Big Big Screen

Published Tuesday

September 13, 2005

Planned NU stadium screen is a whopper

BY RICH KAIPUST AND BILL HORD

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - The planned video screen for Memorial Stadium potentially could be among the largest in college and professional sports, if the installation and proposed dimensions are approved later this week.

According to the University of Nebraska Board of Regents agenda, the video screen that would sit atop the north addition would be 33 feet tall by 117 feet wide. For perspective, the width of a football field is 160 feet.

Tony Mulder, a spokesman for Daktronics Inc. in Brookings, S.D., said a 117-foot-wide screen would be the biggest in a college football venue.

The largest video screen currently is the 107-foot-wide SACO SmartVision screen at Arkansas' Razorback Stadium. According to the SmartVision Web site, it's the largest LED video display at any sports venue.

Daktronics recently installed a 132-foot-wide scoreboard structure as part of Iowa's renovation of Kinnick Stadium. The video portion, however, only spans 68 feet.

The NU Board of Regents will be asked to approve the purchase and installation of the main video screen, along with new screens for the southwest and southeast towers. Cost is listed at $5 million - "to be paid by sponsorships and donations," according to the agenda - and not part of the $50 million project already underway.

The proposal for the project would include construction starting next March and completion by July.

Nebraska Athletic Director Steve Pederson on Monday said he would await approval before commenting on specifics for the video screen. Mulder said visual communications companies haven't yet seen specifications for the proposal, either.

But fans at the Huskers' first two home games have gotten a look at the designed framework, which will hold the board above the North Stadium skyboxes under construction.

Mulder said the size of video screens most often installed in National Football League stadiums is 96 feet wide, about one-third narrower than the proposed Husker screen. Traveling NU fans might remember the 96-foot-wide Sony JumboTron board at Heinz Field, where the Huskers played Pittsburgh last year.

Contact the Omaha World-Herald newsroom

Copyright ©2005 Omaha World-Herald®. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or distributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald.

Keep throwing money at the problems and maybe they'll go away?

I realize we have to keep up our facilities and these kind of things, but we're doing a lot of things right now that could be considered "overkill"! We have thousands of displaced people right now in Louisian, and the best we can do is spend $5 million on a big screen? When I was in college a little less than 10 years ago, my tuition per credit hour was around $58-$62 my years as a college student. Now, tuition is over $100 per credit hour. NU enrollment was down 12 percent this year, and we still think it's a good idea to spend 5 million bucks? I realize the project is supposed to be paid for my sponsors and donations, but not all of the projects going on at Memorial stadium are.

I just wonder what kind of other sports teams we would have if we dedicated this much time and money? Hell, the volleyball team has a lot better run going the past 5 years. Why aren't we spending boo coo bucks on the volleyball program?

Just by comparison, the largest big screen in the entire world is at Turner Field in Atlanta (home of the Atlanta Braves.) The boards is 72 ft. x 80 ft. and I must say, it is incredible the first time you see it. The board comes in HD and is a great site for visitors coming into town.

But although I must say, after the first time, you almost forget it is there to be honest.

scoreboard_600x400.jpg

I realize we have to keep up our facilities and these kind of things, but we're doing a lot of things right now that could be considered "overkill"! We have thousands of displaced people right now in Louisian, and the best we can do is spend $5 million on a big screen? When I was in college a little less than 10 years ago, my tuition per credit hour was around $58-$62 my years as a college student. Now, tuition is over $100 per credit hour. NU enrollment was down 12 percent this year, and we still think it's a good idea to spend 5 million bucks? I realize the project is supposed to be paid for my sponsors and donations, but not all of the projects going on at Memorial stadium are.

I just wonder what kind of other sports teams we would have if we dedicated this much time and money? Hell, the volleyball team has a lot better run going the past 5 years. Why aren't we spending boo coo bucks on the volleyball program?

So put in some money for NU and put some money in for red cross. :thumbs

Possible recruits will definately respond to this one. Sure it seems excessive but what about most D1 football programs is not. When a recruit comes in and sees himself on a screen thant large they will be starstruck. Offer them a chance to play, a coach that can get them to the pros, and dazzle them with the pretty lights.

Sure they could send some money to the gulf, I am also sure a lot of people could spare some money that they do not actually need, but they don't (have to buy 2 extra beverages, two more hot dogs, and maybe one of the cool foam fingers that say were #1). :wasted

I can't blame SP for doing things like this. After all, from much that I have read on these boards, some people are putting a lot pressure on him to turn this thing around. He is going to whatever it takes to get players here. He can't buy them, but he can amaze the crap out of them.

I understand your concerns about Katrina Junior, and I agree to a point, but as far as the cost of tuiton here, the athletic department does a great job of not only paying for themselves, and they are one of the only schools with a self reliant athletic department, but also giving money to the school itself, so you cant blame them for the rising cost of tuition. You can blame that on budget cuts at the state and national level on education. Its easy to cut education when your running two separate very expensive wars.

NU isn't the only school raising tuition, CU and CSU have raised tuition the last couple of years also. I believe many schools have raised tuition. It is becoming more and more expensive to get and education. I am sure that there will be quite a few people in debt up to their ears after they graduate. I know I will be.

The football program spends the most money because they bring in the most money. They also have the largest team. What other NU team has 120+ players?