Buck Up Huskers the B10 awaits you

Wolvie3758

There is NO BETTER BOWL GAME IN AMERICA than the Rose Bowl..the whole event ,the parade, Pasadena New Years EVE, the weather etc etc..as far as Events go the Rose Bowl is by far the best bowl game and always will be..Ive been to 7 RoseBowls and I never get tired of going...

This is a mindset shared by members of the Big 10 and the Pac-10. The other 43 AQ schools do not share this sentiment, nor do the remaining 56 non-AQ schools. The Rose Bowl is considered to be just another bowl game, or maybe slightly better than just another bowl game, by most everyone.

I respect the Rose Bowl, but not being a member of the Big 10 these past 40 years of my life, I've considered it to be full of pompous foppery all these years. It's going to take a LONG time for that sentiment to change among Nebraska fans, I'm thinking. That's not intended to be rude, it's just that we have a very different perspective than you.

• Fire 1

There is NO BETTER BOWL GAME IN AMERICA than the Rose Bowl..the whole event ,the parade, Pasadena New Years EVE, the weather etc etc..as far as Events go the Rose Bowl is by far the best bowl game and always will be..Ive been to 7 RoseBowls and I never get tired of going...

This is a mindset shared by members of the Big 10 and the Pac-10. The other 43 AQ schools do not share this sentiment, nor do the remaining 56 non-AQ schools. The Rose Bowl is considered to be just another bowl game, or maybe slightly better than just another bowl game, by most everyone.

I respect the Rose Bowl, but not being a member of the Big 10 these past 40 years of my life, I've considered it to be full of pompous foppery all these years. It's going to take a LONG time for that sentiment to change among Nebraska fans, I'm thinking. That's not intended to be rude, it's just that we have a very different perspective than you.

Yes but as stated, wait to NU goes and youll see what he was talking about. Look up the history of the rose bowl.

Yes but as stated, wait to NU goes and youll see what he was talking about. Look up the history of the rose bowl.

The Rose Bowl was once played at Duke. Nuff Said.

I've been watching the Rose Bowl for the better part of four decades. I'm pretty sure I know all about the Rose Bowl. ;)

What I think you're not focusing on is that, since 1970 (coincidentally, the year I was born), Nebraska has had the same focus every year - not "The ______ Bowl," but the National Championship. Husker fans for generations have grown up thinking National Championship, and the bowl game we play in to win it doesn't matter one bit.

Contrast that with aiming for the Rose Bowl first and National Championship second and you'll begin to understand how little we're going to care if we go to the Rose Bowl.

Heck, Nebraska went to the Rose Bowl in 2001 and didn't care one whit about it - the MNC was the focus. The fact that the MNC game happened to be played in the Rose Bowl was a coincidence, not the focus.

I went to the Rose Bowl MNC 2001, it was a good time. Parking was a nightmare (on a golf course) and the stadium needed some upgrades (I am not talking Wrigley Field vs Yankee Stadium type). I would rather our team focus on the MNC. This year, I have to admit, I was more focused on the Big 12 title vs MNC. So from that standpoint, "I get" what they are saying about the Rose Bowl.

As stated before. "Part of the Rose Bowl thing stems from the fact that for DECADES the Big 10 didn't allow their teams to play in any bowl except the Rose Bowl. It was literally Rose Bowl or bust. Over the years there had been several 1 and 2 loss teams ranked in the top 10 at the end of the year sitting at home for the holidays. 1975 was the first year that multiple teams from the conference were allowed to attend bowl games. Yes that was over 30 years ago now - but Rose Bowl or bust was around for long enough that it remains ingrained as the primary goal to start the season. That doesn't mean that teams don't want to play for the MNC - but when even an undefeated season might not mean a chance to play for it all, the Rose Bowl is the only goal that is guaranteed at the start of the season.

GO HAWKS!"

So now what you are saying is the B10, should just drop a hundred years of tradition? As I said we are trying and suceeding at consistantly going to 2 BCS bowls every year. The Rose is a pride/tradition thing and now we are trying to make the other the NC game. If you all cant get on board with that, then I really have to question the addition of NU to the B10. From reading all the post's on OK and NU's history, I would have thought you all would understand tradition better. The difference is this is a conference wide thing, not just a 2 teams playing each other thing.

As stated before. "Part of the Rose Bowl thing stems from the fact that for DECADES the Big 10 didn't allow their teams to play in any bowl except the Rose Bowl. It was literally Rose Bowl or bust. Over the years there had been several 1 and 2 loss teams ranked in the top 10 at the end of the year sitting at home for the holidays. 1975 was the first year that multiple teams from the conference were allowed to attend bowl games. Yes that was over 30 years ago now - but Rose Bowl or bust was around for long enough that it remains ingrained as the primary goal to start the season. That doesn't mean that teams don't want to play for the MNC - but when even an undefeated season might not mean a chance to play for it all, the Rose Bowl is the only goal that is guaranteed at the start of the season.

GO HAWKS!"

So now what you are saying is the B10, should just drop a hundred years of tradition? As I said we are trying and suceeding at consistantly going to 2 BCS bowls every year. The Rose is a pride/tradition thing and now we are trying to make the other the NC game. If you all cant get on board with that, then I really have to question the addition of NU to the B10. From reading all the post's on OK and NU's history, I would have thought you all would understand tradition better. The difference is this is a conference wide thing, not just a 2 teams playing each other thing.

Calm down, there. Of course we understand tradition. But to expect Nebraska to simply adopt the Rose Bowl as an acceptable end of the season reward when for 40 years the acceptable goal was a national championship is absurd.

Here's the problem - you tend to shoot for the goals you set yourself. The Big 10's focus on the Rose Bowl rather than national championships may explain why, since 1970, the conference as a whole has won three national championships, one of which is very much disputed here in Lincoln. Since 1970 Nebraska alone has won five national championships, and the Big 8/Big 12 has claimed 11 MNC's. There's clearly a difference in focus there, and Nebraska will NOT embrace that change in philosophy.

I actually really like the Rose Bowl. Out of all the bowls there is just something about it that I like however I think I would probably truly like it in the same vain as the original Big 10 fanbase does if it were indeed affiliated with/as the National Championship game as well. I'd be totally fine with 'Nebraska vs (insert team) in the Rose Bowl for the National Championship.' That would be pretty cool.

The Rose Bowl is great but for me the National Championship game pawns all.

the resistance youre running into is Nebraska fans dont particularly care for 'tradition' or 'rivalry' to be forced fed to them...we have plenty of our own.

the fact is, most years the Rose Bowl games 'history' I keep seeing touted is a complete joke. Including this year, 5 out of the last 10 havent even featured a Big 10/Pac 10 matchup.

if Nebraska makes the Rose Bowl, will the fans be excited to go? Sure. It will be a great trip. but dont be surprised when Nebraska fans dont fall over themselves wishing for it unless its a MNC year in Pasadena.

To clarify, B10 teams are shooting for the NC. Tradition for us says that besides the NC the Rose is the next best thing. If we ever send one team to the NC and another to the Rose Bowl, the whole of the midwest will be rocking. Both games will most likely be sellout crowds. Fans will come out of the wood work. That is our goal as a conference. For many years now we have been able to put 2 teams in BCS bowls, but not the NC, something as a conference we hope the addition of NU will help us with. Now I am not saying we expect NU to wrap up a NC, right away or anytime soon. We just hope the addition of a very good program will elavate the level of play of the conference as a whole. When the level of play rises we will be able to continue to keep our strangle hold on 2 BCS bowls and hopefully soon 1 of those bowls will be for the NC.

I'm sorry.

Noone that is not in the Pac 10 or Big 10 give a darn about the Rose Bowl. No one. Sure, it's really cute when you guys put roses in your mouth when you win a game to secure the Rose Bowl bid, and it's cute that you add Roses to your helmet decals or uniforms in some way, but get over yourselves.

If you love the Rose Bowl so much, keep Ohio State out of the blowout that is the National Championship game with Ohio State vs. anyone from the SEC, and let them play in the Rose bowl.

I'm sorry.

Noone that is not in the Pac 10 or Big 10 give a darn about the Rose Bowl. No one. Sure, it's really cute when you guys put roses in your mouth when you win a game to secure the Rose Bowl bid, and it's cute that you add Roses to your helmet decals or uniforms in some way, but get over yourselves.

If you love the Rose Bowl so much, keep Ohio State out of the blowout that is the National Championship game with Ohio State vs. anyone from the SEC, and let them play in the Rose bowl.

I apoligize ahead of time, with that said. That's a very well thought out and spoken responce. So I will give you one back. Well atleast we got NU out of losing the B12 to OK or TX all the time.

I'm sorry.

I apoligize ahead of time, with that said. That's a very well thought out and spoken responce. So I will give you one back. Well atleast we got NU out of losing the B12 to OK or TX all the time.

FYI - Killer Cacti isn't that concerned with who Nebraska loses to. He's a Clemson fan. ;)

I'm sorry.

FYI - Killer Cacti isn't that concerned with who Nebraska loses to. He's a Clemson fan. ;)

Thats why I apoligized ahead of time. I wasnt trying to disrespect NU or the fans as a whole, just calling out one person.

I'm sorry.

Thats why I apoligized ahead of time. I wasnt trying to disrespect NU or the fans as a whole, just calling out one idiot.

Idiot? Someone can't handle the truth.