The World Is Wrong

Another thing wrong with the world....if I go into my bosses office and say, "listen Joe, I'd like your permission to interview for another job." Joe would say, "sure, I believe an unempoyed person SHOULD be seeking work. Go out and interview for as many jobs as you like, and make sure you take home all those stupid plants when you clean out your desk this afternoon."

And I would have SO much leverage since I failed to meet my quota 2 out of the last 3 months. And when I didn't meet quota 2 months ago I was publicly reprimanded by the president of the company.

And I'm in the printing business where loyalty is never discussed.

However, in an industry where words like teamwork, and family, and loyalty are contantly throw in our face as qualities necessary for success....dudes can bolt at soon as any kind of job competitive job opening is available.

Why didn't my Mother raise a successful football coach!

Another thing wrong with the world....if I go into my bosses office and say, "listen Joe, I'd like your permission to interview for another job." Joe would say, "sure, I believe an unempoyed person SHOULD be seeking work. Go out and interview for as many jobs as you like, and make sure you take home all those stupid plants when you clean out your desk this afternoon."

And I would have SO much leverage since I failed to meet my quota 2 out of the last 3 months. And when I didn't meet quota 2 months ago I was publicly reprimanded by the president of the company.

However, in an industry where words like teamwork, and family, and loyalty are contantly throw in our face as qualities necessary for success....dudes can bolt at soon as any kind of job competitive job opening is available.

Is your job contracted? There is a give and take there, part of the game. While yes if you sought permission to interview you probably would be fired, but also if you took another job you would not have a several million dollar buy out to pay(as Bo would)

The difference is that you don't need permission to interview for another job. I doubt that it's written into your employment contract. (If you're like most folks, you don't even have an employment contract.) Besides, if you are a good employee, and your boss heard about you interviewing for another job, he (she?) would most likely try to get you to stay. It's hard to find good people to fill a position.

Just for fun..... I am guesing that in "your scenario"...that your company wasn't about bankrupt when you showed up in the firm...and in your job, your company went from almost bankrupt to making a good profit in your first year as the leader...then in year two, the company again exceeded the yearly goals and was named "business of the year" among businesses your size (once again, under your leadership)....and finally, in your 3rd year of being a team leader within your company, you set goals...maybe to be the top business in the city. While your first 3 qtrs, your business thrived , but maybe you struggled the last qtr of the year.

Goal for year 3 not met, but yet, you still were named "business of the year" among your size, JUST not top business in the city...Furthermore, your profits exceeded years one and two that you have been the leader. In year 3, under your leadership, the company has earned more money since 2002....but because of a sub-par 4th qtr and an office outburst by you during that time (probably stress related because of 'goal'), your boss is going to send you packing the first time another company pursues you?

If you have earned that type of a reputation as a business man, and other big companies would like to talk to you....I willing to guess that your boss would NOT ONLY cross his fingers you stayed, but would WATER your dumb plants for you if you did. :worship

However..... In a lot of business's, higher end employees must sign a confidentiality agreement limiting what they can do as far as employment at competing business's. Sometimes I have to sign such agreements just to enter a business to give them advise or design something for them. The University of Nebraska is a very big business. Whether Bo likes it or not he is a contract employee of the University and is expected to abide by his contract. Anything short of such agreements will result in a penalty. Miami is not under any contract that states they have to ask permission before contacting a potential coach for an interview. It is just a courtesy that most reputable schools adhere to. But Bo is under contract to get permission before such interview.

And I would have SO much leverage since I failed to meet my quota 2 out of the last 3 months.

Bo really has so much leverage.

Frequent coaching changes can be detrimental to a program, and Bo Pelinis don't grow on trees.

I know first hand that Nebraska has an excellent horticultural program. Give them time.

• Fire 1