Fire Shawn Watson

Kruzu

Ok I didnt read all the posts in here because im lazy, but im giving my 2 cents here.

I dont care what watson does against extremely weaker opponents because we have the talent and the depth to overcome it. When we face a team with some discipline on the defensive side of the ball, he gets stubborn calls the same crap over and over. Teams that play their assignments will stop the zone read 8 out of 10 times. This offense isnt the next big thing it was the next big thing 5 years ago. Quite frankly im getting sick of it, it has been this way for the last 2 years. In our last 6 losses we have scored exactly 2 OFFENSIVE TDs and one of those came when the game was already out of hand. You can blame injuries and bad execution all you want, but it all comes down to the man upstairs with the headset on.

Here is the problem with almost all the posters, they fall in two camps.

1. If the offense does bad then its not Watsons fault because of (insert excuse here, injury, drops, refs, Bo telling him not to be aggressive).

2. If the offense does well then its not because of Watson it is because of (amazing player, facing bad defense)

The fact is, he has called some really good games and some really bad games. I think what bothers most people is that when they face a team that is in the top 30 or maybe even top 40 in scoring defense that Watson tends to get shut down.

He just seems to get outcoached or possibly tries to out smart himself at times.

well thats a nice way of saying he sucks. guess you fall in your own camp.

:lol:

GBR!!!

Why do we consistently choke against any team that doesn't life up its skirt?

Because whenever we light up a team, we consider the other team to be lifting up its skirt.

We have straight up smashed the Buffaloes today, even with Cody Green, who has had a very good and maybe even redeeming day. #3 QB and all that, it suddenly looks like we got something to work with in the CCG.

You do realize colorado just finished with 5 wins right? Bad team...

Missouri? Oklahoma State?

Colorado had everything to play for today and we were seriously ailing on offense. Down to a 3rd string QB few believed in, maybe even including the staff. Just lost our top WR at the start of the week. I don't see how this game can't be seen as a huge credit to the offense especially considering what they had to work with.

Sorry Colorado 5-7...they stink. Sorry. They should get beaten up by a 16th ranked team. Okst's defense is horrible. Missouri we jumped out early and then scored 7 points the rest of the game! South Dakota St 17 points. Texas no offensive touchdowns. A&M no offensive touchdowns. Two touchdowns against a horrendous kansas defense. Sorry but his inconsistencies show he's not that great.

But let's put aside points and production because realistically almost all offenses have bad games (those that don't lose their o coordinator to an HC job). How about all the false starts? Why are we false starting at home? Watson is not above reproach because he hasn't done much to show that he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Nothing personal against him just seeing the offense so hot and cold makes you wonder why.

Here is the problem with almost all the posters, they fall in two camps.

1. If the offense does bad then its not Watsons fault because of (insert excuse here, injury, drops, refs, Bo telling him not to be aggressive).

2. If the offense does well then its not because of Watson it is because of (amazing player, facing bad defense)

The fact is, he has called some really good games and some really bad games. I think what bothers most people is that when they face a team that is in the top 30 or maybe even top 40 in scoring defense that Watson tends to get shut down.

He just seems to get outcoached or possibly tries to out smart himself at times.

well thats a nice way of saying he sucks. guess you fall in your own camp.

I do fall into my own camp, thats why I said "ALMOST ALL THE POSTERS".

I think he does suck.

My biggest problem with Watson has and will continue to be the preparation of his players and the execution they put out on the field. Both lack on offense.

I was actually quite proud of him early in the season. With the exception of the SDSU and Texas games, we were doing well offensively and putting up pretty big numbers. And it wasn't just all coming from Martinez. Much of it was, but Helu and Burkhead were putting up big numbers and we were playing well against teams with pretty good defenses (Ok. St.).

That said, in our last six losses, we have failed to score a single offensive touchdown. Somebody brought up the fact that Alabama lost their starting QB and their offense suffered as well yesterday. It's a fair point, but I have two counters. First, we know Martinez is hurt, yet when Green was called into the game a couple of times this season we didn't change our game plan. Cody cannot run the same offense Martinez runs because just simply isn't fast enough. Second, Alabama has scored at least two offensive touchdowns in each of their last three losses.

In my opinion, Nebraska has two entirely different football teams. On defense, you have a disciplined, well coached, well prepared, smart, fiery, and athletic squad that is competitive in almost every game and in my opinion only had one bad game this year against OSU. On offense, you have a team that doesn't look disciplined, doesn't look well prepared, makes stupid mistakes, and doesn't play with the same fire or passion of the defense.

Bo is the "head coach", yes, but it's quite obvious his forte is defense and he will always put focus on that side of the ball. Similarly, T.O. was never really in charge of the defense when he coached and left most of that up to McBride.

Assistant coaches are an important part to championship winning teams and I simply don't think Watson (or Cotton) is capable of putting consistent units out there on the football field.

I'm not a fan of his, reason being he's so inconsistent. He'll call one good game for every three, from what I've seen. We can't have that kind of inconsistency and expect to beat a good team let alone play for a NC. He's had plenty of time to pull his head out of his rear. Having said that he called a pretty good game last night. He did kind of start screwing the pooch with the play calling at the end of the 3rd, but other than that I liked what I saw.

Enhance, you bring up good points. (Redundant! :lol: )

I'm not ready to unequivocally state that Watson needs to go, but I have no such reservations about Cotton. That is a consistently undisciplined unit that seems to pick up those false start penalties at the most inopportune times.

(Ben Cotton, btw, is a heck of a football player. Not sure what that has to do with anything, but just thought I'd throw that out there.)

well, it is pretty obvious he is inconsistent, so what is the answer? i am afraid we will just keep muddling along, but in the Big 10, especially with out schedule next year, Wats will be a bust, running 90% of the time on 1st and 2nd down will get you in 3rd and long, then back to the sos.....hoping the defense will keep us in the game.....you can only live off that strategy for so long. :moreinteresting ........make the changes....NOW!

My problem with Watson is his mental fortitude. He just seems weak minded. Any time it seems like we've been exposed or given a chink in our armor, he seems to just clam up and retreat to his proverbial shell. It is so frustrating watching the game when it happens because you can just tell when he's retreated.

And to top it off, he's not throwing anyone off with these cute little personnel packages ans schemes. If you want to outscheme the other team, fine, go coach for Mike Leach. I want an offense that hits you in the mouth and lets you know it.

:rant

This thread is hilarious. We just scored 45 points with our third string QB running a patchwork offense and the wildcat——with our #1 WR/returnman gone for the year. And people are calling for Watson’s head?? Hey, we won!

Ah, perspective.

How long ago was it we would have been thrilled to beat Top 10 opponents in consecutive weeks? Both those games driven by the offense, including an Oklahoma State victory where the defense gave up 41 points. Anyone call for Carl Pelini's head on that one? How about Iowa State, where our nervous third string quarterback staked us to a 24-10 lead the defense couldn't protect? Against Iowa Friggin' State? Was there teeth gnashing here about our inability to adjust on defense? How about Texas where offense, defense and special teams all freaked out at once? How do you blame that on Bill Callahan...I mean Shawn Watson?

You know which offenses do worse against good defenses? EVERY offense.

Has this offense had big wins? Absolutely. Was the rest of college football - the folks not obsessed with Bill Callahan/trapped in Husker nostalgia - impressed? Yep.

You know what an offensive coordinator can do about dropped balls by wide open recievers? Nothing.

You know which offensive genius had a couple deadly stinkers in 22 of his 25 seasons? Tom Osborne.

Based on the criteria bandied about here, this mob would be clamoring for young Tom Osborne's head. (in fairness, a lot of folks did back then)

This Nebraska offense produced a 1,000 yard rushing quarterback, a 1,000 yard featured running back and a 750 yard supporting running back, all with outstanding per carry averages. Additionally, that Freshman qb was in the Top 20 for passing effiency, although he occasionally didn't have enough attempts to qualify because the rushing game was working so well. Thrown into a worst case scenario, we ran the wildcat with Burkhead to a victory fer christsakes. In terms of what an OC could design and control, this offense was everything the naysayer were screaming for last season.

We're a Top 25 team when we start a mediocre quarterback. We're a National Championship contender when our stud quarterback is healthy. It's really that simple.

• Fire 2

This thread is hilarious. We just scored 45 points with our third string QB running a patchwork offense and the wildcat——with our #1 WR/returnman gone for the year. And people are calling for Watson’s head?? Hey, we won!

Yeah against a bad team we put up 45 points. Do you believe we will put up those kind of points next week against a South division winner? Not without a healthy Martinez we won't. Colorado is a bad team. Next week we could score 3 pts and it would fall in line that Watson can't keep the offense scoring a lot points from week to week. You may be happy we won but we could get our assed kicked the next two games. Would you be happy about that? Green has started games last and this year he's far from a 3rd string qb.

Yeah against a bad team we put up 45 points. Do you believe we will put up those kind of points next week against a South division winner? Not without a healthy Martinez we won't. Colorado is a bad team. Next week we could score 3 pts and it would fall in line that Watson can't keep the offense scoring a lot points from week to week. You may be happy we won but we could get our assed kicked the next two games. Would you be happy about that? Green has started games last and this year he's far from a 3rd string qb.

3rd string QB not starter not the back up but a third string QB. A fricking running back had over 15 snaps that is a patchwork offense and 45 points would be impressive aginst a fcs team, when you are as banged up as we were this week. No I don't think we move the ball that well agianst either of the south teams we will face next week. We do need to hope that we get healthy but the fact of the matter when given the chance to game plan Wats can put a good game together even when all banged up like we were last week.