Big 12 End of Year Awards

I can't believe that Alex Henery only made 2nd team!! BLAH!! Alex Henery NEVER misses (ok maybe twice in his WHOLE career!!!) The kid who is coming to kick for us next year (Nikolas Sade-saw him tonight on Big Red Wrap Up) is going to have some HUGE shoes to fill!

-ladyhawke~

Big 12 is starting to release the award winners

Big 12

INDIVIDUAL AWARDS

Coach of the Year Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State (6th year)

Offensive Lineman of the Year Nate Solder, Colorado, OT, Sr., Buena Vista, Colo.

Defensive Lineman of the Year Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma, DE, Sr., Carrollton, Texas

Offensive Freshman of the Year Taylor Martinez, Nebraska, QB, Fr., Corona, Calif.

Co-Defensive Freshman of the Year Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma, DB, Fr., Chula Vista, Calif.

Shaun Lewis, Oklahoma State, LB, Fr., Missouri City, Texas

Special Teams Player of the Year Dan Bailey, Oklahoma State, P/K, Sr., Mustang, Okla.

Newcomer of the Year Lavonte David, Nebraska, LB, Jr, Miami, Fla.

Defensive Player of the Year Prince Amukamara, Nebraska, CB, Sr., Glendale, Ariz.

Offensive Player of the Year Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State, WR, So., Ardmore, Okla.

EDIT: I updated the Topic Title since Taylor isn't the only NU player to win an awards. Will try to update list as it becomes available

Kind of surprised Niles got 2nd team WR. As little as he's been targeted this year.

What about Baker getting honorable mention? Has he even distinguished himself from Moore and Randle at the position? Good point by Ubben on P/K:

I sense that what happens late in conference play isn't as weighted as what happens early. The two victims in this case are Nebraska kicker Alex Henery and Colorado running back Rodney Stewart. Oklahoma State's Dan Bailey made his first 18 kicks (more than Henery attempted all year), but missed four kicks in three games before last week's Bedlam game. He was the runaway winner early in the season, but Henery's lack of attempts (15-of-16 on the year) isn't his fault. Additionally, as a member of the All-Big 12 second team as a punter, the combination should have given him enough oomph to best Bailey. I don't have a major gripe with the selection, but if it were up to me, Henery deserved Special Teams Player of the Year

I had 2 problems with this list. (And part of it is bias)

1. Alex Henery. Absolutely the best P/K in the conference, and PROBABLY in the Country. 2nd team is pure trash. I've seen him making kicks and pinning teams deep in their territory for 4 years now. He should have been a unanimous decision for 1st team.

2. DPOY. Now, hear me out. Prince Amukamara is an absolute beast and shutdown corner. Teams rarely throw to the man he is covering. I am advocating this should have been a co-award this year with A&M's Von Miller. Von is a scheme changer that if not actually making sacks, he is CONSTANTLY in the backfield causing problems. Teams have to plan their offense to account for him. B12 leader in sacks, and has been one of the best players at D in the country for a couple years. He is a Butkis Finalist.

Again, I am not advocating Von OVER Prince. All I'm saying is this year, there should have been 2 winners. I'm sure many or most of you will thrash me for this opinion, but I really think Von getting passed over was crap.

I had 2 problems with this list. (And part of it is bias)

1. Alex Henery. Absolutely the best P/K in the conference, and PROBABLY in the Country. 2nd team is pure trash. I've seen him making kicks and pinning teams deep in their territory for 4 years now. He should have been a unanimous decision for 1st team.

2. DPOY. Now, hear me out. Prince Amukamara is an absolute beast and shutdown corner. Teams rarely throw to the man he is covering. I am advocating this should have been a co-award this year with A&M's Von Miller. Von is a scheme changer that if not actually making sacks, he is CONSTANTLY in the backfield causing problems. Teams have to plan their offense to account for him. B12 leader in sacks, and has been one of the best players at D in the country for a couple years. He is a Butkis Finalist.

Again, I am not advocating Von OVER Prince. All I'm saying is this year, there should have been 2 winners. I'm sure many or most of you will thrash me for this opinion, but I really think Von getting passed over was crap.

Not going to trash you...Von Miller is a beast. For the most part, these things are always crap. And Henery is no doubt #1!

Texas A&M has 23 players that were mentioned. That is crazy. How do you think the couple starters that didn’t make anything feel? (Terrence McCoy, Steven Campbell & Sean Porter) <_<:ahhhhhhhh:wacko:

OL - Matt Allen

OL - Luke Joeckel

OL - Brian Thomas

OL - Patrick Lewis

OL - Jake Matthews

WR - Jeff Fuller

WR - Ryan Swope

WR -

QB - Ryan Tannehill

HB - Cyrus Gray

FB - Michael Lamothe

K - Randy Bullock

DL - Eddie Brown

DL - Tony Jerod-Eddie

DL - Lucas Patterson

LB - Von Miller

LB - Michael Hodges

LB - Garrick Williams

LB -

DB - Coryell Judie

DB - Terrence Frederick

DB - Dustin Harris

DB - Trent Hunter

P - Ryan Epperson

PR/KR - Kenric McNeal

Ricky Henry's selection as a first-team All-Big 12 pick by league coaches ends a rather surprising drought for Nebraska. Playing for a school that once consistently produced powerful offensive lines, Henry becomes the first Husker offensive lineman to be named to the coaches' first-team all-conference squad since Toniu Fonoti in 2001.

Center Mike Caputo and left guard Keith Williams were honorable-mention selections this season.

The 6-foot-4, 305-pound Henry has been a full-time starter at right guard for the past two seasons, after transferring from North Dakota State College of Science. He has helped lead the way for a Husker offense that is averaging 269.2 rushing yards per game to rank first in the Big 12 and eighth nationally.

Nebraska is 10-0 this season when rushing for 200 yards or more. The Huskers are averaging 5.87 yards per carry, the fifth-best average in the nation.

The big boys up front evidently are doing something right.

LINK

AP All-BIG XII Released......

Linky

Nebraska football players were again well-represented on an All-Big 12 team on Thursday, as six Huskers were named to the Associated Press first-team listing. Earlier this week, six Nebraska players earned All-Big 12 honors from the conference's head coaches.

Five of the six AP first-teamers were repeat selections from the coaches' team, including offensive guard Ricky Henry, defensive tackle Jared Crick, linebacker Lavonte David, cornerback Prince Amukamara and safety Eric Hagg. Joining those five on the AP first-team unit was senior place-kicker Alex Henery. Nebraska and Oklahoma State tied with six first-team All-Big 12 selections.

In addition the six first-team All-Big 12 selections, two Nebraska players received individual honors from the Associated Press. David was named the league's Defensive Newcomer of the Year. The transfer from Fort Scott Community College ranks second in the Big 12 in tackles per game, and has 14 tackles for loss, six sacks and 10 pass breakups. David was also runner-up to Oklahoma's Jeremy Beal for Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Taylor Martinez was chosen as the AP Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year. Despite being hobbled by injury over the past 4 1/2 games, Martinez has rushed for 974 yards and 12 touchdowns, and accounted for more than 2,400 yards of total offense.

In addition to six first-team selections, cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was a second-team All-Big 12 pick, and seven Huskers earned honorable-mention accolades. The offensive honorable-mention choices included Martinez, center Mike Caputo, guard Keith Williams and I-back Roy Helu Jr. Defensively, end Pierre Allen and defensive back DeJon Gomes were listed, while Alex Henery also earned honorable-mention recognition as a punter.