Buck Up Huskers the B10 awaits you

Wolvie3758

I meet a ohio st. guy tonight and he was excited about Nebraska joining the league. But one thing I have noticed about Big Ten people are that its about the Rose bowl. maybe I still have the 80's and 90's hangover, but I always look at the schedule and say how do we get to the national championship. With the way they scheduled it next year, its really likely they will have a rematch in the ccg game and no team with a shot at the national title, because everyone took each other out. But boom the Big Ten has marketed it great. Man next years games are going to be great.Cant wait.

There is NO BETTER BOWL GAME IN AMERICA than the Rose Bowl..the whole event ,the parade, Pasadena New Years EVE, the weather etc etc..as far as Events go the Rose Bowl is by far the best bowl game and always will be..Ive been to 7 RoseBowls and I never get tired of going...

agreed. i am probably biased (check my user name), but the rose bowl and pasadena knows how to put on a show. it will probably take awhile for my beloved huskers to get here, but when they do you can all camp out on my front lawn (my neighbors and their obnoxious basset hound be damned!) and we will walk the 1.0 mile half smashed or so up to the parade and watch the pride of all nebraska belt out hail varsity! can't wait for the move to the big ten!

Or as our B10 blogger wrote

" Whoa, Homer, I wouldn't go nearly that far. Grab a Duff beer and chill out. Nebraska is still a phenomenal addition to the Big Ten, and the Huskers and their fans undoubtedly will enhance the Big Ten's profile as it tries to unseat the SEC as the nation's top conference. No letdown at all there. I can understand your frustration with the divisions names, the logo and, to a lesser extent, the division alignments, but to call this the "failure of expansion" is really missing the mark. The Big Ten is getting better with Nebraska."

Now personally I think a conference with like minded teams,fans and goals will easily be able to do this. Thats why we are having this discussion. It is most likely the same one NU and the B10 had before they announced NU coming to the b10. So, in conclussion I am sorry if I have failed to explain why the Rose bowl is an important thing to teams in the B10. I respect the fact that not being apart of that tradition NU fans could care less. So I will just say this (and everyone should be happy) As the newest member to the B10 welcome, now LET'S GO WIN A NC and a Rose Bowl.

Buck up Husker fans your world is about the change FOR THE BETTER.....1st of all your joining THE Premier Conference in the Nation. You will be a member of some of the most

prestigious Universities in America, Academically and Athletically. You will be making ALOT more dough, your potential bowl destinations in the future will be more desirable and

prestigious. Your other athletic teams will mesh nicely into the B10...just last night Michigan competed in the College Cup Soccer Final Four and OSU played in the women's soccer final Four. You already have many nationally competitive sports and your Exposure on the BTN will just bring bigger and better recruits to your sports team....THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember?

You are going to a conference where you are WANTED and RESPECTED...look around the B10 ALL the schools are excited about having Nebraska! When I compare the welcome of Penn St vs Nebraska I believe Nebraska is head and shoulders above what Penn St was at the time they joined...Having a conference with Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St and Nebraska..along with Iowa and Wisconsin? are you kidding me?

I know its been a rough and tumble last year in the Big12 and frankly the way Nebraska has been treated by the Big12 and its member insitutions is awful..The other teams are

acting like spoiled little children and it seems retribution for leaving is their primary focus...I say F them..Welcome to the Big10!!!!get ready for a bright future!...Dont expect to walk in the conference and mop up..Penn St did and it took a few years before they won a title but we all know Neb will be competitive from the get go!

The Big 10 is a group of like minded schools banded together who respect each other and each school is equal..No school gets more than the other ..we are all equal from Michigan

down to Northwestern. Decisions are made based upon what is good forthe collective not the individual and all are treated fairly and eauitably...I could be wrong but Im guessing

that sounds pretty good about now...

Just a few short months and you will be ONE OF US!!!...good luck and Welcome

If i could i would reach through this computer, shake your hand and offer you a beer.

I look forward too the first division game we play.

Or as our B10 blogger wrote

" Whoa, Homer, I wouldn't go nearly that far. Grab a Duff beer and chill out. Nebraska is still a phenomenal addition to the Big Ten, and the Huskers and their fans undoubtedly will enhance the Big Ten's profile as it tries to unseat the SEC as the nation's top conference. No letdown at all there. I can understand your frustration with the divisions names, the logo and, to a lesser extent, the division alignments, but to call this the "failure of expansion" is really missing the mark. The Big Ten is getting better with Nebraska."

Now personally I think a conference with like minded teams,fans and goals will easily be able to do this. Thats why we are having this discussion. It is most likely the same one NU and the B10 had before they announced NU coming to the b10. So, in conclussion I am sorry if I have failed to explain why the Rose bowl is an important thing to teams in the B10. I respect the fact that not being apart of that tradition NU fans could care less. So I will just say this (and everyone should be happy) As the newest member to the B10 welcome, now LET'S GO WIN A NC and a Rose Bowl.

Well said. I think there are a LOT of traditions at play here, and it's going to take time for all of us to learn the traditions of each team, and for Nebraskans to learn the traditions/culture of the conference as a whole.

I think it's obvious we don't disrespect the Rose Bowl, but from an outsider's perspective, it's just not that big of a deal. Maybe in five-ten years that'll change.

Buck up Husker fans your world is about the change FOR THE BETTER.....1st of all your joining THE Premier Conference in the Nation. You will be a member of some of the most

prestigious Universities in America, Academically and Athletically. You will be making ALOT more dough, your potential bowl destinations in the future will be more desirable and

prestigious. Your other athletic teams will mesh nicely into the B10...just last night Michigan competed in the College Cup Soccer Final Four and OSU played in the women's soccer final Four. You already have many nationally competitive sports and your Exposure on the BTN will just bring bigger and better recruits to your sports team....THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember?

You are going to a conference where you are WANTED and RESPECTED...look around the B10 ALL the schools are excited about having Nebraska! When I compare the welcome of Penn St vs Nebraska I believe Nebraska is head and shoulders above what Penn St was at the time they joined...Having a conference with Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St and Nebraska..along with Iowa and Wisconsin? are you kidding me?

I know its been a rough and tumble last year in the Big12 and frankly the way Nebraska has been treated by the Big12 and its member insitutions is awful..The other teams are

acting like spoiled little children and it seems retribution for leaving is their primary focus...I say F them..Welcome to the Big10!!!!get ready for a bright future!...Dont expect to walk in the conference and mop up..Penn St did and it took a few years before they won a title but we all know Neb will be competitive from the get go!

The Big 10 is a group of like minded schools banded together who respect each other and each school is equal..No school gets more than the other ..we are all equal from Michigan

down to Northwestern. Decisions are made based upon what is good forthe collective not the individual and all are treated fairly and eauitably...I could be wrong but Im guessing

that sounds pretty good about now...

Just a few short months and you will be ONE OF US!!!...good luck and Welcome

lulz!! This made me chuckle!! But thanx for the warm welcome!!

He meant it geographically. ;)

No...he meant it monetarily. None of this Texas is more important so they get more money bullsh#t.....everyone gets the same amount.

I was threw for a loop when they said we were joining the premiere conference.

Depends on the context, I suppose. The SEC is clearly the #1 conference, and has been for a decade, but it hasn't been top dog nearly as long as the Big 10, and there's every reason to believe they won't be top dog forever, or even much longer. The SEC is always teetering on the edge of violations sanctions, and they're not always going to get all the top recruits to stay home. They're not always going to have top coaches, and regime change affects everyone differently (think RichRod to Michigan, and extrapolate that to Muschamp to Florida). It's a crapshoot, and if we know anything about college football over the long term, it's proven to by cyclical - sometimes with a vengeance.

Don't give in to the ESPN hype too much ;)

In 2006, the start of the supposed SEC dominance, the SEC went 1-4 against the Big10. It's happened over the past few years as well but it's traded off. 2006 was the most glaringly obvious that this statement was incorrect.

I was threw for a loop when they said we were joining the premiere conference.

Depends on the context, I suppose. The SEC is clearly the #1 conference, and has been for a decade, but it hasn't been top dog nearly as long as the Big 10, and there's every reason to believe they won't be top dog forever, or even much longer. The SEC is always teetering on the edge of violations sanctions, and they're not always going to get all the top recruits to stay home. They're not always going to have top coaches, and regime change affects everyone differently (think RichRod to Michigan, and extrapolate that to Muschamp to Florida). It's a crapshoot, and if we know anything about college football over the long term, it's proven to by cyclical - sometimes with a vengeance.

Don't give in to the ESPN hype too much ;)

In 2006, the start of the supposed SEC dominance, the SEC went 1-4 against the Big10. It's happened over the past few years as well but it's traded off. 2006 was the most glaringly obvious that this statement was incorrect.

You will be hard-pressed to find a person less impressed by anything ESPN produces than I.

And I don't think most people identify 2006 as the year the SEC became dominant. They've won five of the last seven MNC's and they've been ranked as the toughest conference per Sagarin five of the last ten years:

2000 - 4

2001 - 1

2002 - 3

2003 - 2

2004 - 6

2005 - 5

2006 - 1

2007 - 1

2008 - 1

2009 - 1

The SEC is currently 0.12 points behind the Pac-10 for this year's toughest conference, and if Auburn beats Oregon they'll clinch it. Again.

ESPN's got nothing to do with it. The SEC is just a tough conference right now.

the resistance youre running into is Nebraska fans dont particularly care for 'tradition' or 'rivalry' to be forced fed to them...we have plenty of our own.

the fact is, most years the Rose Bowl games 'history' I keep seeing touted is a complete joke. Including this year, 5 out of the last 10 havent even featured a Big 10/Pac 10 matchup.

if Nebraska makes the Rose Bowl, will the fans be excited to go? Sure. It will be a great trip. but dont be surprised when Nebraska fans dont fall over themselves wishing for it unless its a MNC year in Pasadena.

And that is the exact reason that Delaney made all of those statements about the non-AQ schools and their access and the fact that they better just be happy with what they have because as far as he and the Pac-12 commissioner are concerned they have already massively screwed up the Rose Bowl.

"The problem," Delany interrupted, "is your big stage takes away opportunities for my teams, to play on the stage they created in 1902."

"The notion," Delany said, "that over time by putting political pressure on, it's just going to get greater access, more financial reward and more access to the Rose Bowl, I think you're really testing."

"We gave up the Rose Bowl, the SEC gave up access to the Sugar Bowl, others were included but they never had access to any of this before," Delany said. "You have to understand who brought what to the table. Who's continuing to give and who's continuing to get."

"The only thing I would say, if you think you (the non-automatic qualifying leagues) can continue to pressure the system and we'll just naturally provide more and more and more," Delany said. "I don't think that's an assumption that our presidents, athletic directors, football coaches and commissioners necessarily agree with.

Those contracts, though, may not be renewed if the non-automatic qualifying leagues keep asking for more. And from Delany's tone: this isn't a threat, but a promise.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/12/09/jim-delany-warns-non-aq-leagues-dont-expect-more-than-youre/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

When all is said and done - Delaney is PISSED about what the BCS has done to the Rose Bowl tradition. The Rose Bowl was the last to join (leading to the Nebraska/Penn State and Nebraska/Michigan games not being able to be played) and has also demanded concessions whenever something happened that caused them to lose out on the Pac-10 Big-10 game (in 2002 when the Orange Bowl picked Iowa first and kept the Rose from getting us to replace Ohio State the rules were changed so that the conference tie ins were maintained if there was another eligible school). The Rose Bowl was also the driving force behind stopping the rotation of the title game being played in the actual bowl and instead being played the following week at the same site so that they wouldn't lose their game every 4 years. The Rose Bowl did give in to the once in 4 years having to take a non-AQ school due to political pressure but I wouldn't be surprised to see that go away in the next round as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last year that you don't see a traditional Rose Bowl match-up for the forseeable future.

the resistance youre running into is Nebraska fans dont particularly care for 'tradition' or 'rivalry' to be forced fed to them...we have plenty of our own.

the fact is, most years the Rose Bowl games 'history' I keep seeing touted is a complete joke. Including this year, 5 out of the last 10 havent even featured a Big 10/Pac 10 matchup.

if Nebraska makes the Rose Bowl, will the fans be excited to go? Sure. It will be a great trip. but dont be surprised when Nebraska fans dont fall over themselves wishing for it unless its a MNC year in Pasadena.

And that is the exact reason that Delaney made all of those statements about the non-AQ schools and their access and the fact that they better just be happy with what they have because as far as he and the Pac-12 commissioner are concerned they have already massively screwed up the Rose Bowl.

"The problem," Delany interrupted, "is your big stage takes away opportunities for my teams, to play on the stage they created in 1902."

"The notion," Delany said, "that over time by putting political pressure on, it's just going to get greater access, more financial reward and more access to the Rose Bowl, I think you're really testing."

"We gave up the Rose Bowl, the SEC gave up access to the Sugar Bowl, others were included but they never had access to any of this before," Delany said. "You have to understand who brought what to the table. Who's continuing to give and who's continuing to get."

"The only thing I would say, if you think you (the non-automatic qualifying leagues) can continue to pressure the system and we'll just naturally provide more and more and more," Delany said. "I don't think that's an assumption that our presidents, athletic directors, football coaches and commissioners necessarily agree with.

Those contracts, though, may not be renewed if the non-automatic qualifying leagues keep asking for more. And from Delany's tone: this isn't a threat, but a promise.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/12/09/jim-delany-warns-non-aq-leagues-dont-expect-more-than-youre/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

When all is said and done - Delaney is PISSED about what the BCS has done to the Rose Bowl tradition. The Rose Bowl was the last to join (leading to the Nebraska/Penn State and Nebraska/Michigan games not being able to be played) and has also demanded concessions whenever something happened that caused them to lose out on the Pac-10 Big-10 game (in 2002 when the Orange Bowl picked Iowa first and kept the Rose from getting us to replace Ohio State the rules were changed so that the conference tie ins were maintained if there was another eligible school). The Rose Bowl was also the driving force behind stopping the rotation of the title game being played in the actual bowl and instead being played the following week at the same site so that they wouldn't lose their game every 4 years. The Rose Bowl did give in to the once in 4 years having to take a non-AQ school due to political pressure but I wouldn't be surprised to see that go away in the next round as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last year that you don't see a traditional Rose Bowl match-up for the forseeable future.

Good read,well put and deciphered.

I would only add.

"The Rose Bowl was exclusively a Big Ten-Pac-10 affair for 52 years, from 1946 (1947 Rose Bowl) through 1997 (1998 Rose Bowl). While the Big Ten dominated the game in the late 1940s and 1950s, and the Pac-10 dominated during the 1970s and early 1980s, over the entire 52-year span, each conference won 26 games.

The BCS era now covers the past twelve games, starting with the 1999 (85th) Rose Bowl. Since then, of the eight games featuring a Big Ten-Pac-10 matchup, the Pac-10 leads in wins, 5-3, with Wisconsin winning for the Big Ten in 1999 and 2000 and Ohio State in 2010. However, the 2007 (93rd) Rose Bowl and 2008 (94th) Rose Bowl, each Big Ten losses to the Pac-10, actually featured the Big Ten runner-up, as conference champion Ohio State was selected to play each of those years in the BCS National Championship Game."

Tradition. I was born in 69 and as I said I grew up watching the Hawks, why, because my family did. So anyone in the big ten thats older than 30 remembers that rivalry, that was our big stage not school against school but conf against conf. our best against yours. You have to remember prior to the BCS, National Titles were highly disputed amongst conferences and writers ect., so many years you would have several teams claiming that title. I was once asked why the rose bowl whats your big thing with that? I just KNEW it, cause my family told me so. It was born into me, and I would venture to guess many other fans in the B10. Now days we want to keep that rivalry going AND pick a fight with an sec team in another BCS bowl game. So when NU gets to a Rose Bowl you will have the FULL support of every B10 member and atleast us older fans that remember what daddy told us when we were 2 or 3 watching the rose bowl on a black and white tv with no remote (Huh emagine that) :)