Defense at fault

dergibog

This was a team loss PERIOD. The offense missed chances to put this game away, we failed to recover muffed punts deep in their territory, and the defense gave up a lot of yards when we had them pinned back. We fumbled away our chances and we were out coached on both sides of the ball at times. Truth be told. OU did what they had to do to win and we did not.

This team has a few problems. Least of which is defense. Sure, they didn't play the best but time after time they gave the team a chance to win and Martinez squandered it.

You can't turn the ball over as often as we did, and expect to win. The fact we lost by 3 points, after all that, is a testament to how well our defense played.

You heard it here first, folks: if a coach continues to play the guys with a chronic turnover problem and refuse to give a chance to other guys, it's not their fault; it all goes on the players. And while you're at it, don't practice ball security either, cause there's nothing coaches can do about it... gimme a break.

I'm just getting sick of all of the "the coaches didn't make the players fumble" BS and just wanted to illustrate what you'd have to believe if you thought that the fumble/hands issues were ALL on the players. You'd have to believe that NU just sucks at finding players that can hold onto the ball.

Zoogies,

Do you agree that this team consistently has a problem with turnovers?

If so, who do you think is ultimately to blame?

(Say it. It's okay. We all know it by now anyway.)

Fumbles should be blamed on the position coaches. If it's a fumble during the center and QB exchange, both position coaches should be in on that one. Some players just fumble. I remember back when Scott Baldwin I believe went postal. Damon Benning came in, and it was then discovered he had a fumbling problem. This is how LP got his big chance. The problem we have is that not only does Helu have a bit of a fumbling problem, so does our third stringer. Martinez has been putting the ball on the carpet all season long, but so has Green. It's not just fumbles as we have a big problem catching the ball. We just don't have focus which causes a lot of penalties, fumbles, dropped passes, etc. I would say the focus falls on the head coach.

• Fire 1

Blitzing on 3rd and 24 is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Agree. I dont blame them for not blitzing keep everybody in front of you in situation. If they get 15 yards so what their gonna punt. They made a good play, our guy tried to strip the ball while making the tackle like they've been doing all season.

Then they ran the naked boot leg on 4 and 1, good call no one saw that coming. I was thinking play action pass on that play. considering how stuff them a couple of times on short yardage.

Here are Nebraska's 2nd half drives...... without knowing the outcome you wouldve thought the huskers wouldve got blown out. I see 80 yards of offense, yet we lost by 3. Our defense kept us in the game, simple as that.

N24 12:13 Fumble 5-5 2:41

N22 09:08 Punt 3-2 1:29

N21 05:26 Punt 3-6 1:32

N42 14:01 Punt 8-22 4:33

O35 11:31 Fumble 3-22 1:11

N37 07:23 Punt 3-6 1:01

O45 03:36 Punt 5-11 3:03

N47 01:03 Downs 4-6 0:43

Opinion based on facts.?.?. GENIUS! :cheers