A Honest Question

obviously martinez took a shot or 9 before the game. watch a replay if you need too, he walked around all night like he was on a bed of coals. those that blame the game on martinez, or say his heart wasnt in it, or any of that other weak ass barely thought out crap are, well, crap imho.

however, cody green throwing his 200mph fastballs all over the place and hesitating getting his 9 second zero to sixty started tonight doesnt exactly inspire confidence either. cody green was on the bench because, well, hes cody green. im in the camp that we should have seen some more burkhead.

who knows tho...the biggest disappointment of the night for me was the offensive line. they straight up got bitch slapped the entire evening. tmart, zac, cody, joe montagna...wouldnt have mattered.

The only big game TM looked composed in was the Oklahoma State game, and the beginning of the Missouri game. Other than that he hasn't looked well in any big game (See Texas)

HES A FRESHMAN! Cut the guy a break! Its incredible he gave us the kind of production he did this year, but by all means throw him under the bus

Yep, pretty much that. You could always see the freshman showing through in places in each game, but quite often he still looked ahead of the curve in many ways. He seemed to have decent pocket presence, went through his progressions, was more decisive, etc.

Now, the O-line and Watson weren't exactly helping him out tonight, but he was pretty clearly off. More than his poorer games prior to being injured. He just didn't have it back tonight and had the "deer in the headlights" look.

im sick of this bandwagon sh*t.

im not going to argue that he had a bad game, clearly he did. but where was this criticism against OKLA ST or Washington? this goes out to the whole board; dont sit here and tell us that you've been a cody supporter all year long, nobody's buying it. you ever think its people like you that this kid may want to transfer? i wouldnt want to play for a bunch of fair-weathered fans that are so quick to criticize every error. part of being "the best fans in college football" is supporting your guy or your team when they struggle. you should be proud of this kid, and everything this team has done for that matter.

this complaining and excuse making has gone way overboard. we support our guys and our team, not just when they win. agian,this isnt not addressed at anyone in particular, but reading all of these posts and threads almost makes me sad to call myself a husker

Didn't get to see the game but reading these post is sickning. My God, stop the "melt down" you idiot Husker fans. Let me bitch-slap you into reason please. Get some rest and post in a few days.

SheepdogMark

As sad as it is, I honestly feel like we would have won this game with Rex at QB for the entire second half. When your QB is failing as obviously as ours was, put it in the hands of your best player and grind it out for an ugly win. The defense adjusted in the second half, holding a great offense to two FGs. Our offense took a dump on the field, Bevo-style.

As sad as it is, I honestly feel like we would have won this game with Rex at QB for the entire second half. When your QB is failing as obviously as ours was, put it in the hands of your best player and grind it out for an ugly win. The defense adjusted in the second half, holding a great offense to two FGs. Our offense took a dump on the field, Bevo-style.

If we honestly ran the zone read out of the Wild cat for 90% of our second half plays, I don't think it would have accomplished much of anything. Diminishing returns.

I agree with you on a couple of playcalls that we should have stuck with the Burkhead runs, but what I mean is if you call the exact same play literally every single time, which is our only option in the Wildcat pretty much, you are going to get destroyed, as in losses of yards on every play. You have to make the defense have to account for different things. Being that predictable is never an option. I think Green in at QB with Wildcat sprinkled in would have opened up a lot of things for us.

Obviously with Taylor being a freshman he's not the "face of calm" like everyone wanted to say he was. Watson didn't help him with some of the playcalling, but jesus kid throw the ball away! With 8 minutes left I was completely surprised to see Taylor still in there. Not that it would be an easy situation for Zac Lee or Cody Green to walk into, but they couldn't have done much worse. Not the same Taylor we saw earlier in the season, stupid injuries!

Loss of yards every play? Were you watching the same Rex as everyone else? He was finding holes that didn't look there and sometimes making his own. We have several plays out of the Wildcat, not one. Including passes. But I guess sticking with Taylor and our great pass blocking was the way to go.

I don't think sticking with Taylor was the way to go. I am pointing out that you can't run the same stuff every single play.

We had pass plays, but honestly Burkhead is not really a threat to throw. That's why we don't run those very often. They are the changeups and not part of the main lineup. The fact that they are the changeups is the only thing that enables them to work - not some great passing ability by Burkhead. It's like Lucky and the Joker formation, it wasn't as if Lucky was a great passer or anything, it worked because it was rare.

Loss of yards every play? Were you watching the same Rex as everyone else? He was finding holes that didn't look there and sometimes making his own.

Yeah, and he was doing that because we didn't run the same play for two straight quarters! OU defense could not just commit to it in case we changed something up. That's what I mean. I guess we might have had 2 plays out of that formation that weren't passes: Rex draw and zone read. I guess you have some variation on the zone read, but my point is if you make that THE offense, that is as far extreme on the "not multiple" scale that you can get. When the defense will know there is only 1 of a few things that is coming, with the passes not being very hard to account for, it's a recipe for disaster for the offense.

The Wildcat works because it is a package offense, not the entire offense.

To be fair I do think we could have used the Wildcat more and still had success. And we should have gone to it certain situations at the end of the game. I just disagree with the notion that we would basically convert Rex to QB for the entire half, but I think that was probably a little exaggerated anyway. It was the lone bright spot, and I think we agree there. My thought towards the end was either run with Taylor handing off, or Wildcat. Throw extremely sparingly.

How silly...the Rexcat would work for awhile...Yes Burkhead found the holes...But why stop when it was working? Martinez gettting sacked wasn't working? And what happened to Helu? Where was he the second half? If we were going to runit why wasn't he included more? We just didn't get it done and I do agree CG should have at least been tried. He wasn't limping. And if the fake punt had been able to be used and if it had worked then Zach would have been our hero...but we need to quit QB jumping every season. Lets get a freshman and give him the chance to grow.

I think we should always pick the QB that gives us the best chance to win, regardless of class and sentimental "watch him over the years" value...

Small correction though, I forget who corrected this for me but it's true - Zac was not in on the fake punt, it was Anthony West. Kirk Herbstreit called it wrong.