Watson a candidate for the Miami(OH) head coach position

C N Red

knapplc has made some tremendous points about Watson's work as QB coach. To that end, I've caught wind of an interesting development that also just so happens to support knapplc's remarks about the door being wide open for Watson to get a job elsewhere.

The interesting development is that Watson is no longer the QB coach. The reigns have been handed to Tim Beck. Clearly this offense is beginning to head in a different direction with Wats no longer coaching the QBs.

Oh and another tidbit I've heard (and many of you will like this) - Ted Gilmore is on his way out. Most likely the bowl game will be his last as a coach on this staff.

Yep I heard from a guy I trust that Gilmore was out and the coaching staff wanted to move on without Watson. Plus, they also wanted to get rid of Ekeler, because he wasn't that good of a coach. It might be true...might not be, but the guy has always been spot on. I was surprised to hear that about Ekeler, but it seems like that might be the case. :dunno

knapplc has made some tremendous points about Watson's work as QB coach. To that end, I've caught wind of an interesting development that also just so happens to support knapplc's remarks about the door being wide open for Watson to get a job elsewhere.

The interesting development is that Watson is no longer the QB coach. The reigns have been handed to Tim Beck. Clearly this offense is beginning to head in a different direction with Wats no longer coaching the QBs.

Oh and another tidbit I've heard (and many of you will like this) - Ted Gilmore is on his way out. Most likely the bowl game will be his last as a coach on this staff.

Personally for me I have to treat this as just rumor at this point which you can't blame me for however if this is indeed true...it looks like Pelini has definitely had it with both his offensive coordinator/qb coach and his wide receiver coach.

It's about time. Hoping this is definitely true but who knows...

That would have nothing to do with Watson as a QB coach and everything to do with Watson being on the way out.

Apparently, a kid's high school stats - instead of the story behind a kid's skillset, or his video - tells anyone everything they need to know about what he can or can't do. <_<

I do not know how anyone can characterize '09 to '10 as neutral, seems there is a lot of focus on a few tough games, mostly due to injury. I hope people will give the next OC a lot more rope than they did Watson. Not being a "Callahan guy" will probably help the next guy quite a bit, I suspect.

look, the defense has come a long way in 3 years, the offense is stuck in neutral, the facts don't lie, we need a big shake up, the Watson experiment is over.

I agree, but obviously Bo's strengths are on the defensive side of the ball and that's shown. Something needs to get the offense up to speed with the defense. It's painful to watch.........

Apparently, a kid's high school stats - instead of the story behind a kid's skillset, or his video - tells anyone everything they need to know about what he can or can't do. <_<

I do not know how anyone can characterize '09 to '10 as neutral, seems there is a lot of focus on a few tough games, mostly due to injury. I hope people will give the next OC a lot more rope than they did Watson. Not being a "Callahan guy" will probably help the next guy quite a bit, I suspect.

I see the anti-Watson crowd doesn't have a monopoly on hyperbole. You're mischaracterizing my statement about Green and his high school numbers. ;)

The problem is that you want to give Watson a pass because of injuries, ignoring the fact that, especially in 2010, we've suffered some pretty key injuries on defense, yet the defense continues to play at a high level. We lost both starting linebackers just before the season, we lost Ciante Evans and Fonzie Dennard for a game or two each, we lost Stache for a half or two, and yet we haven't seen that crazy drop-off on Defense like we've seen on Offense. We've had more injuries preventing guys from playing on Defense than Offense, yet the results are what they are.

I get that you have this propensity to hitch your wagon to a guy and stick with him, zoogies, and the loyalty is admirable. I think you're your own worst enemy when it comes to Watson support, however, because I think the general feeling toward Watson isn't nearly as full of rancor as it seems - but in the face of implacable support for a coach not getting it done, those pointing out flaws are forced to go to ever greater lengths to prove their point. Perhaps had you given in a smidge, the Watson threads would have been less.

Still, it has given us something to talk about. And that's the whole point of the board.

Where do you get the idea that a kid who passed for 3,200 yards and ran for another 1,600 yards as a senior is a long-term project?

3,200 yards and 35 TDs as a senior, but he can't pass. 1,600 yards rushing and another 25 TDs, but he's "raw."

I think you and I have different definitions of what constitutes a "project" and what "raw" means.

The bottom line is, with the ability to put up those kinds of stats, if Watson can't get that kid to produce effectively in a game situation to the point where we can't put him into the game, then he has to shoulder some of the blame.

Not sure I overstated your usage of those high school numbers at all ;) Green *was* raw, but you will never know it just by looking at the monster stats he put up in high school. But we can agree to disagree.

The criticism of Watson is remarkably surface level, it seems to me. Ignoring any explanation or background view of the situation as excuses, it hinges on the fact that people aren't happy with the offense and want to get rid of somebody. And that the offense isn't up to the (really high) standard set by the D. The only way I see either of those situations changing next year, is if the D takes a huge step back. Really the best thing we can hope for is some lights-out talent to appear on the offensive side of the ball. I hope Aaron Green can take over games right away.

Not sure I overstated your usage of those high school numbers at all ;) Green *was* raw, but you will never know it just by looking at the monster stats he put up in high school. But we can agree to disagree.

The criticism of Watson is remarkably surface level, it seems to me. Ignoring any explanation or background view of the situation as excuses, it hinges on the fact that people aren't happy with the offense and want to get rid of somebody. And that the offense isn't up to the (really high) standard set by the D. The only way I see either of those situations changing next year, is if the D takes a huge step back. Really the best thing we can hope for is some lights-out talent to appear on the offensive side of the ball. I hope Aaron Green can take over games right away.

I made the point that Green has a good base from which to start, not that we knew everything about his skills. You're basically stating that the kid had ZERO skill, and making the excuse that years in the program isn't enough to get a kid with Green's skills ready to play in a game. Any coach worth his salt should have a kid with that kind of base skill set ready to go two years after entering the program.

I think you're projecting about the surface-level angst towards Watson. I think people have thrown stats and figures galore at you, and you've ignored them based solely on the fact that you've decided Watson is a good guy and you're loyal to your guy.

I made the point that Green has a good base from which to start, not that we knew everything about his skills. You're basically stating that the kid had ZERO skill, and making the excuse that years in the program isn't enough to get a kid with Green's skills ready to play in a game. Any coach worth his salt should have a kid with that kind of base skill set ready to go two years after entering the program.

I think you're projecting about the surface-level angst towards Watson. I think people have thrown stats and figures galore at you, and you've ignored them based solely on the fact that you've decided Watson is a good guy and you're loyal to your guy.

Kid had a boatload of physical ability, but in terms of passing, completely raw with a long ways to go to get up to speed in D1, if he wanted to play as a quarterback. When you talk about a guy who is just slow and can't play TE or DB or anywhere else on the field, they get that offer to play QB because they are not nearly as raw in passing, they can't be.

The stats and figures, that's what I mean. They never mean anything without a story. But the minute you try to add a context to the stats, it is seen as an excuse. Oh well, it's a moot point, since Watson is heading out the door by all looks of it. By sounds of it, Beck could have a good shot at being the next guy. Not too surprising if Bo wants to stick to this system, and we've sacrificed enough to get to this point to reverse it all now.

Four out of five people browsing this topic are Mods. We're not Mods - we're addicts.

Especially huskeraddict.

Dang, you would think a coach as horrible as Watson would not get even a look from anyone. But I guess he has Alabama (as an OC), New Mexico, Pitt, Miami (OH), Vandy, among others, all fooled. :dunno

Eh. Maybe Watson will thrive as a Head Coach in the right place. Look at Craig Bohl - the guy STUNK as our DC, and we couldn't get rid of him fast enough. He moves on to NDSU and has winning season seven out of eight years, including two 10-1 seasons and a conference title. It's not that Watson is evil or the bad guy, it's that he simply doesn't seem to fit in to the culture/system that Bo wants to run. We gave it a go, we kept him for continuity, and now it's time for him to move on.

I think so often in these conversations we all try to go to such great lengths to prove our points that it seems like people are wholly polarized, and at least in my situation, that's not the case. I'm 51% in favor of Watson moving on. That 49% encompasses the disaster our next OC could be, the fact that there are valid extenuating circumstances that could explain some of Watson's struggles, and the fact that on occasion Watson's offenses have produced big numbers. If he stays I'll be OK with it, but my preference is that he goes.

It would make a lot more sense to have Tim Beck take over as Receivers coach instead of Quarterback Coach since he has Zero experience at QB and was a WR coach for multiple years.

Also if he is going to be the next OC how much experience does he actually have running the style of offense Bo wants to run? It would appear his forte is the spread offense where you throw the ball all over the field. Who knows though? :dunno

Well, Ron Brown or Barney Cotton sure aren't going to transition to QBs coach right now. I think Mangino was the msatermind behind the attack at Kansas, 'passing game coordinator' or not - but Beck is probably most equipped to step up and hold the fort down for now. Maybe we bring in someone else to co-OC with him. Coaches on this current staff probably have as much experience as anyone, or at least more specific familiarity for a transition period. The Cardinal Mooney connection probably can't be overlooked either.

Well, Ron Brown or Barney Cotton sure aren't going to transition to QBs coach right now. I think Mangino was the msatermind behind the attack at Kansas, 'passing game coordinator' or not - but Beck is probably most equipped to step up and hold the fort down for now. Maybe we bring in someone else to co-OC with him. Coaches on this current staff probably have as much experience as anyone, or at least more specific familiarity for a transition period. The Cardinal Mooney connection probably can't be overlooked either.

Right on the money with those thoughts, zoogies. Except it should be noted the Kansas offense never quite got back to its 2007 form after Beck left. Mangino might've been the brains behind the whole operation, but there's no doubt Beck's impact in the passing game was instrumental to their success. Also, I bet the QBs have worked quite a bit with Beck considering we run the zone read, which relies heavily on a queues between the QB and the RB.

Yep I heard from a guy I trust that Gilmore was out and the coaching staff wanted to move on without Watson. Plus, they also wanted to get rid of Ekeler, because he wasn't that good of a coach. It might be true...might not be, but the guy has always been spot on. I was surprised to hear that about Ekeler, but it seems like that might be the case. :dunno

Probably not the same guy I've been talking to, but the legitimacy is definitely there on my end too. That's the only reason I posted it.