Watson a candidate for the Miami(OH) head coach position

C N Red

I don't get where people are saying that we overhauled the offense midway through fall camp. It seemed that the offense was headed in the spread option direction since the Holiday Bowl, and coaches have said it was headed in that direction even before that, but injuries prevented us from progressing. So, what's all this "we had to overhaul the offense midway through fall camp?" I understand if we limited the playbook somewhat for Taylor, but the zone read game was in place already, I don't think the basic philosophy of our offense really changed. We knew before this season that Bo wanted our QBs to run the ball, to make the defense account for all 11 players. I don't know, let me know if I missed some article where they stated they had to overhaul the offense midway through fall camp, but I've never heard anything of that nature except randomly on this board.

There is a difference between running the zone read, and handing off the ball out of the shotgun. The past couple of years most of our plays that looked like a zone read, were actually a designed QB or RB run. The same thing is true with Cody or Zac in the game, and the same thing was true for the most part after Taylor got injured.

So a lot of times when fans are saying things like he should have kept or given the ball, it actually was called that way, it wasn't the wrong read.

I understand the difference between the zone read and a designed handoff. I just don't follow where people (mainly zoogies, I think) are saying that our offense was overhauled in the middle of fall camp.

We threw out approximately 50-60% of our playbook to get Taylor up to speed once he was chosen as our starting quarterback towards the end of fall camp. This required Cotton reworking some of the line techniques and basically eliminated Mike McNeill's senior season. Do you really think they moved him to WR to catch a total of 18 balls? Remember how Trey Robinson was going to be a factor in the offense?

We were going to be closer to our 2008 offense, with a little more QB run mixed in. We threw the ball 433 times in 2008, 364 times in 2009 (after which we talked about the need to be more multiple), then have followed it up with 261 throws thusfar in 2010, heck we COMPLETED more passes in 2008 (295) then will be attempted this year.

I don't get where people are saying that we overhauled the offense midway through fall camp. It seemed that the offense was headed in the spread option direction since the Holiday Bowl, and coaches have said it was headed in that direction even before that, but injuries prevented us from progressing. So, what's all this "we had to overhaul the offense midway through fall camp?" I understand if we limited the playbook somewhat for Taylor, but the zone read game was in place already, I don't think the basic philosophy of our offense really changed. We knew before this season that Bo wanted our QBs to run the ball, to make the defense account for all 11 players. I don't know, let me know if I missed some article where they stated they had to overhaul the offense midway through fall camp, but I've never heard anything of that nature except randomly on this board.

There is a difference between running the zone read, and handing off the ball out of the shotgun. The past couple of years most of our plays that looked like a zone read, were actually a designed QB or RB run. The same thing is true with Cody or Zac in the game, and the same thing was true for the most part after Taylor got injured.

So a lot of times when fans are saying things like he should have kept or given the ball, it actually was called that way, it wasn't the wrong read.

I understand the difference between the zone read and a designed handoff. I just don't follow where people (mainly zoogies, I think) are saying that our offense was overhauled in the middle of fall camp.

Don't know if overhaul is the best word for it, but a lot of changes were made to better fit T-Mart's skill set.

Forgive if this has been mentioned before, but it's worth mentioning again amid this whole mess with Watson and what we'll see in the weeks/months to come.

I don't think Watson gets along at all with Martinez (when was the last time you saw communication between those two?), and I don't think Ganz has really got along with Martinez either. Their poor, near non-existent working relationship has hurt Martinez growth as a QB just as much as his injuries. That might be Watson's fault, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly Martinez' fault. And guess what, Martinez is Bo's guy.

My guess is that Bo sees this poor relationship between his QB and his OC as the last straw for...you guessed it, Watson. There's a reason the door is wide open for Watson to take another job, and IMO this is a huge contributing factor.

The OKState OC Dana H. Got picked up for a head coaching postion after being an OC for ONE SEASON with them ...and our OC is begging to coach Miami (OH) and probably wont get it...enough said

I'm sure his 7 years under Leach at Texas Tech as a WR coach, then co-oc and the oc titles, 2 years with an explosive offense at Houston then going to Oklahoma State had nothing to do with it. It was all about this year, right? :facepalm:

We threw out approximately 50-60% of our playbook to get Taylor up to speed once he was chosen as our starting quarterback towards the end of fall camp. This required Cotton reworking some of the line techniques and basically eliminated Mike McNeill's senior season. Do you really think they moved him to WR to catch a total of 18 balls? Remember how Trey Robinson was going to be a factor in the offense?

We were going to be closer to our 2008 offense, with a little more QB run mixed in. We threw the ball 433 times in 2008, 364 times in 2009 (after which we talked about the need to be more multiple), then have followed it up with 261 throws thusfar in 2010, heck we COMPLETED more passes in 2008 (295) then will be attempted this year.

Like I said, I understand limiting the playbook. But that shouldn't change your offensive philosophy. Everything you do should be built from that philosophy, even if it's just 20 plays. Limiting the playbook shouldn't alter your identity. If it does, then something is wrong with the system you're trying to run.

And I thought the plan was to move to a more ground based attack all along this year, not to become more "multiple" aka pass more than we did in 2009. At no point did I understand our offensive evolution to be moving towards our 2008 scheme. I've felt like from the middle of 2009, we've been on a pretty steady move away from that philosophy towards a spread option attack, which is what we certainly showcased in the Holiday Bowl last year (except our QB couldn't run, so we used the wildcat).

And why in the world would Cotton have to rework line techniques just because we limited the playbook? I think every year that Mike McNeill has been here, they've said he would get the ball more at the beginning of the season, and then that hasn't happened, so that's nothing new.

Anyways, still don't get it.

Forgive if this has been mentioned before, but it's worth mentioning again amid this whole mess with Watson and what we'll see in the weeks/months to come.

I don't think Watson gets along at all with Martinez (when was the last time you saw communication between those two?), and I don't think Ganz has really got along with Martinez either. Their poor, near non-existent working relationship has hurt Martinez growth as a QB just as much as his injuries. That might be Watson's fault, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly Martinez' fault. And guess what, Martinez is Bo's guy.

My guess is that Bo sees this poor relationship between his QB and his OC as the last straw for...you guessed it, Watson. There's a reason the door is wide open for Watson to take another job, and IMO this is a huge contributing factor.

The door was open after 2008 when he flirted with Alabama, it was open last year when the was looking for a HC job. Watson is looking because he wants to, not because he's being forced out.

ESPY:

vince-young-hurt.jpg ?

Not sure if that's what you are getting at. Don't know abou the accuracy of all of that - it's pretty loaded.

Like I said, I understand limiting the playbook. But that shouldn't change your offensive philosophy. Everything you do should be built from that philosophy, even if it's just 20 plays. Limiting the playbook shouldn't alter your identity. If it does, then something is wrong with the system you're trying to run.

Well, the thing is, with Taylor the philosophy is more or less "Ride those big plays, and hope they are worth the inconsistencies/rawness." Because there's no choice. What I am getting at with the fall camp talk mostly is this: the criteria for "What a QB has to do for us" changed a lot, which is how Taylor ended up as the starter. He showed some stuff for sure, and effected the criteria change, which I guess you can say is to his credit.

And why in the world would Cotton have to rework line techniques just because we limited the playbook? I think every year that Mike McNeill has been here, they've said he would get the ball more at the beginning of the season, and then that hasn't happened, so that's nothing new.

McNeil is a sad story for me. A guy that has been nothing but reliable for us in the passing game broke out in 2008. 2009 was hampered by Zac Lee's arm and the conservative offense post Iowa State. 2010 was hampered by design. Although I think his WR move predated Taylor's magical ascension. Really not sure what was happening there. I am very glad we tried to get him more involved in the end, against OU. But running the ball 70% of the time is just going to cut into all your receiving playmakers' opportunities, unfortunately.

I think your on to something. When Martinez was not in the game did anybody else notice that he never had a headset on like Green and Lee do. He is never in any offensive huddle on the sidelines like Green and Lee are. He just stands their looking like he wishes the game to be over with. He never shows any emotion unless its a Mutumbo "no no" finger after scoring a TD. This bothers me somewhat. Zac Lee/Joe Ganz didnt have the athletic ability that Martinez has been able show us at times, but those guys showed a lot of emotion and were the leaders of the offense no matter how effective or ineffective they were.

Watsons response to this...."Thats just Taylor." Really????

And I thought the plan was to move to a more ground based attack all along this year, not to become more "multiple" aka pass more than we did in 2009. At no point did I understand our offensive evolution to be moving towards our 2008 scheme. I've felt like from the middle of 2009, we've been on a pretty steady move away from that philosophy towards a spread option attack, which is what we certainly showcased in the Holiday Bowl last year (except our QB couldn't run, so we used the wildcat).

Our offensive philosophy was balance heading into fall camp, we ended up running the ball 70% of the time. Our line was spending plenty of time in pass protection, and less time learning techniques for blocking on Zone Read type plays, once the switch at QB was made, we tweaked our line splits, changed our pass protection schemes and had to work more on blocking for the zone read assignments.

McNeill was a weapon in 2008, he didn't catch as many balls in 2009, but he was the #2 option behind Paul in the passing scheme, this year he was literally our 4th option on most plays if even in the progressions. He was pissed this year because Taylor rarely made it to him in his progressions, and his future of a NFL career was basically pissed away because he is now labelled as too small to be a TE and too slow to be a WR.

I think your on to something. When Martinez was not in the game did anybody else notice that he never had a headset on like Green and Lee do. He is never in any offensive huddle on the sidelines like Green and Lee are. He just stands their looking like he wishes the game to be over with. He never shows any emotion unless its a Mutumbo "no no" finger after scoring a TD. This bothers me somewhat. Zac Lee/Joe Ganz didnt have the athletic ability that Martinez has been able show us at times, but those guys showed a lot of emotion and were the leaders of the offense no matter how effective or ineffective they were.

Watson himself publicly refuted this. He said straight up that he asked Martinez to simply watch the game and observe, and said that criticism of Martinez's sideline demeanor was uncalled for.

Watsons response to this...."Thats just Taylor." Really????

That is Taylor, that's the way he acted on the sidelines in high school also, it's typical behavior from a kid who bounced from high school to high school, then to college thrust into the spotlight who plays for the approval\happiness of his father.

Our offensive philosophy was balance heading into fall camp, we ended up running the ball 70% of the time. Our line was spending plenty of time in pass protection, and less time learning techniques for blocking on Zone Read type plays, once the switch at QB was made, we tweaked our line splits, changed our pass protection schemes and had to work more on blocking for the zone read assignments.

McNeill was a weapon in 2008, he didn't catch as many balls in 2009, but he was the #2 option behind Paul in the passing scheme, this year he was literally our 4th option on most plays if even in the progressions. He was pissed this year because Taylor rarely made it to him in his progressions, and his future of a NFL career was basically pissed away because he is now labelled as too small to be a TE and too slow to be a WR.

I remember in the Idaho game where Taylor threw a pass to McNeill that bounced about 5 yards in front of him. Lets just say Mike was not happy about it, he threw is arms up in disgust after the play. Then he went over and let his frustration out on Bo and Barney, I believe their was quite a heated exchange between the 3.