Other than the roughing the passer, exactly which call was bad?

I just rewatched the game on DVR, and, while I admit that 16-2 sounds really bad, there aren't a lot of individual bad calls that I can find to complain about, with the notable exception of the late roughing call. As an Aggie fan, I felt the same way about the obviously bad roughing call that kept the Nebraska drive alive in 2006. I would be very upset about the roughing call last night as well, if I were you guys.

I would also be upset that the officials did not see our DT playing dirty on the play when yall's #81 went off. But he had to call the kick. He had to call him for taking his helmet off. Pelini was begging for a personal fouls with the way he was relentlessly cussing out the sideline ref. The PI that was picked up would have been exasperating but, again, it was the right call.

I can understand you guys being frustrated, but (in my opinion) you guys are going way overboard. That has not been my history with you guys, and it is surprising to me. I will be rooting for you guys in the Big 10, as I hate all of those teams.

How are the calls against Martin BS -- no one has seen replay -- NO one knows what he was called for -

All the procedure penalties are fine. We are used to that from the past two years. Yeah, I'll agree that Cotton should have been penalized. He was getting the business but he should have controlled that. Human error there on the officials. The penalties that are BS are the ones on Eric Martin, Courtney Osbourne, and the no-call on the A&M DB. Now, they never actually showed the penalties on Eric Martin so that's an automatic BS right there. Courtney Osbourne made a legal hit on Ryan Tannehill a half second after he threw the ball. Not illegal. Finally, that no-call on the A&M which was obviously PI. Here's the thing, if the DB had just jumped in front of the pass, no big deal. But, he was holding onto the receiver's arm as he did it which didn't allow him to catch the ball. Obvious PI.

That, my Aggie friend, is why we are angry.

Watch that. Your player should have gotten a penalty like that as well as ben cotton's penalty. Of course, you wont rspond to this post because you would then have to admit that i was a penalty on A&M as well

Ricky Henry personal foul, Eric Martin personal fouls that weren't explained in the slightest (not unnecessary roughness, not late hit, NOTHING), that was not pass interference, Dennard has the right to go for the ball as much as Fuller does. If they're going to pick up the pass interference on A&M how the hell does someone not pick up the roughing the passer penalty? It was a horribly-officiated game all around. If you think your team went from second-most penalized in the Big 12 to 2 penalties for 10 yards overnight, you're fooling yourself.

• Fire 1

Well, I STRONGLY disagree about two things:

1) the PI on your DB on the 3rd down play to Fuller was, to me, obviously the right call.

2) the non-PI on our DB on the 3rd down play near the goalline was, to me, obviously the right call (though it was close). The flag never should have been thrown in the first place.

I can understand those two calls frustrating you guys. Truly, I can. But I think your emotion is getting the best of you. I thought both of those calls were correct.

That's just my honest opinion.

You have some real balls coming on this board the day after your win and spout off your nonsense about the game being called fairly. If you really believe anything your saying then I'm afraid you must have your overgrown Aggie head shoved too far up the asses of the Big 12 and/or aTm, because that was the single most egregious example of officiating bias in American sports since the NBA's 2002 western conf finals.

• Fire 3

I just rewatched the game on DVR, and, while I admit that 16-2 sounds really bad, there aren't a lot of individual bad calls that I can find to complain about, with the notable exception of the late roughing call. As an Aggie fan, I felt the same way about the obviously bad roughing call that kept the Nebraska drive alive in 2006. I would be very upset about the roughing call last night as well, if I were you guys.

I would also be upset that the officials did not see our DT playing dirty on the play when yall's #81 went off. But he had to call the kick. He had to call him for taking his helmet off. Pelini was begging for a personal fouls with the way he was relentlessly cussing out the sideline ref. The PI that was picked up would have been exasperating but, again, it was the right call.

I can understand you guys being frustrated, but (in my opinion) you guys are going way overboard. That has not been my history with you guys, and it is surprising to me. I will be rooting for you guys in the Big 10, as I hate all of those teams.

How are the calls against Martin BS -- no one has seen replay -- NO one knows what he was called for -

All the procedure penalties are fine. We are used to that from the past two years. Yeah, I'll agree that Cotton should have been penalized. He was getting the business but he should have controlled that. Human error there on the officials. The penalties that are BS are the ones on Eric Martin, Courtney Osbourne, and the no-call on the A&M DB. Now, they never actually showed the penalties on Eric Martin so that's an automatic BS right there. Courtney Osbourne made a legal hit on Ryan Tannehill a half second after he threw the ball. Not illegal. Finally, that no-call on the A&M which was obviously PI. Here's the thing, if the DB had just jumped in front of the pass, no big deal. But, he was holding onto the receiver's arm as he did it which didn't allow him to catch the ball. Obvious PI.

Watch that. Your player should have gotten a penalty like that as well as ben cotton's penalty. Of course, you wont rspond to this post because you would then have to admit that i was a penalty on A&M as well

I've already admitted that it was a dirty play by the A&M player. I'm embarrassed by it. It was a penalty. But it wasn't seen. There were at least two obvious holds against NU that weren't seen, either.

The calls against Martin are BS for two reasons:

1. No replay was shown. I know that isn't the officials' faults, but still.

2. The officials gave no explanation to the fouls. They are obligated to do that. It's their job. None was given.

Well, I STRONGLY disagree about two things:

1) the PI on your DB on the 3rd down play to Fuller was, to me, obviously the right call.

2) the non-PI on our DB on the 3rd down play near the goalline was, to me, obviously the right call (though it was close). The flag never should have been thrown in the first place.

I can understand those two calls frustrating you guys. Truly, I can. But I think your emotion is getting the best of you. I thought both of those calls were correct.

That's just my honest opinion.

Agree on the first one, would have to see a replay on the second. That one stung real bad. I just remember being pretty unhappy with it, and not really what exactly happened.

I have always avoided topics like this, but I'm starting to think I was just naive for refusing to consider them. With the Tim Donaghy ordeal, the numerous baseball scandals in recent years and stuff like this, I think you have at least look at things a little bit more critically. And to refuse to think there isn't good reason for Beebe and everyone committed to the Big 12 conference to dislike Nebraska just isn't rational.

So I'm not trying to stir things just for the sake of stirring, but let's think about how a ref or group of refs would change the game in the event of clear biases or outright conspiracy. How would you change the game in the most subtle way possible? You certainly wouldn't do it with a whole bunch of penalties that didn't exist, or making outright terrible calls in the case of fumbles, catches, sideline plays, etc. Because all of those things can and likely will be noticed and criticized by the announcers and the media (as has happened with the Osborne late hit).

No, you would do it instead with a handful of no calls in areas where the rules had gray areas (holding). And combining David Ubben's statistic about the unusually low number of penalties against Nebraska's opponents with the absurd display last night, and it would be ridiculous to not at least consider the smoke here.

Hey Troll,

Here is a great response from the Omaha World Herald. I don't know this guy but it sounds like he has been a referee and played sports for a long time. I am not mad about the screw job. I knew it was coming since we joined the Big 10 in June.

Posted by: Big B on 11/21/10 @ 8:47 am: Taken from the comments section in the Omaha World Herald.

Are you kidding me Tom?!? Did you WATCH the game??

This was NOT a simple case of one team playing sloppy and the other playing error-free. This was a case of one team being allowed to do anything and everything (i.e. multiple uncalled holding infractions, hitting players after the whistle, uncalled facemask tackles, etc, ALL right in front of officials), while the other team was called for dubious penalties repeatedly (I will stipulate the false start penalties). Seemingly, everytime the Huskers made a "good" play, out popped a yellow flag.

I've played, coached, refereed, and of course watched sports for years, and I can tell when there is something well beyond the game going on. This game reminded me of the scene in Remember the Titans when the officials were out to make sure that the Titans didn't win to get back at coach Boone. SHAMEFUL. I've only been involved with something this disgraceful a couple times in my 40 years of playing sports, and I can tell you, it is borderline impossible to "overcome" not only the 12th man, but #13, 14 or 15 "helpers" as well. Our players did everything they possibly could - how can you fault them?

Maybe YOU and Bo can't talk about the officials, but, I sure can. Of course, the phantom roughing the passer call was the clincher, along with the inexplicable picked up flag on pass interference - they GAVE the game to the Aggies - but, in this game, there wasn't even the usual attempt to even out the penalties to "make it look better". Referees are instructed to NEVER be the deciding factor in a game unless an infraction at the end of the game is so eggregious that it cannot be ignored. Guess these refs must of forgotten that lesson. Maybe they slept through that class?

Call it incompetence, conspiracy, or insolence, I say GOOD RIDDANCE to the little 12!! GO BIG RED!!

Unfortunately there were a number of penalties (6-7) which were legitimate. The issue mainly is with 1) The Pass Interference which Herbstreit commented was a bad call 2) Courtney Osbourne's Legal hit 3) Eric Martin's unexplainable penalties which were believed to be legal play by Pelini. Pelini got in Cotton's face about his kicking, do you think he wouldn't have done the same if Eric Martin had been making poor plays? I'm not so worried about them picking up the flag, that was questionable. I would have wished they hadn't thrown that intentional, but it was in the questionable area as well. The procedure and false-start penalties were pretty normal. Mostly it is the opinion calls (PI, personal fouls) which are the issue. It was obvious that they were interested in making this a hard day for Nebraska. Pick up the 3 bad flags and maybe the fourth and you are talking about 60 yards. Considering two of them (PI and Courney Osbourne's hit) led to extended drives which resulted in 6 points, it is game-changing. We had you on 4th down in 3 cases in which 2 of the calls were legitimately bad calls and the 3rd was still not a cut and dry case. We're not talking about 1st down penalties. All of the calls came at inopportune times. Pinning us on own our 5 or 2 yard-line and extending your drives on 3rd downs.