Callahan: I'm staying positive.

kramer

just like he continued to run the 2 TE set, even in the 2nd half...this is the stubborn sh#t that Callahan will continue to do

It seems a lot of folks want to have their cake and eat it too. On the one hand people criticize Callahan for bringing too complex of an offensive system-the kids can't handle it. But at the same time criticize him for running the same set for a majority of the game - he's just being stubborn.

IMO running the same set seems to indicate a simplification of the offense, which is what many folks have been calling for. Surely there's no one on the team who can't remember where to line up in one particular formation and then do it over and over, even if there's some motion invovled. But since it didn't work out like we wanted it to, now Callahan's just stubborn.

It's amazing how many cliches can be placed on a team in such a unique situation as the Huskers. Or at least, unique to me.

There were some pretty funny quotes from that article, but I decided at the last second not to point out any, because I think, really, I don't need to make fun of BC too much more.

This is one of the most interesting and controversial 3-0's I;ve seen, though I;m pretty new to this all. But still...

I guess what I really am looking forward to is the day when BC can make a press statement saying "Yeah, I really liked how our offense got to put a lot of points on the board, and sustained some key long drives. That was a big part of our win last Saturday".

I know it will be a while, but it's like smelling the steak before you can see it, taste it. Mmm... It's not dinner time yet, I guess, but I'm still hungry. And BC&Co have the ingredients neccesary, in my opinion...

BC made that "dumb" remark when the team rebelled in the year after they went to the Super Bowl. He was right and they were in a resurrection by a few veteran players. Guess what; they had a miserable year and haven't done anything since!? He is not going to do that with college kids; they are teenagers and a scholarship is not like a multimillion $ contract. His job is really about having the staff do teaching and repetition, besides recruiting. He'll support the "kids" in public, because at this point encouragement and building confidence is sorely needed. Success does that as the defense now almost is in swagger mode...almost.

This thread is not going to be as controversial and maybe a little boring when the club wins more and more in the years to come. What will the naysayers do then?

This thread is not going to be as controversial and maybe a little boring when the club wins more and more in the years to come. What will the naysayers do then?

I know that alot of you are not gonna agree with me, but Im betting that NU doesnt get much better while billy c is around. Then I'll say "I told ya so."

This thread is not going to be as controversial and maybe a little boring when the club wins more and more in the years to come.  What will the naysayers do then?

I know that alot of you are not gonna agree with me, but Im betting that NU doesnt get much better while billy c is around. Then I'll say "I told ya so."

And when we're competing for a Natl. Championship in 3 years, I'll say "I told you so." :wtf

This thread is not going to be as controversial and maybe a little boring when the club wins more and more in the years to come.  What will the naysayers do then?

And when we're competing for a Natl. Championship in 3 years, I'll say "I told you so." :wtf

I guess we'll see ;)

Anyone who expected this many new freshman coming in and play like USC is playing, specially Zac Taylor is fooling themselves. You have a few players who never played a down last year and need experience. You have new players on offense who are learning the system as they go. People are expecting a 7-4 and 8-3 season this year, and we are 3-0, so why people are complaining is mind blowing. USC pulled out a few ugly wins last year on the heels of the defense, and that's with guys who have been playing together for 3 years. Let me repeat, 3 years. Not 1 or 2 but 3 years.

What are people expecting callahan to say? This player sucks and that player can't block and so and so can't catch a ball..etc. There is 2 problems i see on offense and untill those problems are corrected (the coaches hands are tied at the moment, so i don't blame them), we will continue to pull out ugly wins. Anyone who has read my posts knows exactly what i am talking about

Anyone who expected this many new freshman coming in and play like USC is playing, specially Zac Taylor is fooling themselves. You have a few players who never played a down last year and need experience. You have new players on offense who are learning the system as they go. People are expecting a 7-4 and 8-3 season this year, and we are 3-0, so why people are complaining is mind blowing. USC pulled out a few ugly wins last year on the heels of the defense, and that's with guys who have been playing together for 3 years. Let me repeat, 3 years. Not 1 or 2 but 3 years.

What are people expecting callahan to say? This player sucks and that player can't block and so and so can't catch a ball..etc. There is 2 problems i see on offense and untill those problems are corrected (the coaches hands are tied at the moment, so i don't blame them), we will continue to pull out ugly wins. Anyone who has read my posts knows exactly what i am talking about

Thank you now everybody just chill out. This Sat. get some yard work done watch alittle football and get ready for conf. play. THIS WILL TAKE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!! A couple years from now if we are still in the same position then let heads roll. But for now back your program up they as in players need it the most now. :thumbs

Anyone who expected this many new freshman coming in and play like USC is playing, specially Zac Taylor is fooling themselves. You have a few players who never played a down last year and need experience. You have new players on offense who are learning the system as they go. People are expecting a 7-4 and 8-3 season this year, and we are 3-0, so why people are complaining is mind blowing.

I guess that most of us were not expecting the greatest offense in the world, but we were expecting some improvement. I mean, it is the 2nd year of the billy c. regime, he has HIS qb running the show, HIS receivers on the field getting the majority of the passes, and almost all of the running backs are HIS. Especially after many "very knowledgable" people have told us that now that NU got rid of Dailey, the offense will roll.

:wtf

So if we buy into that Billy C inherited crappy players from Solich, why shouldn't we buy into he inherited a Super Bowl team from Gruden and ruined them?

Switzer inherited a team from Jimmy, and he was pretty successful for a while until he didn't make the necessary personnel changes and began to suck. I don't think Switzer was a great Pro coach, but he does have the hardware. BC inherited a talent rich team from Gruden. Today, that once talented team sucks. Solich, Pelini, or whoever else you want to give cudos to won games with the talent BC inherited. BC didn't!

I find it down right disgraceful when I hear hey guys come on lighten up we're only 3 wins away from being bowl eligible. Since when did being bowl eligible highlight the friggin season? Answer: since not making one for the first time since what 1961. Personally, I don't give a rats ass if we make a bowl game or not. I wanted to see improvement and heart this season. All I'm seeing offensively is a bunch of guys simply going through the motions. If it weren't for lion heart Ross back there, our offense would be last in D1. I realize defense win championships, but ask the Ravens what no offense gets you.

If we get blasted by Iowa State, I'm really going to be pissed. Why? They're playing with a lot of Nebraska rejects, kids who only dreamed of playing for the Big Red. If these guys come in here and make our highly touted talent look foolish, then I'll really be seeing red!

So if we buy into that Billy C inherited crappy players from Solich, why shouldn't we buy into he inherited a Super Bowl team from Gruden and ruined them?

Switzer inherited a team from Jimmy, and he was pretty successful for a while until he didn't make the necessary personnel changes and began to suck. I don't think Switzer was a great Pro coach, but he does have the hardware. BC inherited a talent rich team from Gruden. Today, that once talented team sucks. Solich, Pelini, or whoever else you want to give cudos to won games with the talent BC inherited. BC didn't!

I find it down right disgraceful when I hear hey guys come on lighten up we're only 3 wins away from being bowl eligible. Since when did being bowl eligible highlight the friggin season? Answer: since not making one for the first time since what 1961. Personally, I don't give a rats ass if we make a bowl game or not. I wanted to see improvement and heart this season. All I'm seeing offensively is a bunch of guys simply going through the motions. If it weren't for lion heart Ross back there, our offense would be last in D1. I realize defense win championships, but ask the Ravens what no offense gets you.

If we get blasted by Iowa State, I'm really going to be pissed. Why? They're playing with a lot of Nebraska rejects, kids who only dreamed of playing for the Big Red. If these guys come in here and make our highly touted talent look foolish, then I'll really be seeing red!

:yeah

I agree with that except I do care if we make a bowl game. That means at least 6 wins which is improvement over last year. It also means the team gets to practice 3+ more weeks than they did last year (they need it), it also means they get 1 more game for experience. Just trying to make them more seasoned for the following year. That should be a goal every year is to win and also get better for the following year.

I agree with you, NU fan in Denver. Being in Lakewood, I know what it's like to be despised by the CU fans and the Colorado media. I don't need fellow NU fans bashing our coaches. It simply has no beneficial result. Living in the past is not cheering the team. The players are very upbeat and positive. Let's hope they don't read these boards. The CU fans would like nothing better than to have Solich back.

A bowl game this year is an essential step back to the top. It is necessary for all players as NU Fan in Denver stated, as well as, their confident pysche.

They're playing with a lot of Nebraska rejects, kids who only dreamed of playing for the Big Red.

If you are talking about Leaders, Davis, and Hicks blame those guys on ole Frankie. They are two redshirt juniors and a senior so Billy C wasn't around to recruit these guys. Frankie told Hicks he would only get a look at LB. He wanted a shot at RB. Leaders was going to ISU regardless of coach. I believe his brother plays(ed) there as well as a couple other family members. I'm sure Davis didn't even get a look since we never used to recruit WR taller then 6 foot. Meyer and Blythe are Iowa boys and we NEVER had a shot with them. Maybe I missed some but those are the only three I can come up with.

Unless you mean Barney Cotton and Mike Grant.