Big10 Hockey

Wolvie3758

Any chance Nebraska will field a Div 1 Hockey team in the future?? I know Penn State is adding it...Last Night 113,000 watched Michigan-MSU in the "Big Chill at the Big House

and it was AMAZING...heres a link to the photos...Absolutely stunning event last night...I know UNO has a team but anybody know if UNL will field one..It appears with the addition of Penn St the B10 is going to form a B10 Hockey conference...

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/images-from-the-big-chill-at-the-big-house-hockey-game-at-michigan-stadium/

check out the photos truly amazin

Univ Nebraska-Omaha has built a pretty solid program that just recently joined the WCHA.

I can't see UNL building one but I could be wrong.

I didn't think there was a Big10 in hockey. Isn't it the CCHA?

...and hockey talk thread on huskerboard will last all of 1 more thread.......if you post in it again.

Univ Nebraska-Omaha has built a pretty solid program that just recently joined the WCHA.

I can't see UNL building one but I could be wrong.

I didn't think there was a Big10 in hockey. Isn't it the CCHA?

...and hockey talk thread on huskerboard will last all of 1 more thread.......if you post in it again.

Right Now UM, MSU, OSU are in the CCHA and Minny and Wis are in the WCHA....with Penn St adding Div 1 Hockey that gives the B10 enough

teams to field a Conference so most people in the know say that will happen in the next year or two..At Michigan Hockey actually is a revenue

producing sport..They sell out every game at Yost which is considered the best venue in college hockey..It would Be GREAT if the huskers

added Hockey..I mean Nebraska seems like it would br hockey state..UNO is good...Im really hoping UNL adds it..I guess you probably have to have a club team

first..I dont know if UNL has that....Michigan is adding Lacrosse in the near future..Our club team has won the National title 3 yrs running so they

are going Div 1 in the next year or two it appears..was hoping Neb had a club hockey team that could be elevated

I live in Denver and am a Univ of Denver alum so I love WCHA hockey. Hockey is the biggest revenue drawing sport at DU.

I knew that Wiscy and Minny were there. It would seem odd to me to pull them out of the WCHA. All of the other Minny schools are in the WCHA. That being said the WCHA did just add 2 teams (UNO being one of them. Maybe it was bc/ they knew they would lose the B10 schools?

There is a husker club team. They watched the NU/Kansas game with us at the Fox and Hound in South Denver on their way to a game in Colorado Springs.

I think you could use this thread as a show of interest in hockey at NU.

I live in Denver and am a Univ of Denver alum so I love WCHA hockey. Hockey is the biggest revenue drawing sport at DU.

I knew that Wiscy and Minny were there. It would seem odd to me to pull them out of the WCHA. All of the other Minny schools are in the WCHA. That being said the WCHA did just add 2 teams (UNO being one of them. Maybe it was bc/ they knew they would lose the B10 schools?

There is a husker club team. They watched the NU/Kansas game with us at the Fox and Hound in South Denver on their way to a game in Colorado Springs.

its all about $$$$$ with the BTN a B10 Hockey conference is almost all but certain in the nxt few years...they are also talking about adding Notre Dame

for Hockey Only if they form the B10 Hockey Conference ...I think if that happens it might be a subtle way to get Notre Dame into the B10..u know

baby steps ....I could care less if ND joins or not personally..now that Nebraska has joined Im satisfied with the B10

its all about $$$$$ with the BTN a B10 Hockey conference is almost all but certain in the nxt few years...they are also talking about adding Notre Dame

for Hockey Only if they form the B10 Hockey Conference ...I think if that happens it might be a subtle way to get Notre Dame into the B10..u know

baby steps ....I could care less if ND joins or not personally..now that Nebraska has joined Im satisfied with the B10

That all makes sense re: BTN and $. ND is really good at hockey too.

We'll see what happens. I'd like an NU team but I'd still have to cheer for the Pioneers first. (I think- that would be weird).

I thought I remember reading about the plans for the new arena being designed closer and not big enough for ice.

Big10 hockey would be fun. I would support it.

It would be a mistake to build a brand new arena without the flexibility to put in a rink. Even if there was no hockey in the Lincoln/ Omaha area, you'd think the future option would have to be looked at.

I thought I remember reading about the plans for the new arena being designed closer and not big enough for ice.

Big10 hockey would be fun. I would support it.

After going to Yost and watching Big Time College Hockey I was hooked!!! the atmosphere is electric.

really hoping Nebraska adds it...It just seems Like a good match!....Penn St adding it is a great sign

and Im hoping more B10 schools add it..113,000 for a outdoor game is almost incomprehensible

to me and after watching it Live yesterday, reading all the blog reports and seeing the pics

It was a Huge success and they made a Ton of money off it

I would highly doubt that ND gets added as a hockey-only affiliate to the Big Ten.

The BTHC is likely to materialize within the next 5 years after Penn State's program is fully operational and has a bit of experience under its belt, but the Big Ten's presidents were hesitant in the past to add hockey-only affiliates and could never agree on whether to create a BTHC with the 5 other hockey members and ND or a mix of Miami (Ohio) and others...

They decided to push off the decision based on tradition, since unlike the Pac-10, which has affiliate members for sports such as the Olympic sports, the Big Ten presidents have never been able to reach agreement on allowing affiliate members; several of the members are extremely hesitant due to tradition-based reasons.

Now that Penn State will be a potential 6th member, enough for a BTHC, I'd expect the presidents to simply bypass that contentious issue and create a 6 member BTHC that allows enough non-conference games to allow the CCHA and WCHA to continue to receive visits from the marquee Big Ten teams.

Finally, a BTHC will possibly put pressure on Notre Dame to eventually consider it to be a major plus to joining the Big Ten. Notre Dame is building a brand new, expensive arena that has a much higher capacity, so they will need visits from the Big Ten teams in order to sell their season ticket package. Obviously, a CCHA devoid of Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State may play a secondary role in convincing Notre Dame to eventually join the Big Ten, since their hockey program may struggle without it, and hockey is perhaps the 3rd most important program there even though it is a distant 3rd...

I would highly doubt that ND gets added as a hockey-only affiliate to the Big Ten.

The BTHC is likely to materialize within the next 5 years after Penn State's program is fully operational and has a bit of experience under its belt, but the Big Ten's presidents were hesitant in the past to add hockey-only affiliates and could never agree on whether to create a BTHC with the 5 other hockey members and ND or a mix of Miami (Ohio) and others...

They decided to push off the decision based on tradition, since unlike the Pac-10, which has affiliate members for sports such as the Olympic sports, the Big Ten presidents have never been able to reach agreement on allowing affiliate members; several of the members are extremely hesitant due to tradition-based reasons.

Now that Penn State will be a potential 6th member, enough for a BTHC, I'd expect the presidents to simply bypass that contentious issue and create a 6 member BTHC that allows enough non-conference games to allow the CCHA and WCHA to continue to receive visits from the marquee Big Ten teams.

Finally, a BTHC will possibly put pressure on Notre Dame to eventually consider it to be a major plus to joining the Big Ten. Notre Dame is building a brand new, expensive arena that has a much higher capacity, so they will need visits from the Big Ten teams in order to sell their season ticket package. Obviously, a CCHA devoid of Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State may play a secondary role in convincing Notre Dame to eventually join the Big Ten, since their hockey program may struggle without it, and hockey is perhaps the 3rd most important program there even though it is a distant 3rd...

Zeek, I agree with much of what you say EXCEPT the time Line..I think it will be Much sooner...say 2 MAYBE 3 yrs max