Fire Shawn Watson

Kruzu

For the ones that want Watson gone, who would you like to see as the new OC and explain why?

This is a red herring. It is not incumbent upon those calling for Watson's head to name his successor, just like it wasn't necessary to name Callahan's successor when people realized he needed to go. It's enough to look at a man's performance and, based solely on its merits, to determine he needs to go.

Not to speak for UM but I believe a better way to word this is who could do better? There is an absolute refusal to address the obsticals that Watson has had to deal with, and has done with relitve success.

I'm not fully on the "Fire Watson" bandwagon... My patience is wearing thin though...

I'd say this describes me pretty well. Watson reminds me a lot of Niles Paul - both have potential to be great, but both seem hamstrung by their own ineptitude sometimes. When they're on, they're great. When they're off .... we lose games.

• Fire 1

Every play works if it's executed properly. But sometimes poor execution is a result of poor strategy.

The Texas game is an example where I don't think Watson can be blamed too much - all we had to do was catch the ball.

The A&M game was something else entirely.

Hercules, I'd put the SDSU at the top of the game for strategy-related issues, but the entire staff as well as all the players were unprepared for it as anything more than a scrimmage.

Glad we see eye to eye on Texas.

Against A&M our options were hobbled Taylor and deer-in-headlights Green. I did wonder where the Rexcat was that game, but honestly penalties really killed us. A young, fragile and hobbled offense wasn't able to respond well to tough 2nd and 3rd down situations all day in that stadium and I think that is basically the storyline of what happened. Still, I am disappointed in the offense but Cody clearly wasn't in the game that day and Taylor was clearly toughing out some serious ankle pain, so I don't know what you can do.

I know our options were limited in the A&M game, but we seemed to be completely in the dark when Cody entered the game. I mean, it was like we didn't think there was any chance that Taylor might re-aggravate his injury. We saw what Cody did with a week's preparation against Colorado today - he was not that prepared in the A&M game. And A&M featured a much better defense, but we simply did not have a creative Plan B in place in College Station, which I fully believe we should have.

For the ones that want Watson gone, who would you like to see as the new OC and explain why?

This is a red herring. It is not incumbent upon those calling for Watson's head to name his successor, just like it wasn't necessary to name Callahan's successor when people realized he needed to go. It's enough to look at a man's performance and, based solely on its merits, to determine he needs to go.

Not to speak for UM but I believe a better way to word this is who could do better? There is an absolute refusal to address the obsticals that Watson has had to deal with, and has done with relitve success.

Doesn't matter how you rephrase it. The question is irrelevant. You and I could throw out a list of 5-500 names, some of whom would inevitably be "better" than Shawn Watson, and we could spend hours in fruitless discussion about whether this or that guy would come here, would succeed, would fail, whatever.

The reality is that that entire discussion is moot to the discussion of Watson's success (or lack thereof) at Nebraska. I don't have to identify a successor to tell you Watson sucks. Watson sucks regardless of whether I name his successor or not (if you're in the camp that Watson sucks, that is).

I'm not fully on the "Fire Watson" bandwagon... My patience is wearing thin though...

I'd say this describes me pretty well. Watson reminds me a lot of Niles Paul - both have potential to be great, but both seem hamstrung by their own ineptitude sometimes. When they're on, they're great. When they're off .... we lose games.

Very good description. :yeah

I've come to the realization that there is nothing Watson can do to win over the fan base. I can only think of one game (texas tech 09) where a game plan was not drawn up that put the team in a position to win. However the people on this board seem to think that it is the OC's job to catch the ball, not fumble, or to magicaly heal injured players. Look at what happned to Bama's offnese today when they went down to their back up qb. We are on our third string and people act like that should not impact an offense in any way. What is hard to understand that the offense has looked pretty good for about 8 out of 12 games, and the games when it has looked poor have been due to exicution not play calling or game plan.

When it comes to the fact that like last weeks game if we simply score ONE DARN td, we win. In addition, that fact has happened in 4 of our 6 losses over the last 2 years. Think about that a sec. Now, this offense was explosive to start the year. But Watson lacks the overall consistency and smarts in playcalling. Perfect example, today, on the goal line, he call a counter with a pulling guard. you dont pull lineman on the goalline. Just go straight ahead. And i agree with the poster that notates the defense scoring points today theoretically. We had 21 points for sure that came off golden field position set up by to's. Im sorry but i have lost hope with Watson, it's just not working, but who knows, with another year of developement, maybe the staff and player combination will continue to gel. I just dont forsee it on a consistent basis.

Again we are playing our 3rd string qb who (I believe) had a concussion 3 weeks ago, The counter play with the lineman pulling I would not have called, but there is a reason I'm not coaching. The fact that no one can deny is that Watson's game plan has had us in a position to win 25 out of the last 26 games had the game plan been exicuted properly what more can us ask of an OC.

Yeah, as long as you have the nation's best defense keeping it close. With an average defense we lose a couple handfuls of those games.

I've come to the realization that there is nothing Watson can do to win over the fan base. I can only think of one game (texas tech 09) where a game plan was not drawn up that put the team in a position to win. However the people on this board seem to think that it is the OC's job to catch the ball, not fumble, or to magicaly heal injured players. Look at what happned to Bama's offnese today when they went down to their back up qb. We are on our third string and people act like that should not impact an offense in any way. What is hard to understand that the offense has looked pretty good for about 8 out of 12 games, and the games when it has looked poor have been due to exicution not play calling or game plan.

When it comes to the fact that like last weeks game if we simply score ONE DARN td, we win. In addition, that fact has happened in 4 of our 6 losses over the last 2 years. Think about that a sec. Now, this offense was explosive to start the year. But Watson lacks the overall consistency and smarts in playcalling. Perfect example, today, on the goal line, he call a counter with a pulling guard. you dont pull lineman on the goalline. Just go straight ahead. And i agree with the poster that notates the defense scoring points today theoretically. We had 21 points for sure that came off golden field position set up by to's. Im sorry but i have lost hope with Watson, it's just not working, but who knows, with another year of developement, maybe the staff and player combination will continue to gel. I just dont forsee it on a consistent basis.

Again we are playing our 3rd string qb who (I believe) had a concussion 3 weeks ago, The counter play with the lineman pulling I would not have called, but there is a reason I'm not coaching. The fact that no one can deny is that Watson's game plan has had us in a position to win 25 out of the last 26 games had the game plan been exicuted properly what more can us ask of an OC.

Yeah, as long as you have the nation's best defense keeping it close. With an average defense we lose a couple handfuls of those games.

That doesn't change the fact that a solid game plan was drawn up for those games, and had it not been for turnovers and misatkes made by the players than the offensive nubmers look a lot better.

That doesn't change the fact that a solid game plan was drawn up for those games, and had it not been for turnovers and misatkes made by the players than the offensive nubmers look a lot better.

If only COZ, Callahan & Bohl had you on their side.

Somewhere along the line, people need to be held accountable. Excuse after excuse. If the players are making so many mistakes, they need to be accountable to the position coach, if the position coach can't train players properly they need to be accountable to the OC, if the OC can't get that done he needs to answer to the HC. Somewhere along the line people aren't doing their jobs. It not just Wats, but if he can't hold people below him accountable he's going to run out of excuses.

Somewhere along the line, people need to be held accountable. Excuse after excuse. If the players are making so many mistakes, they need to be accountable to the position coach, if the position coach can't train players properly they need to be accountable to the OC, if the OC can't get that done he needs to answer to the HC. Somewhere along the line people aren't doing their jobs. It not just Wats, but if he can't hold people below him accountable he's going to run out of excuses.

Is he allowed to hold the coaches under him accountable? :facepalm:

Not sure what you're getting at here... If you mean he can't fire them, I guess I would assume he can't directly fire them, but I have a strong feeling if he told Bo "X coach isn't getting it done for me" Bo would take his word on it and make the changes necessary. Accountability doesn't necessarily mean firing somebody, and I'm not on the staff so all I can do is speculate.

The question should NOT be who is his replacement, but rather, what has he done to warrant continuing as the OC at Nebraska???

My whole issue with Wats is his inability to instill an identity!!! What are we? What are our strengths?

I am sick of all this "multiple" crap! Let's form an identity, recruit and develop to that identity and be successful week in, week out!

Honestly, what coach doesn't deal with injuries? And what has he done to retain his current position????

Ya I want Watson gone and I'd rather have Greg Knapp.

Greg Knapp: Current qb coach for the Houston Texans, has been offensive coordinator for the Falcons, Seahawks, and 49ers. He is the one responsible for developing Matt Schaub into a starting qb in the NFL and he likes a run focused west coast offensive, which means Nebraska wouldn't have a giant shift in a playbook and we would still stay dedicated to the run. He recieved oc of the year at Atlanta and in the same year they averaged the most rushing yds a game in the NFL. He also handled Vick and was his mentor his first few years when he had the greatest growth in his pre-jail period. So he can handle big attitude players and he can develop players too. He knows how to run an offense in a way Nebraska fans would enjoy. Oh and the running back for the Texans this year just happens to be leading the NFL. As only being a qb coach in the NFL he might actually look to join prestigious Nebraska as the head man of the offense.

• Fire 1

yes those under him should be held accountable, so we need to take a serious look through the coaches this off-season and see who's doing their job to an acceptable standard for Nebraska and it's tradition and take action after that