Watson a candidate for the Miami(OH) head coach position

C N Red

Eh. Maybe Watson will thrive as a Head Coach in the right place. Look at Craig Bohl - the guy STUNK as our DC, and we couldn't get rid of him fast enough. He moves on to NDSU and has winning season seven out of eight years, including two 10-1 seasons and a conference title. It's not that Watson is evil or the bad guy, it's that he simply doesn't seem to fit in to the culture/system that Bo wants to run. We gave it a go, we kept him for continuity, and now it's time for him to move on.

I think so often in these conversations we all try to go to such great lengths to prove our points that it seems like people are wholly polarized, and at least in my situation, that's not the case. I'm 51% in favor of Watson moving on. That 49% encompasses the disaster our next OC could be, the fact that there are valid extenuating circumstances that could explain some of Watson's struggles, and the fact that on occasion Watson's offenses have produced big numbers. If he stays I'll be OK with it, but my preference is that he goes.

Big, big difference in coaching down a level versus coaching at this level. Although I know you were using the most convenient example, it wasn't the best.

But the thing is, all these points in the world can be made against Watson, but the simple reality is alot of folks believe in his abilities. Numerous schools and people at this university have shown belief in him (i.e., Pelini, Osborne, Callahan) who all know a thing or two. ;)

But really, I do not think it will matter who we put into the OC position. Until we put in an OL coach who fully understands the blocking schemes needed to make our new offense work, then it doesn't really matter. We will continue to be a I-formation blocking team running the spread option.

Would somebody please go spraypaint this on the wall outside the North Stadium office entrance. (I don't think a mere email would be loud enough.)

My daily stop at MiamiHawkTalk.com

Couple of things-Addazio is out, as he has supposedly taken the Texas OL job.

They seem to be checking private planes landing in or around Oxford OH.

Incase you wanna know 4 private planes left Lincoln this afternoon, dont know if any were headed east.

Watson and Fickell are the finalists according to that Dienhart guy.

Apparently we pay our coaches in bushels of corn, but they have more soy beans so its all good.

Some think theirs a going to be announcement at halftime of their BBall game tonight. Supposedly saw ESPN trucks in the area.

Lastly everybody thats has posted in this thread is a little more famous now that they have posted a link to this very thread on their coaching search thread.

Here is their messageboard if anybody wants to check it out.

http://www.miamihawktalk.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=52583&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=275

knapplc has made some tremendous points about Watson's work as QB coach. To that end, I've caught wind of an interesting development that also just so happens to support knapplc's remarks about the door being wide open for Watson to get a job elsewhere.

The interesting development is that Watson is no longer the QB coach. The reigns have been handed to Tim Beck. Clearly this offense is beginning to head in a different direction with Wats no longer coaching the QBs.

Oh and another tidbit I've heard (and many of you will like this) - Ted Gilmore is on his way out. Most likely the bowl game will be his last as a coach on this staff.

Thank you God!!!

That's "TWO" priceless gifts.

Yeah, lets hope that we get some different coaches that help us win 10 games each year, Oh!! wait thats not good enough any more. We only want coaches that win them all. :facepalm:

Watch out Bo you could be next. :sarcasm

GBR!!!

Great point!

Let's just continue to lose three or four games a year even with a NC quality defense and FG kicker due to an offense that hibernates vs any decent defense. Or heck, even vs powerhouse defenses like Kansas & SDSU.

Of course, if the defense ever plays even close to "average" we'll lose six or seven games a year. But so what? Why change anything??

My daily stop at MiamiHawkTalk.com

Couple of things-Addazio is out, as he has supposedly taken the Texas OL job.

They seem to be checking private planes landing in or around Oxford OH.

Incase you wanna know 4 private planes left Lincoln this afternoon, dont know if any were headed east.

Watson and Fickell are the finalists according to that Dienhart guy.

Apparently we pay our coaches in bushels of corn, but they have more soy beans so its all good.

Some think theirs a going to be announcement at halftime of their BBall game tonight. Supposedly saw ESPN trucks in the area.

Lastly everybody thats has posted in this thread is a little more famous now that they have posted a link to this very thread on their coaching search thread.

Here is their messageboard if anybody wants to check it out.

http://www.miamihawktalk.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=52583&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=275

I wish I got paid in bushels of corn. If I was, at the price corn has been for the past few years I would be rich!! Hell, don't have to pay for the seed, fert, irrigation, harvesting, etc, and just have to trade in the bushels? That would be awesome!!

Apparently, a kid's high school stats - instead of the story behind a kid's skillset, or his video - tells anyone everything they need to know about what he can or can't do. dry.gif

I do not know how anyone can characterize '09 to '10 as neutral, seems there is a lot of focus on a few tough games, mostly due to injury. I hope people will give the next OC a lot more rope than they did Watson. Not being a "Callahan guy" will probably help the next guy quite a bit, I suspect.

I see the anti-Watson crowd doesn't have a monopoly on hyperbole. You're mischaracterizing my statement about Green and his high school numbers. ;)

The problem is that you want to give Watson a pass because of injuries, ignoring the fact that, especially in 2010, we've suffered some pretty key injuries on defense, yet the defense continues to play at a high level. We lost both starting linebackers just before the season, we lost Ciante Evans and Fonzie Dennard for a game or two each, we lost Stache for a half or two, and yet we haven't seen that crazy drop-off on Defense like we've seen on Offense. We've had more injuries preventing guys from playing on Defense than Offense, yet the results are what they are.

I get that you have this propensity to hitch your wagon to a guy and stick with him, zoogies, and the loyalty is admirable. I think you're your own worst enemy when it comes to Watson support, however, because I think the general feeling toward Watson isn't nearly as full of rancor as it seems - but in the face of implacable support for a coach not getting it done, those pointing out flaws are forced to go to ever greater lengths to prove their point. Perhaps had you given in a smidge, the Watson threads would have been less.

Still, it has given us something to talk about. And that's the whole point of the board.

More injuries on defense?

We had Mike Smith go down in pre-season, Sirles got dinged a few times, Keith Williams was a shell of a player in the CCG, Caputo played dinged up, Henry got dinged up, Marcel Jones mised a ton of time, Taylor Martinez obviously was hurt, Zac Lee got hurt, Cody Green had a concussion during the ISU game, Helu got hurt a couple of times, Burkhead was playing hurt a good chunk of the year, Gilleylen had problems with injuries, Paul with the broken foot.

The offense had plenty of it's share of injuries, in fact after the MU game our offense was 6th in the country in Rushing Offense with 295 YPG, 17th in total offense with 458.50 YPG, 12th in scoring average with 38 PPG.

At that point we had the 13th and 20th best rushers in YPG, we had Martinez 12th in the country in passing effeciency.

At that point our offense was ahead of the defense

Total Yardage

Offense 17th

Defense 19th

Scoring

Offense 12th

Defense 19th

Our freshmen quarterback was being talked about as a fringe Heisman candidate this year, Roy Helu set a single game rushing record at a school that has a bit of history of outstanding rushers. Then Taylor got hurt and we went back into shell mode for the most part at our head coaches direction.

People ignore the fact that we started a RS freshman at LT, and QB, and had a center that was a first year starter also with limited experience. And that it was our entire offensive staff's first year with our new philosophy that was installed in the middle of fall camp. We have a group of fans that expects our OC to meet the performance of one of the best offensive minds to ever grace a football stadium and conveniently forgets all of the games where our offense under Osborne failed us against OU. Shawn Watson is a heck of a coach, and has done a great job as our offensive coordinator. Is he perfect? Absolutely not! But then again I also recall Bo's legendary D getting blasted several times as well, but he gets a pass.

Best of luck to Shawn Watson in his quest for a head coaching gig.

Apparently, a kid's high school stats - instead of the story behind a kid's skillset, or his video - tells anyone everything they need to know about what he can or can't do. dry.gif

I do not know how anyone can characterize '09 to '10 as neutral, seems there is a lot of focus on a few tough games, mostly due to injury. I hope people will give the next OC a lot more rope than they did Watson. Not being a "Callahan guy" will probably help the next guy quite a bit, I suspect.

I see the anti-Watson crowd doesn't have a monopoly on hyperbole. You're mischaracterizing my statement about Green and his high school numbers. ;)

The problem is that you want to give Watson a pass because of injuries, ignoring the fact that, especially in 2010, we've suffered some pretty key injuries on defense, yet the defense continues to play at a high level. We lost both starting linebackers just before the season, we lost Ciante Evans and Fonzie Dennard for a game or two each, we lost Stache for a half or two, and yet we haven't seen that crazy drop-off on Defense like we've seen on Offense. We've had more injuries preventing guys from playing on Defense than Offense, yet the results are what they are.

I get that you have this propensity to hitch your wagon to a guy and stick with him, zoogies, and the loyalty is admirable. I think you're your own worst enemy when it comes to Watson support, however, because I think the general feeling toward Watson isn't nearly as full of rancor as it seems - but in the face of implacable support for a coach not getting it done, those pointing out flaws are forced to go to ever greater lengths to prove their point. Perhaps had you given in a smidge, the Watson threads would have been less.

Still, it has given us something to talk about. And that's the whole point of the board.

We had Mike Smith go down in pre-season, Sirles got dinged a few times, Keith Williams was a shell of a player in the CCG, Caputo played dinged up, Henry got dinged up, Marcel Jones mised a ton of time, Taylor Martinez obviously was hurt, Zac Lee got hurt, Cody Green had a concussion during the ISU game, Helu got hurt a couple of times, Burkhead was playing hurt a good chunk of the year, Gilleylen had problems with injuries, Paul with the broken foot.

The offense had plenty of it's share of injuries, in fact after the MU game our offense was 6th in the country in Rushing Offense with 295 YPG, 17th in total offense with 458.50 YPG, 12th in scoring average with 38 PPG.

At that point we had the 13th and 20th best rushers in YPG, we had Martinez 12th in the country in passing effeciency.

At that point our offense was ahead of the defense

Total Yardage

Offense 17th

Defense 19th

Scoring

Offense 12th

Defense 19th

Our freshmen quarterback was being talked about as a fringe Heisman candidate this year, Roy Helu set a single game rushing record at a school that has a bit of history of outstanding rushers. Then Taylor got hurt and we went back into shell mode for the most part at our head coaches direction.

People ignore the fact that we started a RS freshman at LT, and QB, and had a center that was a first year starter also with limited experience. And that it was our entire offensive staff's first year with our new philosophy that was installed in the middle of fall camp. We have a group of fans that expects our OC to meet the performance of one of the best offensive minds to ever grace a football stadium and conveniently forgets all of the games where our offense under Osborne failed us against OU. Shawn Watson is a heck of a coach, and has done a great job as our offensive coordinator. Is he perfect? Absolutely not! But then again I also recall Bo's legendary D getting blasted several times as well, but he gets a pass.

Best of luck to Shawn Watson in his quest for a head coaching gig.

Miami of Ohio just got a hell of a ball coach.

TO's years as a head coach- you can see repeatedly our offense fail to produce and cost us games, it took TO 8 years as a head coach to score more than 17 points against OU. Many wanted TO ran out of town, or McBride ran out of town guess it worked ok.

73-

12 points against MU, Loss (12-13)

10 points against KU, win (10-9)

17 points against OSU, tie (17-17)

0 points against OU, loss (0-27)

74-

10 points against MU, loss (10-21)

7 points against OSU, win (7-3)

14 points against OU, loss (14-28)

13 points against Florida, win (13-10)

75-

10 points against LSU, win (10-7)

16 points against KU, win (16-0)

12 points against KSU, win (12-0)

10 points against OU, loss (10-35), we were undefeated #2, chance to play for national title

14 points against Arizona St, loss (14-17)

76-

6 points against LSU, tie (6-6)

17 points against Miami, win (17-9)

14 points against OSU, win (14-10)

17 points against OU, loss (17-20)

77-

10 points against Washington St, loss (10-19)

7 points against OU,loss (7-38)

78-

3 points against Alabama, loss (3-20)

17 points against OU, win (17-14) finally for TO

79-

14 points against OU, loss (14-17)

14 points against Houston, loss (14-17)

80-

14 points against FSU, loss (14-18)

17 points agains OU, loss (17-21)

81-

7 points against Iowa, loss (7-10)

6 points against MU, win (6-0)

15 points against Clemson, loss (15-22)

82-

21 was our lowest output, great year

83-

14 points against OSU, win (14-10)

84-

9 points against Syracuse, loss (9-17)

17 points against OSU, win (17-3)

7 points against OU, loss (7-17)

85-

13 points against FSU, loss (13-17)

17 points against CU, win (17-7)

7 points against OU, loss (7-27)

86-

10 points against CU, loss (10-20)

17 points against OU, loss (17-20)

87-

7 points againt OU, loss (7-17)

88-

7 points against CU, win (7-0)

7 points against OU, win (7-3)

3 points against Miami, loss (3-23), these 3 games were the last 3 of the year, 13 points over 3 games? Fire Osborne!)

89-

17 points against FSU, loss (17-41)

90-

13 points against Baylor, win (13-0)

12 points against CU, loss (12-27)

10 points against OU, loss (10-45)

91-

18 points against Arizona St, win (18-9)

19 points against CU, tie (19-19)

19 points against OU, win (19-14)

0 points against Miami, loss (0-22) the game and offense have passed the old man by, right?

92-

14 points against Washington, loss (14-29)

10 points against Iowa State, loss (10-19)

14 points against Florida St, loss (14-27)

93-

14 points against UCLA, win (14-13)

16 points against FSU, loss (16-18), TO chokes in big games with his playcalls

94-

17 points against KSU, win (17-6)

13 points against OU, win (13-3) even National Champs sputtered

95-

35 points is our low...wow

96-

0 points against Arizona State, loss (0-19) ugh

17 points against CU, win (17-12)

97-

27 is our low, goes out a champion

All I see in this thread is the fact that Nebraska needs to adapt and evolve. Well this awesome evolution that Watson revealed to us this year was the zone read with a mobile quarterback with limited throwing ability. The only problem is that this has been done already by Texas. It got them a national title 5 years ago. Defense have seen this and with proper athletes have no problem stopping it. Texas also had one of the best QB's of their program running it. Texas simply knew what we were running that game along with everyone in the stands and Texas has the athletes to stop it. The only trick up Watson's sleeve was to come out in a new formation and do it again. Watson really needed to adapt as the year progressed and we saw more talented teams and we simply didn't.

Watson has showed two years running he has no backup plan if his ideas don't work. He does the same plan all year long until it is figured out and then reverts the offense into a shell not to lose the ball to the other team. This either means that backups don't know how to get involved into the system after injuries or he doesn't have a philosophy that can be met by everyone on the team. THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED BY HIM OR A STAFF CHANGE.

:boxosoap

All I see in this thread is the fact that Nebraska needs to adapt and evolve. Well this awesome evolution that Watson revealed to us this year was the zone read with a mobile quarterback with limited throwing ability. The only problem is that this has been done already by Texas. It got them a national title 5 years ago. Defense have seen this and with proper athletes have no problem stopping it. Texas also had one of the best QB's of their program running it. Texas simply knew what we were running that game along with everyone in the stands and Texas has the athletes to stop it. The only trick up Watson's sleeve was to come out in a new formation and do it again. Watson really needed to adapt as the year progressed and we saw more talented teams and we simply didn't.

Watson has showed two years running he has no backup plan if his ideas don't work. He does the same plan all year long until it is figured out and then reverts the offense into a shell not to lose the ball to the other team. This either means that backups don't know how to get involved into the system after injuries or he doesn't have a philosophy that can be met by everyone on the team. THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED BY HIM OR A STAFF CHANGE.

Yeah, it's such an awful offense, spreading the field with a mobile QB. If only both teams playing for the MNC would have thought about it they'd be playing for a title game...oh, wait, you mean Auburn and Oregon are both spread option concept type teams? :sarcasm

Yeah, it's such an awful offense, spreading the field with a mobile QB. If only both teams playing for the MNC would have thought about it they'd be playing for a title game...oh, wait, you mean Auburn and Oregon are both spread option concept type teams? :sarcasm

Yes but both teams have things compelement the zone read and dont frickin run it every play. Plus they have the athletes to run it. Oregon has been doing it for several years.... remember Dennis Dixon.

If nebraska had something counter it besides the Wildcat and had a QB that could throw, receivers that could catch it. Nebraska would be 13-0 right now possible playing in the Title game.

The fact is Watson put his eggs on the zone read, teams figured out how stop it. After that happened he had no idea what to do.

Our new coordinator whoever it might be and Bo need to make a call down to Norman, get some info on that Diamond formation.

Yes but both teams have things compelement the zone read and dont frickin run it every play. Plus they have the athletes to run it. Oregon has been doing it for several years.... remember Dennis Dixon.

If nebraska had something counter it besides the Wildcat and had a QB that could throw, receivers that could catch it. Nebraska would be 13-0 right now possible playing in the Title game.

The fact is Watson put his eggs on the zone read, teams figured out how stop it. After that happened he had no idea what to do.

Our new coordinator whoever it might be and Bo need to make a call down to Norman, get some info on that Diamond formation.

Call to Norman for the Diamond formation? The creator of the formation is now in Morgantown, WV and the copy cat of the formation, Kevin Wilson, is now the head coach for Indiana.

If's don't win titles, if Martinez doesn't catch a helmet to the lower leg against MU, or doesn't get stomped on by Caputo against A&M, we are probably 12-1 and headed to a BCS game also, but we aren't.

And FWIW, we ran VERY few true zone reads over the 2nd half of the year. A majority of the plays people thought were the zone read, were actually called in the huddle as a keep\give.

Apparently, a kid's high school stats - instead of the story behind a kid's skillset, or his video - tells anyone everything they need to know about what he can or can't do. <_<

That is the biggest thing for me. Yes, we can wait for Watson to get another 5th year senior like Joe Ganz and he will win big. I know he is capable of of that. But, I don't see him improving players. If we are going to be in a 9-10 win season pattern for a while, I would rather have a guy that is able to bring in a 3 star QBs and coach them to 5 star performance rather than a guy with 4-5 star QBs playing at 3 star level. Coach Bo seems to be completely dedicated not only to win but to turn boys into great men. When the change does happen I expect to see a guy brought in that is just as much life coach as he is QB coach.

You should try reading the whole sentence. I made it big for you. Hope that helps. :)