Tired of the National Press

like we were under Callahan, instead of 9-2? Yes, I'm a little upset with Bo's outbursts. But the national media is just having a field day with this, and I'm a little sick of it. Give me a break. Did he grab anyone's face mask (ala Woody)? Did he throw something (like a chair) onto the field (ala Bobby)? Did he lock a kid in a dark room (ala the Pirate)? Come freakin' on, he yelled at the ref's.

The only thing I'm really disappointed in is the language. He needs to learn to stop dropping the F-Bomb.

Yea, I think so. Was OSU any good when Gundy was a man and 40? (I don't remember). Was Leach's team any good when the James thing happened? I think they were struggling bad. As it stands now, we're just a Top 20 team anyway. This is the sort of thing that probably gets attention regardless, and we would be getting more if we were still a top 5 team. If we were irrelevant it would be in a different context but maybe not much smaller. Everyone loves a story about an off-the-wall HC who can't control himself. Even if it's not totally the case.

To be honest I am disappointed in several aspects of Pelini's actions, but language is probably the one I will never fault him for. It's not a PG-13 movie for crissake. Never had a coach swear before?

The problem is that the Pelini anger story is low-hanging fruit. Anyone can grasp it, so that's the primary story. Bo and Carl add fuel to the fire, and that's ridiculous, but the media simply ignores a very real situation in the ridiculous penalty disparity Nebraska's facing this season. To run with that story would necessitate explaining statistical analyses to an audience with an average 8th-grade education, and the national media simply isn't going to get into it. It's far easier to post a picture of Angry Bo and say, "Nebraska Has Anger Issues."

This is the national media. It panders to the audience, and that audience is largely ignorant. Short of raising the general intelligence of the country, this will not change.

im actually surprised at the lack of coverage over it. i think nebraska fans are making a bigger deal of it than the rest of the country.

Really? It was on the front page of ESPN all day yesterday, led Pat Forde's weekly column and the weekly Bottom 10 on ESPN, and was on Around the Horn and PTI. It's getting way overblown.

Yea, I think so. Was OSU any good when Gundy was a man and 40? (I don't remember). Was Leach's team any good when the James thing happened? I think they were struggling bad. As it stands now, we're just a Top 20 team anyway. This is the sort of thing that probably gets attention regardless, and we would be getting more if we were still a top 5 team. If we were irrelevant it would be in a different context but maybe not much smaller. Everyone loves a story about an off-the-wall HC who can't control himself. Even if it's not totally the case.

To be honest I am disappointed in several aspects of Pelini's actions, but language is probably the one I will never fault him for. It's not a PG-13 movie for crissake. Never had a coach swear before?

I've heard coaches swear plenty -- I just didn't realize one guy could use the same word some many times in such a short span. Hear and there, fine. Every other word out of your mouth when you are on national TV is another thing in my opinion.

If we were 5-7 it'd be worse. They'd be starting the Bo's-getting-fired rumor mill.

KC radio Kevin Klunk-smeier said today while talking to Jack Harry that if NU loses to CU he is on record that Bo is fired. Then said it was bad for the media because its an easy story to talk about the head Bo-zo from NU. Then he asked Jack what he thought and he didn't think much one way or the other of the ref baiting, but going off on "that kid" was reprehensible. Then Kevin asked how that was different from KSU bball coach Frank Martin. Jack said that's different because Frank is trying to teach the kid and the kid knows Frank has his back and really cares about him.

Huh?

If we were 5-7 it'd be worse. They'd be starting the Bo's-getting-fired rumor mill.

KC radio Kevin Klunk-smeier said today while talking to Jack Harry that if NU loses to CU he is on record that Bo is fired. Then said it was bad for the media because its an easy story to talk about the head Bo-zo from NU. Then he asked Jack what he thought and he didn't think much one way or the other of the ref baiting, but going off on "that kid" was reprehensible. Then Kevin asked how that was different from KSU bball coach Frank Martin. Jack said that's different because Frank is trying to teach the kid and the kid knows Frank has his back and really cares about him.

Huh?

How do you stand listening to that crap?

im actually surprised at the lack of coverage over it. i think nebraska fans are making a bigger deal of it than the rest of the country.

It would be nice if that were true.

LINK

LINK (one of literally dozens from ESPN)

LINK

LINK

i guess i should have said lack of support. ive seen all the stories. after this week, it wont be an issue. a lot of 30 second blurbs from talking heads...but it is really lacking any kind of true support. former co-workers, huge football fans, from around the country are completely non-plussed by it. i still truly feel nebraska fans are beating the horse and throwing it around more than anyone else.

I really don't think it needs all of this press it has gotten thus far. I think it's what the rest of the nation probably wants to see out of NU. As far as persona Bo is opposite of Coach Oz.

Question I have is do you guys think Bo would have been better served in these types of situations trying to coach up his team and make adjustments rather than follow the ref up and down the field.

As a heads up: I am not, nor have I claimed to be a better coach, or know more than Bo.