Is this Watson's last chance?

Husker_x

If Green starts, it wouldn't really surprise me if we go with a pretty basic and vanilla offense while relying on the defense, and I don't think this something that Wats decides on his own. We laid an egg on offense last year because that was kind of the plan, and we had a bum QB

If we run a basic and vanilla offense on Saturday, we lose. The defense is built to bend and a team like Oklahoma will strike at those opportunities and put points on the board. You can beat Kansas with black and white but the Big XII South Champion is going to take a little more fire power. No doubt the D needs to step up and create some snot bubbles but we need to stop soley putting every game on their shoulders. A LOT!! more color please, thank you.

for me it really depends on the quality of his play calling. you can't get too upset if there are lots of drops or fumbles or bad passes, but it is his ability to mix things up and make some adjustments when things aren't going well, which has been his weakness all along, you know, calling the same plays that have failed and expecting a different result......the guy has some Callahan left on him, but he has had plenty of time to get it off. yeah, if he lays an egg, he or some of his assistants need to go.

• Fire 1

As an offensive coordinator, Shawn Watson has scored only 1 touchdown in the 5 B12 championship games he's coached in. If we can't put up any points like last year, he will be canned IMO.

pathetic, anyone see a trend here? :wtf

Actually, If I heard it right he is 1-4 in CC games. The 1 game they won was 2001 where their offense rubbed the rock right way the last 2 games of season. His last 4 games as a OC his teams have scored ZERO td's in CCG's. The 1 TD was in 2002 game I believe where Bloom scored on a Punt return.

I could be wrong but this is how I thought i heard it on USC on 1620 this afternoon. Kugler and Mike'l went on forever about so i could have been confused by it.

Either way you slice it, Watson is terrible in CCG's.

Having said that, if we go out and lay an egg on Saturday........I'll be done with him.

This is what I mean when I said earlier, sarcastically, that every competent OC clearly needs to put up the same stats against top defenses as with bad ones, whether he is running his 1st string QB or his 3rd string.

Not sure how good OU's D is this year, but I really hope Green can build on the confidence he took from last week's game. The defense will have to be leaned on to win this game, which is why I'm glad it isn't OSU, because we had to count on the offense to simply outscore those guys.

Zoogies, I totally get where you're coming from, but let's be honest with ourselves. If Green can go out there and get us 21-28 points, and we lose by a field goal, that's one thing. Watson's issue is he goes from brilliant to completely inept in these situations. We're talking zero touchdowns. Losing games that would have been won if we had scored a single touchdown. The beef with Watson isn't that he never calls a good game. It's that when he struggles, we lay an egg.

There's a lot of good opinions being posted on this website and that's what it's for and why it's great. However opinions are just that (including mine) but facts are facts and they do not lie. So in my opinion Nebraska's offense has been anemic at best with Watson at the helm. Great numbers against weak teams (fact) and transparent defenses, and argueably competitive at best against good teams with good defenses (fact by statistics). Has there been great plays and numbers put up against good teams? Yes. But we are NEBRASKA and that should be the norm, not the exception.

Nebraska fields as good of athletes as any major program in the country. Martinez, Burkhead, Helu, Green, O-line and recievers. The defense "BLACKSHIRTS" is dominating and exceptional. The NEBRASKA standard.

So as all of the threads on this subject grows, you have to start asking yourself what is the problem? At some point Watson's performance is extremely questionable. If the offense had performed even slightly better in pivotal games, we would be defending Big-12 champs for several years now, and quite possibly National Champions during Watsons tenure as O.C.

So while the debate continues about Watson's job and if he should remain, unquestionably NEBRASKA would have a much better record and titles with the same players if the offense had been better managed.

So just like any player is accountable for his performance on any play, Watson is just as accountable for his performance. And just like any player who isn't performing as he should, Watson should be benched or cut. If I do not live up to my obligations and perform at my job, I will be held accountable and have to face the consequences. I doubt any of us could go to work and not perform or produce and remain employed. So why should Watson's lack of production and performance be any different? Answer: it shouldn't be and it's not, and that's a FACT. Regardless of everyone's opinion, we must all agree...

WIN OR LOOSE I'M A CORNHUSKER THRU-AND THRU,

GO BIG RED, BEAT O.U.!!!

This shouldn't be the deciding game, be OU's defense is quite deceiving in the that it has the capacity to be VERY good.

I thought they did a pretty good job in shutting down Hunter,Weeden, and Blackmon. Seems like once Okie Lite got a good set of plays together they were bound to score. Landry Jones did everything to keep them in the game though.

Having said that, if we go out and lay an egg on Saturday........I'll be done with him.

This is what I mean when I said earlier, sarcastically, that every competent OC clearly needs to put up the same stats against top defenses as with bad ones, whether he is running his 1st string QB or his 3rd string.

Not sure how good OU's D is this year, but I really hope Green can build on the confidence he took from last week's game. The defense will have to be leaned on to win this game, which is why I'm glad it isn't OSU, because we had to count on the offense to simply outscore those guys.

Zoogies, I totally get where you're coming from, but let's be honest with ourselves. If Green can go out there and get us 21-28 points, and we lose by a field goal, that's one thing. Watson's issue is he goes from brilliant to completely inept in these situations. We're talking zero touchdowns. Losing games that would have been won if we had scored a single touchdown. The beef with Watson isn't that he never calls a good game. It's that when he struggles, we lay an egg.

We have awesome RBs, pretty decent receivers, and our line doesn't exactly suck. Even without a great QB, it shouldn't be hard to get a few TDs. SDSU had that fantastic running back and he looked pretty good against our D. No, no TDs but it was SDSU! They shouldn't have had 150 or however many rushing yards, either. We have the equivalent of a couple of him in the backfield and even our backup QBs are at least good enough to manage a running game and still get a few decent passes off.

I refuse to accept that any other OC couldn't make a ton of yards and points with Burkhead, Helu, our sadly nearly anonymous fullbacks, our line, and everything else. If you can't make hay with them, then there is just something wrong.

Well just look at what his offense has done against Oklahoma the last two games.

2009 10 - 3 Seven of those points came because the defense set the offense up at the one.

2008 28 - 62 Twentyone of Oklahomas points came off of Turnovers to take a 35 point to 0 lead in the first quarter. The fact that Nebraska outscored Oklahoma in the last 3 quarters is kind of irrelavant.

Now I have my doubts that Watson can come up with a game plan against a Oklahoma defense that has been less then stellar this year, but almost every team that they had played has seemed to move the ball against them. Course the same can be said with Kansas.

• Fire 1

There's a lot of good opinions being posted on this website and that's what it's for and why it's great. However opinions are just that (including mine) but facts are facts and they do not lie. So in my opinion Nebraska's offense has been anemic at best with Watson at the helm. Great numbers against weak teams (fact) and transparent defenses, and argueably competitive at best against good teams with good defenses (fact by statistics). Has there been great plays and numbers put up against good teams? Yes. But we are NEBRASKA and that should be the norm, not the exception.

Nebraska fields as good of athletes as any major program in the country. Martinez, Burkhead, Helu, Green, O-line and recievers. The defense "BLACKSHIRTS" is dominating and exceptional. The NEBRASKA standard.

So as all of the threads on this subject grows, you have to start asking yourself what is the problem? At some point Watson's performance is extremely questionable. If the offense had performed even slightly better in pivotal games, we would be defending Big-12 champs for several years now, and quite possibly National Champions during Watsons tenure as O.C.

So while the debate continues about Watson's job and if he should remain, unquestionably NEBRASKA would have a much better record and titles with the same players if the offense had been better managed.

So just like any player is accountable for his performance on any play, Watson is just as accountable for his performance. And just like any player who isn't performing as he should, Watson should be benched or cut. If I do not live up to my obligations and perform at my job, I will be held accountable and have to face the consequences. I doubt any of us could go to work and not perform or produce and remain employed. So why should Watson's lack of production and performance be any different? Answer: it shouldn't be and it's not, and that's a FACT. Regardless of everyone's opinion, we must all agree...

WIN OR LOOSE I'M A CORNHUSKER THRU-AND THRU,

GO BIG RED, BEAT O.U.!!!

X2 x 10. And most posts or replys since agree as well, everyone expressing it in their own way. It seems the concensus is Watson has "come up short" as the O.C. Very fitting.

I can't imagne that the athletic department feels the same way, I cannot imagine how bad this crap will be next year when we have to repalce helu, mcneil, and three o-lineman this will just get worse and worse. So the point of me posting this is try to honestly evaluate his perfomrce with game planning, play calling, and preperation.

The current evalutation process seems to be this:

Q:Did we score a touchdown?

A: NO.

Response: Fire Watson!!

This shouldn't be the deciding game, be OU's defense is quite deceiving in the that it has the capacity to be VERY good.

ok, so when and where do you draw a line in the sand? after losing 4 or 5 games next year?

Hey, I'm in the anti-Watson camp too, I'm just saying I don't expect us to score 48 again this week. If we get held to single digits again however...

ok, so when and where do you draw a line in the sand? after losing 4 or 5 games next year?

Hey, I'm in the anti-Watson camp too, I'm just saying I don't expect us to score 48 again this week. If we get held to single digits again however...

Yes and fail to score a offensive TD. Ou's defense is not that great, good but not great. Hell Cincy scored 29 on them and A&M scored 33.

I will be happy to score 17 and have a chance to win in the 4th.