Deja Vu

walksalone

We're going to spank Washington again and again we'll all be wondering where the offense was towards the end of conference play. It wont be because of Watson's play calling or anything like that, it will be because Washington stinks. If they some how make it close and our offense sputters, then Watson will have more explaining to do, just not to us fans. Right now, there is something wrong with our offense if a single player getting injured can cause it to come to a screeching halt. If Watson can only work with one player at a time then he's not a good OC and we can his a$$. The whole offense shouldn't be based on a single player as it seems to be now, it should be based around the team starting with the QB and his backups.

This is my main problem with Watson, he can't seem to get anyone else up for the game if that 1 player he rests his laurels on goes down with an injury.

It's always something, isn't it? Other than 2008 with Ganz what good offense has Shawn Watson coached? Pelini took a terrible defense and turned it into one that looks like it will be one of the nations best year in and year out. He did that despite injuries, despite not having his own players, despite having a poor offense on the other side of the ball. That's what good coaches do.

You are correct, though. Ultimately, it's Bo's responsibility. The blame will eventually fall on his head. But hey . . . if you want to defend drop back passing in a 3rd and 2 situation with a run first QB, you go ahead and do that.

But none of the things I brought up are excuses. There is just a whole litany of things that could have been handled better about the offense and Watson is certainly responsible for some of them. And some pretty major decisions that affected the offense a lot, others (well, Bo) are responsible for. It is fair to lay blame where it's due, so why avoid any of that when it doesn't point to the guy you want it to point to?

On other good offenses Shawn Watson has coached, I would say this year and 2007, I guess.

On the 3rd and 2, though, you are going to have a problem with everyone if that's what you are unhappy about. 3rd and 2/3 is just a fairly high percentage pass situation. Exactly how much we have done it I don't know, could be from 40 to 60% I guess. This is generally true about 3rd and short (beyond QB sneak distance). You guys treat the pass and run games like they are mortal enemies or philosophically incompatible something, instead of complements. The 40-to-60% of them that we run it in these situations, the conversion rate is made that much higher because of the threat to pass. Similarly, the equivalent 40-to-60% of the time we make a short easy throw here, those are plays that we have a good chance on because defenses have to worry about loading up to stop the run.

I also find there's been a lot of over-dramatization of 3rd and short situations. Could go back and look for it, but someone on Rivals posted a pretty long list of plays off the top of his head of 3rd and short passes that worked. And I've seen several instances of people massaging their memories to reduce a few yards and refer to say, 3rd and 6's as 3rd and 3's or in one case, 3rd and goal from the 10 as 3rd and short. Not saying this is what you are doing, but in general I think this argument is overblown, and something that isn't likely to change. So when people rip the new OC for calling a pass on 3rd and short, I'll continue to argue with this point. Not really about Watson anymore.

The bit about the running QB - similarly, that is the whole reason a raw passer like Taylor has been able to find success through the air this year (excepting the times he gets fazed and out of the loop). He brings a huge running threat on the ground and it opens up the pass. 3rd and 2 makes not defending the run very dangerous and it opens up the pass for us, which again opens up the run, etc.

Right now, there is something wrong with our offense if a single player getting injured can cause it to come to a screeching halt. If Watson can only work with one player at a time then he's not a good OC and we can his a$$. The whole offense shouldn't be based on a single player as it seems to be now, it should be based around the team starting with the QB and his backups.

I don't know how much of an argument you can make about an offense not being based a lot on the play of the quarterback: the guy that gets the ball almost every snap of the game, is responsible for reading defenses pre-snap and making adjustments based on what he sees, and runs all the plays. I do agree though that it was not a great idea to key the entire offense around one guy when he backups did not have similar skillsets, and when he was so streaky to begin with. It was Bo's call however, to shape it this way and put the offense entirely in Taylor's hands and rest everything on his big-play capability, which was a skill he regarded as a trump card to everything else.

Quarterbacks affect every part of an offense's play even on plays they aren't directly involved in. They aren't a utility player that can be subbed in and out, they are the commanders in the huddle and the generals on the field. A lot of their effects are more invisible (whether from a leadership standpoint or more concretely, making the right adjustments when they see a blitz coming or a certain coverage), which is why IMO it's hard to help an offense living or dying with the play of their QB. And honestly riding Taylor's home run ability worked out pretty well, but it is a decision that can be open up to criticism, I agree.

When you have to morph the offense to send a backup in, I think that's generally not going to give a lot of good results for when you do need the backup. Another thing that hurt us though was we didn't really see this a lot anyways, as Green was being asked to do the same things Taylor was instead of changing the O to play to his, different, strengths. Now someone can correct me if I'm wrong as this is hearsay, but I believe that was Bo being stubborn and even read somewhere that Green went to the coaches with what he believed were his strengths, but Bo didn't want any of it. Until Colorado.

I was just perusing some of the Watson threads, and something occured to me.

Weren't we essentially at the same point we were last year? For the most part b*tching about Watson's playcalling ability, and the fact that we lost a Big XII title game we should have won.

So, we're left to lament about our offensive situation for almost a month, and then oddly enough, we're going to the Holiday Bowl (again).

Are we going to see a completely different Watson, who's play calling is going to look nothing like it did previously this year?

if he calls a great game and we score at will, he will be back to piss us off again next year..count on it.

We were really on pace for some incredible offensive numbers before Taylor and Zac both got knocked out in the same week. You can call that excuses, or you can call that the reality for many teams that have to run with QB3.

Your honor I bring into evidence South Dakota State and Texas.

I, too, am tired of the excuses, it is time for SOMETHING to change. Seeing his past performances, I have come to the conclusion that Watson is not the OC to get us to the next level.

funny how the wildcat was never used BEFORE TM was hurt, seems the old one deminsional zone read was all Wats could think of, and that just sucks, knowing someone will defense it and you have no answer or Plan B.

The wildcat wasn't used before Taylor was hurt because it is a lot more one dimensional and a lot less explosive than the Wildcat with a healthy Taylor at the helm. We only had to bring it in when we couldn't count on Taylor to deliver with it. As far as history of the Wildcat goes, I believe we had it installed all last year but Bo didn't want to use it, thought it was too gimmicky. It is a good thing he finally gave it a shot, as Rex is a baller.

Watson does what Bo tells him to do. So whatever finger you point at him you can point right at Bo.

And you've sat in on how many coaches meetings? Listened to how many of Bo and Wats' personal conversations? Read how many of their emails?

Last I checked, we knew Bo wanted a different offense - obviously Wats agreed to do it. As to who plays/what plays are called/etc., I'm interested in knowing how you found out Bo makes all these decisions...

Apparently we don't need Shawn Watson anymore because Bo is really our offensive coordinator. I cringe everytime someone who thinks their 'in the know' talks about what 'Bo wants' on offense.

I love this place but it gets pretty deep around here sometimes. I guess it's par for the course with a football/Husker related message board.

On other good offenses Shawn Watson has coached, I would say this year and 2007, I guess.

Billy C called the plays for most of 2007. IIRC Wats called 1 game or half a game, or maybe 1 1/2 games, I can't remember off the top of my head.

This is a great point. You only really have 2008, 2009, 2010 to look at.

So people can stop pointing to Watson's Colorado years and saying he has only ever called average offenses. In fact, in 2007 when Watson called half a game or whatever, since Callahan was the scapegoat/message board enemey no.1 of the day, people praised his playcalling to no end and said only when Callahan's ego got into the way and he took back the reigns, did he "go away from what was working" and send us back into the gutter.

A lot of people's problems have to do with playcalling but I really think people will always have problems with anyone who ever calls plays, no matter what his name is. When we have a new OC, it is going to be the same thing. Same arguments, same catchlines, that are always going to be around. The only thing that chances is the target. It isn't always going to be a valid criticism to throw around.

Apparently we don't need Shawn Watson anymore because Bo is really our offensive coordinator. I cringe everytime someone who thinks their 'in the know' talks about what 'Bo wants' on offense.

Eh, Bo has a lot of say in the offense and specifically in who plays quarterback, but it's his right as Head Coach and it sort of should be, you know? he's head coach, not DC, an he should have this kind of control over the whole team. IMO. If our offense was a lot more successful this year, Bo would be gathering endless praise for the call on Taylor, which would be well merited. Do you have any reason not to believe that, or are you just hoping it isn't true because it wouldn't suit the SW angle you are looking for?

Billy C called the plays for most of 2007. IIRC Wats called 1 game or half a game, or maybe 1 1/2 games, I can't remember off the top of my head.

This is a great point. You only really have 2008, 2009, 2010 to look at.

So people can stop pointing to Watson's Colorado years and saying he has only ever called average offenses. In fact, in 2007 when Watson called half a game or whatever, since Callahan was the scapegoat/message board enemey no.1 of the day, people praised his playcalling to no end and said only when Callahan's ego got into the way and he took back the reigns, did he "go away from what was working" and send us back into the gutter.

A lot of people's problems have to do with playcalling but I really think people will always have problems with anyone who ever calls plays, no matter what his name is. When we have a new OC, it is going to be the same thing. Same arguments, same catchlines, that are always going to be around. The only thing that chances is the target. It isn't always going to be a valid criticism to throw around.

Eh, Bo has a lot of say in the offense and specifically in who plays quarterback, but it's his right as Head Coach and it sort of should be, you know? he's head coach, not DC, an he should have this kind of control over the whole team. IMO. If our offense was a lot more successful this year, Bo would be gathering endless praise for the call on Taylor, which would be well merited. Do you have any reason not to believe that, or are you just hoping it isn't true because it wouldn't suit the SW angle you are looking for?

Just wondering what reason you have to beleive that Watson not calling the plays or deciding who the qb is this year? Last year Watson had no problem stating in the paper that what Nebraska was running was not what he wanted to run and how he had to hold back on play calling and how that hurt him.

I'm guessing he hasn't turned to timid this year that he wouldn't be defelecting the heat off himself if he wasnt the one calling the plays and deciding the qb. Sounds like it the other way and your trying to deflect some of the heat onto Bo.

Im also guessing that if the Offense was successful this year that Watson would be using it as a positive when he's interviewing for all these HC jobs.

Once again I'm pretty sure you or anyone else on this board does not know exactly what or just how much say Bo has as far as our offense is concerned. This is an undisputable fact. Ultimately Shawn Watson was hired to be our offensive coordinator and I'm pretty sure Bo primarily let's him do just that.

The wildcat wasn't used before Taylor was hurt because it is a lot more one dimensional and a lot less explosive than the Wildcat with a healthy Taylor at the helm. We only had to bring it in when we couldn't count on Taylor to deliver with it. As far as history of the Wildcat goes, I believe we had it installed all last year but Bo didn't want to use it, thought it was too gimmicky. It is a good thing he finally gave it a shot, as Rex is a baller.

Source? Link of ANY kind?

How convenient to blame all the offensive inadequacies on Bo. Now that Bo is obviously OK with running the wildcat . . . is it still his fault that it isn't used more often?

Mark my words, bookmark my post, etc. We WILL be having this same conversation next year. And the year after. And EVERY year until Watson moves on or is forced out. I gave him a chance. My patience with him is exhausted.

First of all, sorry for starting the umpteenth post about SW.

But unless there is a change, and I do think that needs to happen, this conversation is going to keep on continuing. As for what he does in the bowl game this year, it doesn't really matter. I think our offensive playcalling could be lackluster, and we're still going to beat the ass off of UW.

What does matter is September 3rd, 2011. We are going to have to have our sh*t seriously together. With this being the first year in the "Big 10", we need to be on point.

Source? Link of ANY kind?

How convenient to blame all the offensive inadequacies on Bo. Now that Bo is obviously OK with running the wildcat . . . is it still his fault that it isn't used more often?

Only one of us is really trying to blame anyone here. I love Bo and am not calling for his head. As I maybe should have emphasized more earlier, I'm not too confident about the Wildcat story. I only think that's the case, and I forget where I read it. I can understand your skepticism, but the point is that Bo did keep the lid on the offense in the second half of the year last year, limiting the yards and stylepoints to an extent, a call which I think was the *right* one.

Is it his fault that the Wildcat not used more often? Don't really know. You are talking about one or two games. I think the A&M game saw it underused for sure. The Oklahoma game, it was used quite frequently. The only reason it needed to be used more is because our actual quarterback completely shut down. I think we blew some big opportunities by calling Taylor's number instead of Rex's a few times late in the 4th, but I also think in fairness, that when your QB is completely ineffective you are kind of screwed to begin with.

I'd add that someone obviously did not think Taylor was being completely ineffective, or we would have seen Cody in there. I criticize that call but hey, if we had won with Taylor, there wouldn't be much for me to say.

Once again I'm pretty sure you or anyone else on this board does not know exactly what or just how much say Bo has as far as our offense is concerned. This is an undisputable fact. Ultimately Shawn Watson was hired to be our offensive coordinator and I'm pretty sure Bo primarily let's him do just that.

I don't know, first hand, for sure, but you don't either and you are relying on a pure assumption at the end there. I am relying on people who could be wrong, to be fair.

Just wondering what reason you have to beleive that Watson not calling the plays or deciding who the qb is this year?

Watson calls the plays. Bo is probably a huge part of why Taylor is still even with the team. I'm not inclined to believe that or anything since I love Bo, it is just what I have heard and read. Take it for what it's worth, but don't dismiss it just because it would make it harder to bash on Watson otherwise.

If we clean house and hand a new guy the reigns on offense completely, depending on who that guy is, it could turn out very well. If we lose Watson but just promote a guy from within, and plug in some former players or grad assistants to fill the vacant position coaching spots, it is hard to imagine anything changing, at all, especially in the long term. Unfortunately, because Watson is on so many people's crap lists, there isn't any difference in either of these scenarios to some.