Taylor Martinez at WR

Isn't why he came to Nebraska was because USC and other California schools were trying to initially recruit him as a wideout or slot reciever right off the bat because of his speed, where as Nebraska recruited to try out as a QB? Did he not win over the coaches in practice by beating out Zac Lee and Cody Green for the starting QB position? I do not see Martinez himself, much less the coaching staff willing to drop this kid from his current position in the offense, unless something drastic happens to his athletic abilities at the beginning of next year. Just wait and judge him as a QB until we see him at game time next season, he's got a whole off season to train, build up, and improve his arm and pocket presence. Personally, I can't wait to see how he develops.

+1

Pocket presence looked like the biggest problem against Oklahoma, so he definitely needs calm down once the pocket collapses. It was almost like when he felt an pressure at all, he'd either chuck it or cover up the ball and stand there.

If I had it my way and this is just wishful thinking but I'd love to put Martinez at wide receiver or the slot and Brion Carnes would be the talented quarterback that he apparently seems to be and he would be our quarterback. No more finger crossing about Martinez's pocket presence/passing ability. No more offensive stalling everytime a team (like I see happening in the Big 10) sells out to the run/zone read, whatever you want to call it and dares Nebraska and Martinez to pass.

Carnes at Quarterback, Martinez at receiver. That is if he didn't quit the team first.

I actually heard the opposite, that Carnes might be converted to WR.

Taylor Martinez is Nebraska'a QB and he will stay at QB. Barring something unfortunate happening (injury or possible transfer) he will be an EXCELLENT QB.... I will even go as far as saying he will be in the Heisman race.

Unbelievable that people are already naming Brion Carnes ahead of Martinez and even Green for that matter. The kid hasn't even seen an "opposing defense".. He has seen our defensive schemes to stop the opponent, not the other team's schemes. Real easy to be a practice hero... Always telling our kids, "don't be a thursday night hero" when you know what the defensive coaches are telling their kids.

Martinez in NOT healthy and when he is able to hit the next gear (that not many QB's have had...he is fastet than Crouch).... He will only get better in the passing game. Can you REALISTICALLY expect a freshman to come in and look great in as a passer in a non-passing offense vs some of the top defenses? If so, take off the rose-colored glasses. It is also hard to develop a "pocket pressence" when THERE ISN'T A POCKET most of the time, because our O-line is getting beat badly.

HANC, I agree with all of those points. The only thing that has people excited about Brion is that it isn't about Taylor just being a freshman, it's about Taylor's skillset as a player and being as raw as he is in certain categories. As long as the offense requires him not to be, he will struggle. Brion is less raw in those areas, and much more developed in his passing. Throwing on the run is something that looks really to be a part of his skillset and I know we'd all like to see that out of QB. Maybe we can evolve to an offense where a QB doesn't need skills such as making pre-snap adjustments, but I don't know if that is likely. Taylor does some things very well, but to call him a Heisman contender is a little premature.

Thanks for the insight on Brion... I don't have any info on practices, other than what I see on the board. Also, maybe Brion is more of a leader. I think Taylor can be a leader. We all had to "grow up" during our college years. Furthermore, I really don't care if Taylor is overwhelmingly "liked" by his teammates. Some of the best leaders ever weren't necessarily popular. Tommie Frazer definitely wasn't going to be voted most popular, nor Crouch or Frost for that matter.

I just expect Martinez to be more mature, understand the offense and defenses better next year. He can polish the passing game druing the off-season. We aren't asking him to be John Elway. I just know that typically you see the largest amount of improvement in a player is from their 1st year of competition and their second year. There is absolutely no way I am giving up on Martinez being something VERY special here at Nebraska.

Trying to talk Taylor Martinez into playing WR is like trying to teach a pig to sing.

Not even close. Both Taylor and Nebraska could benefit from a move to WR. IMO Martinez is a lot faster than Kerry Meier and a better QB however Meir wouldn't have been drafted had he stayed at QB and neither will Martinez. If Barnes can throw the ball he could win the starting job. I'd rather have Martinez at WR than the bench.

Trying to talk Taylor Martinez into playing WR is like trying to teach a pig to sing.

Not even close. Both Taylor and Nebraska could benefit from a move to WR. IMO Martinez is a lot faster than Kerry Meier and a better QB however Meir wouldn't have been drafted had he stayed at QB and neither will Martinez. If Barnes can throw the ball he could win the starting job. I'd rather have Martinez at WR than the bench.

I'm not saying I don't want Taylor Martinez at WR, I'm saying that I don't think that Taylor Martinez wants Taylor Martinez at WR.

If the coaches are sure that we have a better QB on the depth chart than Taylor and they can talk him into playing the position, then I say go for it. Taylor came to Nebraska to be a QB though, so I don't see convincing him to play WR being an easy task.

I think everyone saying Martinez can't throw have forgotten some of his passes in the Texas game and the Okie State game. The Texas defense wasn't too bad. If the receivers would have helped him out at all, he'd have had a great day statistically. He's no Manning back there throwing the ball, but he isn't a Frost or Frazier either. A healthy Martinez at QB is our best chance to win. I don't really know why we'd want to move him to another position.

Does anyone else think maybe our insistence on having receivers that are blocking studs could be hurting us in the passing game? I just realized this... I had always been for a tough, hardnosed receiving corps that knew they had a big part in creating long plays in the running game by throwing solid blocks, but only letting guys on the field who excel at blocking? Not every receiver is hard wired that way. And if it keeps Taylor and other "finesse" receivers off the field who could actually greatly benefit us through the air by stretching the field with their speed, isn't that kind of borderline keeping our offense "one dimensional?" That'd be the most ironic slap in the face conceivable, considering Watson's feelings on multiplicity <_<

Seriously, if not being the best blockers keeps our speed guys off the field, that hurts our offense. Some even think it got Antonio Bell banished from the WR corps. I'd hate to think our best pure "receivers" (i.e., guys who are good at getting open and catching the ball, not blocking on the perimeter) are stuck on the bench because they're not physical enough. I know we want complete receivers, but cmon.