New Offensive Coordinator? Who would it be?

ladyhawke

Any other candidate by the fans? So far:

Scott Frost

Barney Cotton

Tim Beck

Damon Benning

Dave Remington

Norm Chow

Jeff Simms

Gary Crowton

Greg Studrawa

Bryan Harsin

Dan Hawkins

Ron Brown

Mike Leach

Jon Gruden

Jim Svoboda

Kerwin Bell

Ken Collums

Gus Malzahn

Gunter Brewer

Bill Callahan (shame on you)

Mark Whipple

Rich Rodriguez

Tom Osborne

Just because it's fun to imagine the sideline tyraids we'd see between Bo and this guy...

4fd877934cd9e53b1eed2f4b44198840.jpg

Although now that I think about it, Mangino has a very successful track record as OC. If memory serves me right, he was the assistant coach of the year in 2000, he was OC for Oklahoma's national title team that year.

1) Gilmore out and Scott Frost in as WR coach. His zone-read experience makes him a natural fit. He has a growing presence in Pac-10 & CA recruiting regions, with some big targets/commits from Oregon/CA. He can take over CA. Then move Carl's recruiting base to the Ohio/Upper midwest region to put more emphasis there w/ our move to Big10.

WR coach from Oregon to NU is lateral at best at this point. From what I've read he's happy where he's at. Highly doubt this happening

2) Promote JP to defensive line coach (from just DE) - freeing Carl up to concentrate everything to the coordinator position.

They're trying to do this. I think this offseason it will become permanent

3) Get rid of Cotton

Not gonna happen. He's Bo's guy

4) Give Watson the offensive line in addition to his OC duties. I think the zone-read and overall offensive philosphy needs to start with the line. Watson needs more control over the OL. Relieve him of his QB duties. I don't think he's the best QB coach when it comes to this dual threat guys we're recruiting as of late.

I'd go for that, but Cotton's not going anywhere

5) Hire a QB coach. (Zac Taylor?) Or maybe someone that has a better track record w/ dual threat type QBs.

He's got a good thing going at aTm. Sherman's his step daddy now, I don't see him going anywhere, and he's from Texas

6) Do something with Ron Brown. Tight End coach? Few teams have a dedicated TE coach.

Agree. He's a great coach.

Yeah - but Frost will be taking some lateral moves. It's early in his career - his next post won't be as an OC. His next move will be about $$ and future opporutnity. Since Oregon is his first real gig, he's probably at the bottom of the pay scale. We could offer him 50% of Gilmore's salary and it would probably be a raise. (might be an exageration but maybe not).

Worst case scenario, Oregon matches the $$ and Scott gets a nice big boost in pay thanks to NU's interest. I wouldn't feel bad about that at all.

Scott Frost

Barney Cotton

Tim Beck

Damon Benning

Dave Remington

Norm Chow

Jeff Simms

Gary Crowton

Greg Studrawa

Bryan Harsin

Dan Hawkins

Ron Brown

Mike Leach

Jon Gruden

Jim Svoboda

Kerwin Bell

Ken Collums

Gus Malzahn

Gunter Brewer

Mark Whipple

Rich Rodriguez

Tom Osborne

Some posters earlier mentioned Paul Chryst without naming him.

Scott Frost

Barney Cotton

Tim Beck

Damon Benning

Dave Remington

Norm Chow

Jeff Simms

Gary Crowton

Greg Studrawa

Bryan Harsin

Dan Hawkins

Ron Brown

Mike Leach

Jon Gruden

Jim Svoboda

Kerwin Bell

Ken Collums

Gus Malzahn

Gunter Brewer

Mark Whipple

Rich Rodriguez

Tom Osborne

Some posters earlier mentioned Paul Chryst without naming him.

If you're a fan of the triple option, then I think you'd want the current Air Force OC, Clay Hendrix.

I personally take issue w/ the statements "the coaches didn't drop balls" or "the coach didn't fumble" etc. I don't see Watson going, but Gilmore needs to (and Cotton too). Someone needs to be accountable. His loyalty to NP through this season can only be surprassed by Callahan's loyalty to Cosgove - and you can see where that got us. Niles played like crap against Texas yet stayed in the whole game because he can block? What happens when we have a passing play - oh yeah...drop. Then he redeems himself the next week (against the 115th ranked pass defense) and gets a "get out of jail free card" issued by Gilmore for the rest of the season.

There are countless guys on that bench that can make plays. Did Tech give a crap if Crabtree could block? You think Okie St. cares if Blackmon can block? How about Alabama and Julio Jones? They are playmakers, they make plays. We need someone that can unleash that from our WR corps. The talent is there. We took a walk-on off the bench last week and I thought for sure Nate Swift had returned.

Here's what would make me happy.

1) Gilmore out and Scott Frost in as WR coach. His zone-read experience makes him a natural fit. He has a growing presence in Pac-10 & CA recruiting regions, with some big targets/commits from Oregon/CA. He can take over CA. Then move Carl's recruiting base to the Ohio/Upper midwest region to put more emphasis there w/ our move to Big10.

2) Promote JP to defensive line coach (from just DE) - freeing Carl up to concentrate everything to the coordinator position.

3) Get rid of Cotton

4) Give Watson the offensive line in addition to his OC duties. I think the zone-read and overall offensive philosphy needs to start with the line. Watson needs more control over the OL. Relieve him of his QB duties. I don't think he's the best QB coach when it comes to this dual threat guys we're recruiting as of late.

5) Hire a QB coach. (Zac Taylor?) Or maybe someone that has a better track record w/ dual threat type QBs.

6) Do something with Ron Brown. Tight End coach? Few teams have a dedicated TE coach.

I don't think Watson can handle the OL and OC duties, but he needs to have someone coaching the OL that is on the same page as he is. I don't think that's the case currently. Overall the staff alignment seems odd when you look at other teams. Having a DE coach? a TE coach? Seems like some re-alignment needs to happen.

1) Gilmore only leaves if he finds another job, Frost would ONLY come back as OC, and I doubt Bo would make him OC

2) Don't think this would matter much

3) Not going to happen

4) Not going to happen

5) Not going to happen, Taylor would be a good QB coach in our old scheme

6) Do what? Brown could take over WR, but TE is more important to our offense than WR. Cotton has developed extremely well under RB, as has Kyler Reed.