Rewatching the Game

Was at the game, so I'm watchin it on TV for the first time. Judging by what I read on here and what I saw in person, I was expecting Taylor to have that "deer in the headlights" look. I knew from being at the game that those who saw it on t.v. and were saying he was not interested in the game and that was simply not true. But actually seeing his face on t.v. (granted I'm just to the beginning of the 3rd quarter), he was in to that game. Last night from the stands, in the heat of the moment, it looked a lot worse. This looks like a kid giving it his all, and definitely not one who's thinking about leaving and not caring how the game turns out. Last night I hated the kid. Now that I'm cooled down (a little, still pretty hot about this poor offensive performance, though) and watching up close on t.v., Taylor Martinez was playing hard, he just had a really bad game.

Was at the game, so I'm watchin it on TV for the first time. Judging by what I read on here and what I saw in person, I was expecting Taylor to have that "deer in the headlights" look. I knew from being at the game that those who saw it on t.v. and were saying he was not interested in the game and that was simply not true. But actually seeing his face on t.v. (granted I'm just to the beginning of the 3rd quarter), he was in to that game. Last night from the stands, in the heat of the moment, it looked a lot worse. This looks like a kid giving it his all, and definitely not one who's thinking about leaving and not caring how the game turns out. Last night I hated the kid. Now that I'm cooled down (a little, still pretty hot about this poor offensive performance, though) and watching up close on t.v., Taylor Martinez was playing hard, he just had a really bad game.

I was never mad at him persay. I just had the "if you don't want to be here hit the bricks" mentality. He looked much better in this game to me then at last game. My gf was making the comment that maybe so many sacks were being given up cuz the line didnt like him lol. :corndance

I thought he played hard, but made some freshman mistakes. The o-line could not pick up a blitz to save their life, but he held on to the ball too long as well. I was a little surprised he did not tuck the ball and run a few times, but if he did not feel 100% on his feet that could have been the reason he stayed in the pocket so long.

I am hoping he stays and continues to grow....with Bubba coming in it will be a good competition, but T-Mart will have some experience on his side.

A little off topic, but just watched the drive where we went Rexcat 4 times in a row, in field goal range, then drop Taylor back. Wow. Even Musberger said, "I'm not so sure about that sequence, Herbie." WOW. Anyway, back to the Taylor thing... even taking these late sacks he's still competing. (as I type this Herbstreit went back to the questionable play calling) He looked terrible standing in the pocket so long and running into blockers/fumbling/etc., but that kid is playing his heart out for NU and I don't think he looks 100%. Tough kid, and I'm sorry for everything I said about him last night.

There were a few 3rd downs where he clearly hit the panic button and obviously couldn't decide what to do. That was the hardest thing to watch. The kid just stood there a few times as if he didn't understand what to do next. Maybe he's thinking to much. just pull it down and take off.

Wasn't T-Mart's fault for... sucking. It was Wats' fault for not a) trying Cody, B) relying more on Rex (and even Helu) and c) calling more appropriate plays for the way OU was playing us (screens, draws, etc.)

Wats calls one screen, just one, this could be a different game. The pressure would have backed off, and if not, hit another screen and another until the rush does slow. Again, another example of Taylor getting no help from his coach.

Just watched the game end. The look on Taylor's face coming back to the sideline... that kid still bleeds Husker Red. As furious as I am about this game, I'm a little happier now cause I believe Taylor will be staying.

There were a few 3rd downs where he clearly hit the panic button and obviously couldn't decide what to do. That was the hardest thing to watch. The kid just stood there a few times as if he didn't understand what to do next. Maybe he's thinking to much. just pull it down and take off.

We were wondering if he was told not to run or if he didn't feel 100% or what :dunno

Just watched the game end. The look on Taylor's face coming back to the sideline... that kid still bleeds Husker Red. As furious as I am about this game, I'm a little happier now cause I believe Taylor will be staying.

We were wondering if he was told not to run or if he didn't feel 100% or what :dunno

I don't buy that he's 100 percent, no matter what the coaches say. If you looked closely you could see him limping around occasionally..

Has NU even called a screen this year? It's been mysteriously missing from the game this year. Maybe it's because we ran it heavily over the past 2 years or so?

We called a screen right at the beginning of the game yesterday and the defensive end almost intercepted it...

IIRC it did get a first down though.

I thought Taylor was 95% when he started the game, because he was making some nice cuts and didn't seem to be bothered when he planted his foot. But I think the combination of sacks and just getting hit may have re-aggravated his injuries. If anyone thinks he was disinterested that’s just not the case. The kid's quiet and doesn't show much emotion, which leads to people filling in the gaps and we get the crazy rumors and people saying he's disinterested. This just reminds me of Gale Sayers, I wasn't alive when he played but I remember reading Brian's Song and he talked about how Gale was quiet and shy and people often mistook him for being arrogant and kind of a jerk. I think it's probably the same thing.

Anyways... Taylor did, as the OP said, play his heart out last night and you can't fault him for that. He is a freshman and he was going to show it sometime this year, it just happened to be a big game unfortunately. But that's what comes with the territory of a freshman QB.

I do have one question though; do you think he was told not to run from the pocket? It seems like Ganz in his first year and even Zac Lee last year were very hesitant to run when they had no options left and I can't help but wonder if Watson coaches them to stay with the pass at all cost. There's been times with all three (Taylor, Zac, Ganz) where they have no one open and some green in front of them, but they don't tuck it and go. It's just strange to me that they would all have the same habit (granted Taylor may not be confident in his feet at the moment).