New Offensive Coordinator? Who would it be?

ladyhawke

Thank god someone started this thread, i've seen so many complain about Watson, but yet no one throws out names of potential OC to replace him.

Last year i suggested Houstons OC and OKState Picked him up instead which seams to have worked out great, NIU's OC would be a good hire so would Nevada's, I'm not much of a Norm Chow fan i want to be as far away from west coast as possible...but who cares what i think. I wouldn't hold my breath on SW being gone next year though. :boxosoapdedhoarse :locked:

Lsu would love this!! They hate chowder

for some strange reason this sounds similar, dispite sucess a fan base dislikes its OC. It might becuase any body who can pick up an xbox controller and throw for 1000 yards thinks they know the job of the OC better than the people who actually make the decisions.

Really? I'd wager that no top-25 program has been held to fewer points against top-25 defenses than Nebraska has under Watson. Dude smashes face against crappy teams, no doubt. Sadly, we fold like a lawn chair against even remotely threatening defenses. How do you not score an offensive touchdown in four games against top-25 defenses in a two-year span?

Mizzou was a top 10 team when we beat them and we ran all over them, believe it or not after the game people actually said that Helu didn't run enough. Okie state was also a top 10 team and we put up more points on them than anybody else this year. More points than A&M, more points than Texas Tech, name anybody that played them and the only offnese to put up over 40 was the offnese coached by Watson that put up 51. So yes that is success when you do thing offensively that other teams could not do than that is success. On another point do you know how many teams have put up more than 30 on Mizzou this year. hint: its one and it was a Watson coached offnese.

Yes, the Mizzou game was a good one for Watson. Unfortunately for you and him, one quality game does not a good OC make. Maybe I'm being an ungrateful bastard, but I'd like our OC to, you know, actually put quality offense games together against respectable defenses on a regular basis.

Our offense is like the inverse of our own defense: Whereas our defense occasionally gives up a lot of points/yards to quality offenses (e.g., Okie State), our offense occasionally plays well against quality defenses (e.g., Missouri).

Lsu would love this!! They hate chowder

for some strange reason this sounds similar, dispite sucess a fan base dislikes its OC. It might becuase any body who can pick up an xbox controller and throw for 1000 yards thinks they know the job of the OC better than the people who actually make the decisions.

Really? I'd wager that no top-25 program has been held to fewer points against top-25 defenses than Nebraska has under Watson. Dude smashes face against crappy teams, no doubt. Sadly, we fold like a lawn chair against even remotely threatening defenses. How do you not score an offensive touchdown in four games against top-25 defenses in a two-year span?

2009 can hardly be used for relevant statistics, we purposefully put ourselves in positions where we wouldn't score a lot. It wasn't like we were trying and sucking at it, we just decided not to even try. However, if you look at 2008 and 2010 (I won't bother researching to see if all of these defenses were top 25 or not, but instead will just say that they were pretty damn decent) ...

Virginia Tech - 30 points

Missouri - 17 points

Texas Tech - 31 points

Oklahoma - 28 points

Clemson - 26 points

Texas - 13

Oklahoma State - 51

Missouri - 31

A&M - 6

I was going to include Arizona, but figured that wouldn't be fair if the rest of '09 was an aberration. Watson has had trouble against some top defenses, but who doesn't? Considering the circumstances of 2009, we still don't have enough information to decide whether or not this is going to forever be a staple of a Watson offense.

You're gonna have to explain the part in bold. That is an unbelievable statement. We purposefully tried not to score last year? Really?!?!? Like I said, I have no idea what you mean by that.

I think it's interesting that you select the two years with fantastic quarterbacks and omit the year with the so-so QB. This does nothing to diminish the criticism that Watson is basically nothing without Joe Ganz and Taylor Martinez.

To be frank, I think Watson gets a lot of credit based on the fact that he has himself lowered our expectations of what our offense is capable of. In other words, we're used to our team struggling to squeeze out a TD that when we actually string a few together, we think Watson is fantastic . . . all the while forgetting that he was the reason we had low expectations to begin with.

He's like that girlfriend that ignores you and treats you like sh*t and then, right as you're thinking of breaking up with her, swings into action and does something that for any other girlfriend would be entirely mundane, but for this chick seems like the most amazing thing ever. So you get cold feet and the cycle begins anew. But anyone on the outside would be screaming, "Dude, you've got to break up with her! You can get so much better from any number of women. She's holding you back!"

If you want to narrow it down - unless you have some familiarity with the spread option, then you are not going to be considered. So all pro-style and straight spread type guys can be taken out.

If Wats goes though, we are likely promoting from within. Should make alot of you miss Watson in a hurry. :lol:

But since we are only playing the IF game and could have anyone regardless of how it suits us, I would take a chance on Kerwin Bell from Jacksonville (the 1AA school).

I would love to get Ken Collums from Abilene Christian on the staff as well as a position coach. The offensive stats his offensive puts up at the D2 level with the complete balance in statistics is amazing.

I feel like I should also point out, in fairness to Damon Benning, that Northwest has very little if any real talent at that school and even faced the possibility of not fielding a football team in 2010 because of the inability to get enough players. Enrollment is down and they literally are a very, very bad school from a talent and depth perspective. Benning can really only work with what he's given, and the kids who really wanna play football try to enroll at either a Millard school, Westside, or some place like Central/North.

Either way, Benning still would NOT be a good hire imho.

No one mentioned has anything near the resume that Wats has. This whole conversation is ridiculous and is prove we should all cross our fingers and hope that Wats sticks around. 10-2, losses were a result of player error and not scheme. Player error is not the responsiblity of a coordinator it is for the head coach to clean up.

• Fire 1

I agree it would be impossible to find an OC who could do better than this....

2000: #66

2001: #20

2002: #58

2003: #66

2004: #85

2005: #89

2008: #12

2009: #99

Throw in this year's zero offensive Tds vs Texas & TAM and the amazing steamrolling performamces vs both Kansas & South Dakota State and we're talking Bill Walsh. Yep, we would be crazy to want anybody else.

• Fire 4

This is a ridiculous conversation. We have games to play yet this season. Watson is our guy. I think he prepared very well for yesterday's game and came up with a great game plan.

Against an atrocious D. Let's not play coy, kids: Against horrible defenses, Watson can be counted on to deliver a quality game plan about half the time. Against solid defenses, he'll do it one out of every ten tries. He is a HUGE factor holding this team back from being truly elite. As for his replacement . . .

Absolutely not Norm Chow. As someone else said, he is excellent at running a Pro-Style offense and not much else. Now that UCLA seems bent on running the Pistol offense, you'll notice that Norm is not worth much and their offense is one of the worst in the country.

I like the idea of bringing in some guys from LSU, but hasn't LSU had a relatively anemic offense this year? For awhile, they were ranked dead last in passing. Part of that can likely be explained by the quality SEC defenses they see, but goddamn they were awful for awhile.

The question is whether we want to continue down the track of running a spread offense. I think we would do well to keep going in that direction and not be afraid to mix in some I-Formation and when necessary. Being a run-first team makes the play-action pass very dangerous. Sprinkle in some Wildcat here and there and we'd be good to go.

Since when is a top 30 rush defense atrocious? Also, we had our 3rd string QB and a banged up Helu. I liked the creativity with Burkhead. I am not a Watson lover but I think these conversations should wait until after the season. Would you all be going crazy if we go 12-2? Would you all be wanting to fire people? You sound like Iowa Fans!

This is a ridiculous conversation. We have games to play yet this season. Watson is our guy. I think he prepared very well for yesterday's game and came up with a great game plan.

Against an atrocious D. Let's not play coy, kids: Against horrible defenses, Watson can be counted on to deliver a quality game plan about half the time. Against solid defenses, he'll do it one out of every ten tries. He is a HUGE factor holding this team back from being truly elite. As for his replacement . . .

Absolutely not Norm Chow. As someone else said, he is excellent at running a Pro-Style offense and not much else. Now that UCLA seems bent on running the Pistol offense, you'll notice that Norm is not worth much and their offense is one of the worst in the country.

I like the idea of bringing in some guys from LSU, but hasn't LSU had a relatively anemic offense this year? For awhile, they were ranked dead last in passing. Part of that can likely be explained by the quality SEC defenses they see, but goddamn they were awful for awhile.

The question is whether we want to continue down the track of running a spread offense. I think we would do well to keep going in that direction and not be afraid to mix in some I-Formation and when necessary. Being a run-first team makes the play-action pass very dangerous. Sprinkle in some Wildcat here and there and we'd be good to go.

Since when is a top 30 rush defense atrocious? Also, we had our 3rd string QB and a banged up Helu. I liked the creativity with Burkhead. I am not a Watson lover but I think these conversations should wait until after the season. Would you all be going crazy if we go 12-2? Would you all be wanting to fire people? You sound like Iowa Fans!

And if we score even "one" TD vs the aggies we're 11 - 1 and in the NC hunt. But naaaa......we wouldn't want that.

And if we score any offensive TDs vs Texas we're likely 12 - 0 and in the NC hunt. Nope.....we don't want that either.

One of these years we won't have a NC caliber defense to bail us out and we'll just see how thrilled we are with five or more losses.