Is this Watson's last chance?

Husker_x

I can't imagne that the athletic department feels the same way, I cannot imagine how bad this crap will be next year when we have to repalce helu, mcneil, and three o-lineman this will just get worse and worse. So the point of me posting this is try to honestly evaluate his perfomrce with game planning, play calling, and preperation.

The current evalutation process seems to be this:

Q:Did we score a touchdown?

A: NO.

Response: Fire Watson!!

Touchdowns = points. Score more points than your opponent = victories. Victories = Success!!!

1) I am anti-Watson

I did not read the fire-Watson thead becasue I felt like I'd end up being so Troll like I'd get banned.

My concern with Watson is that he can not coach up a good team. Martinez gets hurt and it's like 2009 revisted (ok not that bad). He tends to have paper tiger offenses that don't produce at the top........ Unless of course he has a kick a** QB that makes things happen. His offensive coaching puts up nice points and stats against poor and avg teams and they fold like a cheap tent when the going gets tough. The Pelini and Osbounrn influence has helped but I feel like this year was more about Martinez than Watson.

I will say that I liked what I saw last week and maybe the Offense needed to do into a game with a Clear cut starter.

I can't imagne that the athletic department feels the same way, I cannot imagine how bad this crap will be next year when we have to repalce helu, mcneil, and three o-lineman this will just get worse and worse. So the point of me posting this is try to honestly evaluate his perfomrce with game planning, play calling, and preperation.

Kansas, What do you think Watson will do next year? He will rely on Martinez so much that if he is out we have no offense. Even with Martinez out we should atleast be able to score touchdown's. We did it last year. Watson just doesn't seem to know how to put together long drives that end in touchdowns. Every play can't be a big play.

Kansas, What do you think Watson will do next year? He will rely on Martinez so much that if he is out we have no offense. Even with Martinez out we should atleast be able to score touchdown's. We did it last year. Watson just doesn't seem to know how to put together long drives that end in touchdowns. Every play can't be a big play.

The point is that replacing three offensive lineman will have a negitive impact on any offense. Watson has done a good job this year of recruiting olineman to sure up depth for the comming years but it just isnt there for next year and we will likely be starting a couple freshman or several seeing playing time. I fear that the Watson detractors will expect this to be correted through coaching but the fact is it will take time. I hoep that we can rely on T Mart to make up for the lack of expericne on the line, I hope we can also rely on Burkhead for that matter. I guess my point is this is a debate that will go on for a while.

Something tells me, we're going to have to beat OU, exactly how we beat them last year. Get great field position from a turn over, capitalize on that, and play ridiculous defense.

Honestly - if whoever it is that inspiried EVERYONE on the offense to play the way they did against CO is around, then it doesn't matter who the heck the OC is. I know it was CU - but there was better effort during that game last week than I have seen in an NU team since TO was in charge...everyone, from the Oline, the backs, receivers, TE, QB...EVERYONE. With the talent NU has - if they could muster up that same effort every single game - they'd never lose.

Whoever did that to the offense last week - do it again and we could have Homer Simpson running the offense and we'd still win.

Inspired play has been lacking pretty much all season - until the CU game - and it was damn fun to watch.

Something tells me, we're going to have to beat OU, exactly how we beat them last year. Get great field position from a turn over, capitalize on that, and play ridiculous defense.

Honestly - if whoever it is that inspiried EVERYONE on the offense to play the way they did against CO is around, then it doesn't matter who the heck the OC is. I know it was CU - but there was better effort during that game last week than I have seen in an NU team since TO was in charge...everyone, from the Oline, the backs, receivers, TE, QB...EVERYONE. With the talent NU has - if they could muster up that same effort every single game - they'd never lose.

Whoever did that to the offense last week - do it again and we could have Homer Simpson running the offense and we'd still win.

Inspired play has been lacking pretty much all season - until the CU game - and it was damn fun to watch.

I liked the effort against CU as well, on both sides of the ball.

Green is a serviceable QB. I have no illusions that he could single-handedly take over the game and beat OU himself, but with two excellent RBs, a playmaker at tight end, and a couple of good possession receivers, there are no excuses to put up 9 points in FGs.

I've been a fence sitter for awhile with Watson, but if we can't put one TD on the board I'll be in with the crowd calling for his head. I'd rather give some re-tread like Mangino a try than sit and keep banging our heads against the Watson wall of bipolar offense. Any team that has had the same coaches and has been in the same system for this long shouldn't be getting as many procedure penalties this late into the year. It's bad enough to have questionable passes called at bad times. How many times has a 3rd and short ended with a QB that can't throw real well going to a WR that can't catch real well? If we didn't have Alex Henry being darn near automatic the last four years, how many more games would we have lost with even an "above average" kicker? I hope he does well and the offense in the B12 championship game looks like the same offense from the Holiday bowl last year. But you have to be able to at least put one drive together for a TD in 60 minutes with how many opportunities our defense gives you.

Having said that, if we go out and lay an egg on Saturday........I'll be done with him.

This is what I mean when I said earlier, sarcastically, that every competent OC clearly needs to put up the same stats against top defenses as with bad ones, whether he is running his 1st string QB or his 3rd string.

Not sure how good OU's D is this year, but I really hope Green can build on the confidence he took from last week's game. The defense will have to be leaned on to win this game, which is why I'm glad it isn't OSU, because we had to count on the offense to simply outscore those guys.

Zoogies, I totally get where you're coming from, but let's be honest with ourselves. If Green can go out there and get us 21-28 points, and we lose by a field goal, that's one thing. Watson's issue is he goes from brilliant to completely inept in these situations. We're talking zero touchdowns. Losing games that would have been won if we had scored a single touchdown. The beef with Watson isn't that he never calls a good game. It's that when he struggles, we lay an egg.

This. While Watson has called almost brilliant games against teams like Washington, Oklahoma State, Missouri (I'll even give him credit for the Texas game--we just didn't execute the plays), it has always just amazed me how we can't produce an offensive touchdown against somebody like Texas A&M that could win the game. If plays don't seem to be working, it's almost like he makes no adjustments in those games and keeps running them again in the second half--it's happened before.

I do like Watson, but I believe that he's here to stay for at least another year. His seat might be burning a little bit hotter in the offseason, however, if he gets a lot of heat for bad games in the CCG and bowl games.

Mike Leach....anybody? :)

Having said that, if we go out and lay an egg on Saturday........I'll be done with him.

This is what I mean when I said earlier, sarcastically, that every competent OC clearly needs to put up the same stats against top defenses as with bad ones, whether he is running his 1st string QB or his 3rd string.

Not sure how good OU's D is this year, but I really hope Green can build on the confidence he took from last week's game. The defense will have to be leaned on to win this game, which is why I'm glad it isn't OSU, because we had to count on the offense to simply outscore those guys.

Zoogies, I totally get where you're coming from, but let's be honest with ourselves. If Green can go out there and get us 21-28 points, and we lose by a field goal, that's one thing. Watson's issue is he goes from brilliant to completely inept in these situations. We're talking zero touchdowns. Losing games that would have been won if we had scored a single touchdown. The beef with Watson isn't that he never calls a good game. It's that when he struggles, we lay an egg.

This. While Watson has called almost brilliant games against teams like Washington, Oklahoma State, Missouri (I'll even give him credit for the Texas game--we just didn't execute the plays), it has always just amazed me how we can't produce an offensive touchdown against somebody like Texas A&M that could win the game. If plays don't seem to be working, it's almost like he makes no adjustments in those games and keeps running them again in the second half--it's happened before.

I do like Watson, but I believe that he's here to stay for at least another year. His seat might be burning a little bit hotter in the offseason, however, if he gets a lot of heat for bad games in the CCG and bowl games.

Mike Leach....anybody? :)

i doubt we see Leach anywhere in D-1 ball ever again.

Although raising a few interesting opinions, this thread = dedhoarse

We gotta remember where the decision ultimately stands in all of this hubbub - with Bo Pelini. He's had Wats' back since the beginning, and considering Nebraska's offense is ranked 31st overall so far this season, it's very hard to believe Bo would let him go.

This is what I mean when I said earlier, sarcastically, that every competent OC clearly needs to put up the same stats against top defenses as with bad ones, whether he is running his 1st string QB or his 3rd string.Not sure how good OU's D is this year, but I really hope Green can build on the confidence he took from last week's game. The defense will have to be leaned on to win this game, which is why I'm glad it isn't OSU, because we had to count on the offense to simply outscore those guys.

This is starting to irk me. Is Watson not the qb coach? Has Green not been here for 2 spring practices and 2 seasons, and was thought of as pretty much equal in the qb competition to T-Mart and Lee? Is it not his job to get his qb ready, and to tailor a game plan to fit what his qb does best?

It's all part of being a good coach, pure and simple.