Watson a candidate for the Miami(OH) head coach position

C N Red

I think we need to get you 2 a thread all to yourselves. Either that or start a "Watson must go - not to be overtaken by Zoogies/Knapplc" thread. :)

I should just move all the conversation about Watson to the thread I created a few weeks ago. It's my own fault for not doing that before this got out of hand. Again.

:facepalm: <---- for me.

I think we need to get you 2 a thread all to yourselves. Either that or start a "Watson must go - not to be overtaken by Zoogies/Knapplc" thread. :)

I should just move all the conversation about Watson to the thread I created a few weeks ago. It's my own fault for not doing that before this got out of hand. Again.

:facepalm: <---- for me.

Good idea, that way when Bo decides to keep Watson (which produces the same offensive question marks as in the prior 2-3 years) - we can bump it and cut/paste the prior arguments since the facts supporting them will be the same next year as this year, last year, and the prior year..

Let me get this straight. TO who has won three NC wanted Watson retained. Last year, two NC winning Nick Saban tried to lure Watson to Alabama. Yep, that cements it. Watson is a horrid OC.

And after this year....?.... (crickets chirping)

Yes and nobody is chomping at the bit to keep him here. Of course, I really dont remember how the assistants contracts work. I thought they were all 1 year contracts that are up for renewal on Jan 31st or something like that.

I would think if Tom and Bo wanted to keep him that they wouldve locked him down already.

Let me get this straight. TO who has won three NC wanted Watson retained. Last year, two NC winning Nick Saban tried to lure Watson to Alabama. Yep, that cements it. Watson is a horrid OC.

That's proof to you that Watson is a good OC?

If TO wanted him and Nick Saban wanted him, then yes it's good enough for me. I'm guessing these two guys are a wee bit better at determining talent than those of us here.

Back to the topic....

I was just over at the Miami OH message boards. Sounds like they want tOSU coaches Luke Fickell or John Peterson, but wouldnt mind Watson. Seems like that is the only 3 they are talking about.

Thanks for getting back to topic. I haven't heard anything buzzing about this in Nebraska media outlets.

Back to the topic....

I was just over at the Miami OH message boards. Sounds like they want tOSU coaches Luke Fickell or John Peterson, but wouldnt mind Watson. Seems like that is the only 3 they are talking about.

Thanks for getting back to topic. I haven't heard anything buzzing about this in Nebraska media outlets.

That's probably because Shawn Watson is too good for the job, and Miami (OH) is afraid that if they hire him their team will instantly be so successful they'll have to move up to the SEC, build a 150,000 seat stadium and make loads of cash off their football program.

Nobody wants that.

That's proof to you that Watson is a good OC?

If TO wanted him and Nick Saban wanted him, then yes it's good enough for me. I'm guessing these two guys are a wee bit better at determining talent than those of us here.

So you know for a fact that T.O. and Saban wanted him for sure??? Give proof!!

I will say I think T.O. kind of told Bo it might be in his best interests to keep Watson but I think(I have no proof that he wanted or didn't want him)it was more for keeping some continuity around. T.O. probably thought it best to have some coaches stay to help with players already on team and also with recruiting. Knowing Watson, if kept, would be considered the OC and head of the offense, probably good idea to keep him on for recruiting on that side of ball and see if can keep some continuity there. T.O. knew Bo would come in and get the Defense back up to standards and knew Bo could recruit good D players right away. But, probably didn't want Bo to have to worry so much about trying to get the Offense up and going too thinking it could put us behind.

However, now after 3 years of offensive mediocrity(not as much in 1st year) I think it's time to get the offense up and going since the D is where it needs to be. But, I think in order to do this Bo needs to get in an OC that can run what he wants. Not a Zone Read running game with a West Coast passing game.

And please, please prove to me that Saban "Wanted Watson!" If he wants him so bad then come get him. I would gurantee if Watson was offered the OC job at Bama he would go in a second.

"Shawn Watson will be staying with the University of Nebraska after declining an offer to become the offensive coordinator at Alabama. Alabama coach Nick Saban was hoping that Watson would accept the plane to come pick him up in Lincoln and come talk with the University but Watson said no thank you."

Per nebsports.com

suh_fan, I think you are off the mark. One of Shawn's strengths in my opinion is the ability to utilize what he has and play to their strengths. In our case though, Taylor's imagined strengths often careen way off the charts with respect to reality. The result is a very much simplified offense that relies on Taylor's strengths that are considerable, if limited in scope. And then the offense is blamed for being too simple/predictable/reliant on one guy/reliant on the big play.

Ganz wasn't overlooked, he was in a tight race with Keller in 2007 that he lost. Ganz had no physical talent on his side and grew up in the system, which enabled his success. A guy that was made by the staff. If he was ever snubbed, it was most notably by Bill Callahan.

Nebraska did not have the tools last year if you have any idea about the injury situation and the extremely poor depth at QB. A lot of stuff about injuries doesn't get out enough for people to know about them. How many of us knew about Ganz's injury that resulted in some wanting to shut him down in 2008? I definitely did not, until recently.

Bo is the one that has tied his wagon to Taylor Martinez and that can be his undoing, as we all see what happens when Taylor shuts down, as he is liable to do.

Anyway, I know I will not change any minds here.

Everyone has got that Chatelain article COMPLETELY wrong, though, so I will bring this up every time it is brought up. Dirk wrote that article to blast Bo, which is evident from his tweet introducing the article, in which he explicitly said that the loss was Bo's fault.

You're kidding, right? This is the guy who has 3 completely different quarterbacks, and yet, by his own admission, does not change the offense with respect to who is under center at any given time.

If we have had a coordinator that has utilized offensive players' strengths and maximized their potential, that's saying a lot about how piss poor the talent on that side of the ball must be.

I know you're getting piled on a bit, but that just doesn't seem like a well thought out conclusion.

"Shawn Watson will be staying with the University of Nebraska after declining an offer to become the offensive coordinator at Alabama. Alabama coach Nick Saban was hoping that Watson would accept the plane to come pick him up in Lincoln and come talk with the University but Watson said no thank you."

Per nebsports.com

It took me all of ten seconds on google to find similar stuff. It was a pretty well-known thing back then. Maybe everyone didn't read those blog posts and articles? :dunno