please explain the WCO

godd2

but just watching the vast illegal formation calls, our boys don't get it. Sorry.

What's not to get? We have to have 7 on the line and 4 in the backfield. That is taught in freakin junior high. Phillips needs to pull his head out of his backside. When is Herian coming back?

I'm sorry about people saying this offense is to complex for College kids. Like has been said by others watch USC. I watched that game last night and they line up in so many different formations and have so many shifts it not even funny. Is that offense to complex for those guys? Are theirs kids so much smarter then ours?

I'm sorry, that simply isn't true. Listen to what plays are being called, and you'll realize the system is over the heads of this brand new Husker team. No, there is no excuse for the poor performance of the offensive line, but just watching the vast illegal formation calls, our boys don't get it. Sorry.

:dis as much as someone can disagree about anything ever.

I hate to say it, but our players are not USC players. We cannot compete in their league. They have had time to be taught this system and to be well versed in its execution. It sucks for the Husker faithful, but we cannot continue on this way. Something is not working, correct? Either the players do not understand, the players aren't connecting with each other, or the players are not talented. Which would you rather have? I am an optimist. I choose to believe that the offensive style, as impressive as it occasionally looks, could be modified (if you would prefer, rather than simplified) to accommodate the players we have. Something needs to happen, right? If it isn't modify, then what is it? Scrap the entire thing and start anew? I don't understand your conviction to this idea. It will lead the Huskers nowhere.

Perhaps the WCO isn't the answer. It's not exactly a major breakthrough in football. What is the point of recruiting the likes of Lucky if we throw the ball around and put the team in 2nd & long or 3rd & long situations and then it's time to punt. The play calling or game plans have been terrible and I'm being kind. We only moved the ball in the 4th quarter because we lined up and started running the ball right at Pitt which we should have been doing all day. Going into the game Pitts weakness was against the run so why do them a favor and throw? Our coaches are clueless when it comes to making adjustments we saw it last year and it continues this year. And Callahan looking down at that sheet of paper on the sidelines doesn't provide any answers, maybe you don't know the plays either.

As far as mechanics go, why doesn't Taylor step up in the pocket? He basically backed into two sacks at the end of the first half, ruining a super punt return by Nunn.

I think we won this game on superior personel, and more than a little luck. That isn't going to happen much in the Big XII, even if we are playing in the JV...erm...I mean North.

newearthhusker Posted on Sep 18 2005, 01:41 PM

QUOTE (mcrooks7 @ Sep 18 2005, 01:24 PM)

but just watching the vast illegal formation calls, our boys don't get it. Sorry. 

What's not to get? We have to have 7 on the line and 4 in the backfield. That is taught in freakin junior high. Phillips needs to pull his head out of his backside. When is Herian coming back?

I'm sorry about people saying this offense is to complex for College kids. Like has been said by others watch USC. I watched that game last night and they line up in so many different formations and have so many shifts it not even funny. Is that offense to complex for those guys? Are theirs kids so much smarter then ours? 

this isnt USC, not USC's players, and not USC's coaches so its totally uncompareable. the fact that they run a similar offense=nothing, possibly its the way it is being presented is where the problem is. teams all over the nation run the WCO of some sort, but dont seem to struggle nearly as bad as the players here have, youll never convince me they cant figure out how to line up for a snap because they are all too stupid to understand. this offense will work, has worked, and will continue to work. there seems to be a problem with players not understanding and that has nothing to do with talent level, that is just basic IQ. if the coaching staff can get the players to understand the offense will produce something, low talent level or not we should have put op more points in the first three games against suspect defenses.

newearthhusker Posted on Sep 18 2005, 01:41 PM

QUOTE (mcrooks7 @ Sep 18 2005, 01:24 PM)

this isnt USC, not USC's players, and not USC's coaches so its totally uncompareable. the fact that they run a similar offense=nothing, possibly its the way it is being presented is where the problem is. teams all over the nation run the WCO of some sort, but dont seem to struggle nearly as bad as the players here have, youll never convince me they cant figure out how to line up for a snap because they are all too stupid to understand. this offense will work, has worked, and will continue to work. there seems to be a problem with players not understanding and that has nothing to do with talent level, that is just basic IQ. if the coaching staff can get the players to understand the offense will produce something, low talent level or not we should have put op more points in the first three games against suspect defenses.

Trust me, I'm not calling our boys stupid. I agree with you 100% that there is a coaching problem. Just adapt and change to the situation. The fact that there should have been more points on the board doesn't excuse the fact that there weren't more points scored. So the coaching staff need to find something that will work.

I agree USC is running a more complex offense, but let's remember that Pete Carroll had a .500 season or two in there before things got better. Heck, SC came to the LV Bowl when Leinart was a frosh.

Nebraska isn't USC, doesn't have USC's players, and USC's coaches, take the defense and exploit what they see, not what they wished they'd see, so you can't compare the success of USC to the mediocrity of Nebraska's current offensive attack. The fact that they run a similar offense gives us no where to go with the argument beyond talent. The Trojans have the best talent in the country this season, on the field and on the sidelines. How they do it, I am not sure. Don't follow them very closely although I am beginning to see more, now that I don't have to endure a non-Nebraska Big 12 game of the week any more.

Let's look at both teams in their last two games.

SC has put up 1354 total offense yards and scored 133 points in two blowout victories over Hawaii and Arkansas. They were penalized 13 times for 120 yards over the two game stretch.

Nebraska has 502 total yards and 38 points in the last two games. The Huskers were penalized 21 times for 177 yards.

Statistically execution using the offense is the issue. Not sure we can point at playcalling yet, since penalties take you onto a different play selection chart. Assuming that the penalties are against our offensive units, the gameplan needs to be developed more extensively in long yardage situations and practice reps given to promote a feel for the looks that we need to have success in sustaining drives in long yardage situations has to grow.

Our coaching staff knows what will work...they just need the players to execute against the defense without getting penalized for their actions.

Our running game and passing game need to complement each other and find weaknesses in the opponent. Isn't that why we watch film, film, film, to see what another team has that we can take advantage of?

Cally has said that we will take what we want, and that is certainly true, but averaging 250 yards against non-conference competition doesn't promote the confidence most of us desire in a Husker offense.

Hopefully the BYE week serves us well. Heaven knows, that ISU and TT are ready to take us to task again.

Let's not be embarrassed again, Bill.

JUST SAY NO!

A tough loss to the Cyclones last season and the embarrassment on TNT called the Tech game is enough to last for the Husker faithful.

LET'S GO BIG RED!

HReb

Bad post on my behalf...I was trying to use the quotes feature and got caught in some bad HTML.

Cally can relate, though, as the quote feature might just be like running the WCO two TE set without a passing threat at TE.

The rest of you can attack me based on the rotten play calling on my behalf using the quote feature...gee, I guess I wanted to get what I wanted instead of what was given to me.

Hey, that sounds somewhat familiar.

Hope my "modify" looks better, and thanks for the heads up.

HReb

"We are going to challenge people all year."~Mike Sanford, UNLV head coach

"The challenge, although only mild to the other teams we face, may be to have the stadium with enough fans to drone out the visitors to Vegas."~HREB after UNLV's disappointing loss to Reno. "This would never happen at Nebraska, or would it?"

Bad post on my behalf...I was trying to use the quotes feature and got caught in some bad HTML.

Cally can relate, though, as the quote feature might just be like running the WCO two TE set without a passing threat at TE.

The rest of you can attack me based on the rotten play calling on my behalf using the quote feature...gee, I guess I wanted to get what I wanted instead of what was given to me.

Hey, that sounds somewhat familiar.

Hope my "modify" looks better, and thanks for the heads up.

HReb

"We are going to challenge people all year."~Mike Sanford, UNLV head coach

"The challenge, although only mild to the other teams we face, may be to have the stadium with enough fans to drone out the visitors to Vegas."~HREB after UNLV's disappointing loss to Reno. "This would never happen at Nebraska, or would it?"

1) I wasn't trying to attack you, just wondering what you were trying to say there.

2) That might be the worst similie I've ever read. Wow. Impressively bad.

Just wanted to jump in here a second. I don't say much anymore, but I'm still observing. If you'll watch USC, the basic principles are the same, but it is not nearly as complicated as BC's offense. The reason we get so many formation penalties is all that shifting before every play. I think there's a minimum of 2-3 shifts every play...sometimes more. Anyone is going to rack up formation penalties doing that. USC doesn't do that. And I can gaurantee you that their play names aren't as ridiculously long as ours. It seems to me (and I'd welcome any comment on this) that Callahan's version of the WCO is complex for the sake of complexity. All those shifts and extra formations aren't really giving us any kind of advantage, but they are confusing our players. USC is having success with a much simpler version of the WCO.

There...now proceed to rip me apart, please. :)