't think anyone is "bitching" because of how our 9-1 team is playing. (If they are, then I'm with you: it's ridiculous to decry a team with that record, particularly when we are only 3 1/2 years removed from one of the worst seasons in NU history in '07) I think there IS some grumbling over the fact that our head coach is criticizing a home crowd that is the most loyal in the sport for a lukewarm reaction to a going-through-the-motions type of game. You wanna see disinterested fans? Go watch Louisville play at Rutgers in mid November. That is a bad crowd.

Last Saturday you saw a very good team play a horrible team in a snoozer of a matchup. Bo's criticism reflects his lack of seasoning as a head coach in terms of fan relations. I don't care how muted the crowd was, that was a stupid thing for Bo to say. He said he felt like he was at a scrimmage...there is a reason for that, and it's called the NU game plan. Our strategy was to gain a lead, any lead, and then pound the bejesus out of a lifeless, impotent KU offense and then split the clock open like a Tauntaun and let it bleed out as fast as possible.

By the way...its defense that gets me excited. I scream loudest when I see Adam Carriker absolutely destroy an opposing signal caller with a blind side sack. And I found last Saturday less than exhilarating. I watched every snap, (and have since re-watched every snap) but I'm not scared of being labeled a "excuse maker" because I'm willing to admit that last week was kind of a boring game.

I would hope that you wouldn't be scared, as it's the internet and we are all free to make our points and argue them accordingly! But what I'm generalizing (admittedly, I can't say this specifically to you as I don't know you) is if we can call out (example) Barney for not performing last year with an o-line that could barely field 5 for practice at times, those people should show up to games and cheer regardless of how they are "feeling."

I admit to you that, no, it wasn't the most exciting of match ups. I just don't accept poor offense is an excuse for not being loud (as has been mentioned here, in this very thread). Bo called it like he saw it. No, he's not the most seasoned coach. A more seasoned one might have not made that comment, you are right. I, however, enjoy honest people and appreciate that Bo is Bo no matter what or where. It's those same qualities that turned a program that was in abysmal shape into one that now has three consecutive 9 win seasons and is on the verge of playing for in its second consecutive conference championship. It's those same qualities that make parents want to send their kids to play for Bo, or agree to make the trip out here where they can experience the passion our fan base has. Those same qualities that make his players practice so hard.

When the day of the game finally arrives our fans have one job, and that's to cheer loud and make Memorial Stadium a tough place to play. If we want players/coaches to execute no matter what the circumstances, I think (regardless of "how it is"), it's not unfair to expect the fan base to do the same. We buy tickets and support our team better than anyone else, but I think decades of beating the crap out of everyone and the expectation to blow out every team that we as fans don't think is "good," make us kind of prone to sitting on our collective butts when our opponents are not "worthy."

Like anything here, it's just something to think about. I am most annoyed with the offensive bias when it comes to cheering, I think. Defensively, the game against Kansas was the equivalent of our O hanging 60+ on them. so I'm not buying that the product on the field was not worthy of making noise for.

I felt pretty bad when I saw Bo try to pump us up from the sidelines and the crowd responded with a whole lot of nothing. For as much as people read into what Bo thinks or doesn't think about Husker fans, the fact that he makes those comments and tries to pump us up should let us know that we matter, and what we bring to the atmosphere on game day is important. I think everyone is taking this the wrong way. You matter, and he just told you. You may not like the way he went about it, but that is Bo, and sometimes it doesn't hurt to take people for the way they are and just appreciate everything they bring to the table.

Bo is right. The atmosphere was TERRIBLE. Yeah it was a little chilly, even though I didn't think it was, but it was not loud, heck I'd call it barely average. Memorial Stadium could be so much louder. Starting with fixing the sound system so the entire stadium can hear what is being played or said, re-distribute the sound or something, not sure how it's all wired up. Fans need to be loud at the game, the student section where I'm at is generally the loudest and most fun to be at, but even it was lacking on Saturday. After emotional games against Texas and Missouri, yeah, I can see a let down I guess with the opponent, weather and what not for some fans, but I was still yelling and cheering my heart out. If every home game was like Missouri or Texas 10, and Oklahoma 09, with a better sound system, it would be a much more intimidating place and better atmosphere.

is football different than most sports? I understand the crowd being really involved towards the end of pregame/tunnel walk. However, I was watching the Memphis BBall game last night and noticed that the crowd really only got into the game when big plays (steals, dunks, 3-pointers, etc) were happening or long scoring runs. I started to think about other sports and came to a similar conclusion.