Fire Shawn Watson

Kruzu

Huh? It always matters who is taking the snaps.

Sorry, I didn't get the quote correct. What I was trying to do was show the quote "our offense has made a freshman quarterback a heisman canidate". What I was trying to say is that the player made the offense, not the other way around. Of course it matters who takes the snaps.

I don't think that is the case with Taylor at all, though. Taylor was really a complete one trick pony. He has the blazing explosiveness as a runner, but really not much else other than wanting the position, including poor reads, understanding of the position, being rattled easily, etc. He has come a long way and he has been utilized with these limitations in a way that's mostly allowed us to maximize our offense. Going with Taylor as quarterback put the offense on handcuffs in terms of what was available for it to run, but on the flip side gave us the big play potential that tore apart Bo's defenses in scrimmages.

I would say it has been at least break even, if not worth it.

I'll chime into what Landlord said earlier and add that last year we really did not try to put up a lot of yards or points, the philosophy being once we had a lead Bo felt he could protect with the D, we just shut it down and let the D hold on for the win. It doesn't mean we didn't want to score; you always want to score. But it means there was a big limit in how aggressive we were willing to be. Not a lot of passes/creativity/attacking, the kinds of things that you usually do when you are gunning for points. Against teams like Kansas we could take some shots early but otherwise I think we saw a lot of conservatism early on, counting on a few breaks within the simple scheme to get some points on the board. The most important thing was to not let the other team get the ball with a short field.

Sorry, I didn't get the quote correct. What I was trying to do was show the quote "our offense has made a freshman quarterback a heisman canidate". What I was trying to say is that the player made the offense, not the other way around. Of course it matters who takes the snaps.

It takes a certain type of athlete to run this offense and we have exactly one on the team. Cody Green is not the type of QB to run this offense as he just isn't that quick. Lee could and has run this offense somewhat effectively, however injuries have put a stop to his playing time. Say what you want, but Lee is quicker than Green and gets going a little faster. He also makes the reads and reacts quicker. The coaches now know what it takes to make this offense go and I think you're seeing it in the types of athletes we're recruiting at QB.

I don't think that is the case with Taylor at all, though. Taylor was really a complete one trick pony. He has the blazing explosiveness as a runner, but really not much else other than wanting the position, including poor reads, understanding of the position, being rattled easily, etc. He has come a long way and he has been utilized with these limitations in a way that's mostly allowed us to maximize our offense. Going with Taylor as quarterback put the offense on handcuffs in terms of what was available for it to run, but on the flip side gave us the big play potential that tore apart Bo's defenses in scrimmages.

I'll chime into what Landlord said earlier and add that last year we really did not try to put up a lot of yards or points, the philosophy being once we had a lead Bo felt he could protect with the D, we just shut it down and let the D hold on for the win. It doesn't mean we didn't want to score; you always want to score. But it means there was a big limit in how aggressive we were willing to be. Not a lot of passes/creativity/attacking, the kinds of things that you usually do when you are gunning for points. Against teams like Kansas we could take some shots early but otherwise I think we saw a lot of conservatism early on, counting on a few breaks within the simple scheme to get some points on the board. The most important thing was to not let the other team get the ball with a short field.

Wrong.

Tmart "alone" made this offense go. A freshman with freakish ability. Not just anybody that SW magically coached up in one fall camp. Like SW coached up Tmart but not Lee & Green? Sure... An offense that was so grossly inept that just as you say, we throttled down trying to move the ball or score as the turnovers simply were not worth the attempt. How does it get any worse than that?

If athletic ability alone makes this offense go, I suppose you can say good-bye to Taylor once Jamal Turner gets here.

?????? Yeah because jammal is so much more athletic than Taylor. :sarcasm

He truely is. Jamal can make someone miss. Taylor is tremendous at beating someone to a spot, but he couldn't even make me miss and I have not played football in a good four years.

If athletic ability alone makes this offense go, I suppose you can say good-bye to Taylor once Jamal Turner gets here.

He truely is. Jamal can make someone miss. Taylor is tremendous at beating someone to a spot, but he couldn't even make me miss and I have not played football in a good four years.

Let's see Jamal on a college football field before we start calling him better than Martinez...

Wrong.

Tmart "alone" made this offense go. A freshman with freakish ability. Not just anybody that SW magically coached up in one fall camp. Like SW coached up Tmart but not Lee & Green? Sure... An offense that was so grossly inept that just as you say, we throttled down trying to move the ball or score as the turnovers simply were not worth the attempt. How does it get any worse than that?

boy, that's the damn truth!

gigantic :facepalm:

• Fire 1

Let's see Jamal on a college football field before we start calling him better than Martinez...

I am not saying Jamal Turner is a better QB at all. If anything I am pretty sure Turner will need a redshirt year and hone his craft. And personally I think he would help the team more with his athleticism as a WR/RB/wildcat guy. Put him all over the field and let him kill defenses and make plays.

I'm responding to the ridiculous assertion that Taylor alone with no help from a top QB coach is responsible for the offense. If that bit of athleticism is all that counts, don't count on Taylor being entrenched as a starter, because there's a new "electric, athletic" guy flavor of the year to come in probably every year, the way we are recruiting guys. Last year Green was that athletic QB. This year, Taylor. Next year, we'll have Turner who is if anything more dynamic with the ball in his hands, but obviously has not put in time getting coached up in this system.

Taylor's athleticism is a tremendous asset, but so is Watson's development of Taylor in a short time as a complete player, and figuring out how to do various things with Taylor even though it limited the offensive packages available to us. Oklahoma State was masterful, and of course so were games like Missouri, Kansas State, Washington...

I am not saying Jamal Turner is a better QB at all. If anything I am pretty sure Turner will need a redshirt year and hone his craft. And personally I think he would help the team more with his athleticism as a WR/RB/wildcat guy. Put him all over the field and let him kill defenses and make plays.

I'm responding to the ridiculous assertion that Taylor alone with no help from a top QB coach is responsible for the offense. If that bit of athleticism is all that counts, don't count on Taylor being entrenched as a starter, because there's a new "electric, athletic" guy flavor of the year to come in probably every year, the way we are recruiting guys. Last year Green was that athletic QB. This year, Taylor. Next year, we'll have Turner who is if anything more dynamic with the ball in his hands, but obviously has not put in time getting coached up in this system.

Taylor's athleticism is a tremendous asset, but so is Watson's development of Taylor in a short time as a complete player, and figuring out how to do various things with Taylor even though it limited the offensive packages available to us. Oklahoma State was masterful, and of course so were games like Missouri, Kansas State, Washington...

i strongly disagree with you.

who's saying that the only reason that taylor has done well is because he posses a "little bit of athleticism"? if you're going to argue with the fact that martinez has run our offense far better than anyone else this year, than you and i have obviously been watching different games all year. if he keeps playing like he has been this year, there is absolutely zero reason to speculate that he will loose his starting job.

Wait, where am I saying that Taylor is in danger of losing his starting job? I don't think he is and Carnes will probably be #2, in my opinion, barring a strong push to unseat him, assuming Taylor stays.

I am not the one saying that Taylor doing well is because of his athleticism. He has come quite a long way, a lot further than probably anyone expected, as a QB. It's others who are saying "We don't really have an offense, it's just Taylor's unique freakish athletic ability." Taylor has grown as a passer and is evolving as a quarterback in this offense, which is the reason why we have been able to do so much damage with him this year in different ways. Not saying he doesn't have a long way yet to go, he does, but the results this year on the field have been very impressive and I've really become a fan. I think the gamble we took this year by going with him, could really pay off.

I am saying if the "it's all Taylor's natural athletic ability" line holds true, then he may not be long for the position given what we have coming in. But that'll never be the case at the QB position IMO.

I guess I don't see how any of us know that the offense is fully implemented and in effect? With a still questionable offensive line, 3 completely different style of Qb's, and the many injuries the last couple of years, how can anyone say or in fact KNOW that SW has implemented HIS offense? I still don't think we have seen anything close to 100% Washington or Okie St maybe... but I would bet to say if SW goes Bo is going to get someone in here to have the same offensive philosophy...