Watson a candidate for the Miami(OH) head coach position

C N Red

"Shawn Watson will be staying with the University of Nebraska after declining an offer to become the offensive coordinator at Alabama. Alabama coach Nick Saban was hoping that Watson would accept the plane to come pick him up in Lincoln and come talk with the University but Watson said no thank you."

Per nebsports.com

You accidentally forgot this part.

***Reports are saying that Watson wasn’t officialy offered the job, Alabama just asked for permission to speak with him, but he told Nebraska officials that he wanted to stay with the University of Nebraska***

Also, nebsports.com is a freaking blog. It isn't the AP or a real newspaper. They may do good journalism, I don't know I don't follow, but they are not and never will be considered a trusted source.

Jason, I think that's a bit of coach speak, honestly. Whatever they said, the offense changed once Lee went in. It was different, I think, against Colorado. Basically, the offense that we were preparing with Lee/Green, before Martinez took over, looked different. Taylor being the man resulted in a more limited scope of offense that relied a lot on the zone read, or designed runs as they sometimes were. With that taken away, we saw the Rexcat reintroduced. People like to compare the offense with the defense a lot, but I'm not sure it's even a fair fight in terms of personnel.

"Shawn Watson will be staying with the University of Nebraska after declining an offer to become the offensive coordinator at Alabama. Alabama coach Nick Saban was hoping that Watson would accept the plane to come pick him up in Lincoln and come talk with the University but Watson said no thank you."

Per nebsports.com

It took me all of ten seconds on google to find similar stuff. It was a pretty well-known thing back then. Maybe everyone didn't read those blog posts and articles? :dunno

Apparently C N Red didn't get the memo. Actually, there's more fact behind this than there is about TO wanting Watson retained. I figured if he was going to jump me about references, it would be with regards to TO.

Sorry but none of our QB's can run the system that SW used with Joe Ganz. So why keep a guy that doesn't run the style of offense to match the quarterbacks we are recruiting now. Bo clearly knows what he wants and Green is unable to be a gamechanger in the Bo/Watson jumbled mess of a system and that is why Taylor starts. Green could develop into a fine qb in the right system. We get an OC that jives with Bo's direction and we can plug in our guy.

I also think Bo leaves Taylor in the CCG to develop him for the future. I mean all we need is a 60 yard field goal to get to OT. I still have no problem with leaving the kid in the game. Just call plays that don't hinge everything on him being able to be a pocket passer.

See, I think Green can do it - I just think he's not being taught to do it. Green's high school system wasn't so horrifically different than what Bo wants to run that he cannot adjust. Green has natural running ability and can pass. He threw for over 3,000 yards his senior year of high school, yet has not only not learned this system, he's regressed. He is clearly not being coached up - or we would have to presume that he's uncoachable/resisting the coaching he's being given, and there's been nothing provided to support that. In fact, all we hear is how Cody is a team player, how Cody is working hard, how Cody is doing everything he can. There's a problem here, and it's either Cody, his coach or the head coach. The two most likely people to blame are Cody or Watson, but for whatever reason Bo keeps getting thrown in there.

I agree completely. I think Green can be a good qb. I just think we have a conflict of interests between HC and OC.

I also think Bo leaves Taylor in the CCG to develop him for the future. I mean all we need is a 60 yard field goal to get to OT. I still have no problem with leaving the kid in the game. Just call plays that don't hinge everything on him being able to be a pocket passer.

Leave a guy in there to develop him for the future? ... and I think you mean, just call plays that don't involve Taylor at all. I agree. But why leave him in there if that's the case.

[\quote]

No I think it was ok to leave Taylor in because if you just stick rex in there it says run wildcat but beware of rare pass play. Taylor adds other dimensions to the offense even at less than 100%. Just don't force him to stand in the pocket when his instincts are to scramble but he has a bum wheel. Let the kid play action or throw quick tosses or roll outs like the 4th down pass to Mike McNeil.

Per nebsports.com

It took me all of ten seconds on google to find similar stuff. It was a pretty well-known thing back then. Maybe everyone didn't read those blog posts and articles? :dunno

Apparently C N Red didn't get the memo. Actually, there's more fact behind this than there is about TO wanting Watson retained. I figured if he was going to jump me about references, it would be with regards to TO.

I got the memo, but not sure if you're understanding.

Show me proof that Saban "wanted watson." Maybe he wanted to interview him, but maybe he didn't. Where is the proof there was actually a plane? Like I said a couple posts ago, this info is coming from a blog which is not a trusted or proven source. Let's just say this, I love huskerboard, but it's pretty obvious things come up on here that are totally not the truth.

If you can find proof, from a real newspaper or sport channel that it all went down that way then I'll give you the kudos. But I won't believe it coming from a blog.

There were some things I found from sources I would consider trusted but they never really got into anything except saying some players were relieved he wasn't leaving. There just isn't any hardcore undeniable proof to exactly what happened. I just don't think we can guess that Saban really wanted Watson so bad.

Because if true why is Saban not looking to get Watson now if he wanted him so bad back then?

Just checked the Miami OH message boards. Some supposedly in know believe Watson is in the final 3. Other candidates being thrown around over their are.....

Steve Addazio Florida OC or former Florida OC however you wanna slice it.

Don Treadwell Michigan State OC

James Patton Oklahoma OL coach

Kerry Combs Cincinnati DB coach

It was also mention that Luke Fickell and John Peterson tOSU assistant coach have withdrawn or not been contacted at all.

Rumors something to be announced this week.

Most are really high on Treadwell and Watson.

Just checked the Miami OH message boards. Some supposedly in know believe Watson is in the final 3. Other candidates being thrown around over their are.....

It was also mention that Luke Fickell and John Peterson tOSU assistant coach have withdrawn or not been contacted at all.

wow if addazio left that would be gnarly for florida....... and might just make a few recruits pause and think

Darn. This makes me nervous. I would really hate to lose Watson. To me, he is a first-rate offensive mind who just doesn't have the personnel to make his vision come through here at Nebraska. I was hoping that he would have more time here to try and get the players to match his genius, but alas, it seems it won't be the case. Too bad. Miami (OH) will be getting one hell of a ball coach if Watson leaves.

Dang, you would think a coach as horrible as Watson would not get even a look from anyone. But I guess he has Alabama (as an OC), New Mexico, Pitt, Miami (OH), Vandy, among others, all fooled. :dunno

• Fire 2

knapplc has made some tremendous points about Watson's work as QB coach. To that end, I've caught wind of an interesting development that also just so happens to support knapplc's remarks about the door being wide open for Watson to get a job elsewhere.

The interesting development is that Watson is no longer the QB coach. The reigns have been handed to Tim Beck. Clearly this offense is beginning to head in a different direction with Wats no longer coaching the QBs.

Oh and another tidbit I've heard (and many of you will like this) - Ted Gilmore is on his way out. Most likely the bowl game will be his last as a coach on this staff.

knapplc has made some tremendous points about Watson's work as QB coach. To that end, I've caught wind of an interesting development that also just so happens to support knapplc's remarks about the door being wide open for Watson to get a job elsewhere.

The interesting development is that Watson is no longer the QB coach. The reigns have been handed to Tim Beck. Clearly this offense is beginning to head in a different direction with Wats no longer coaching the QBs.

Oh and another tidbit I've heard (and many of you will like this) - Ted Gilmore is on his way out. Most likely the bowl game will be his last as a coach on this staff.

ESPY, do not tease me when im in this fragile a state! If ur not serious I will never forgive you!

Please god all I want for xmas are "these things ESPY has heard" to be true except please also add sans watson after year is over.

Hallelujah! Holy sh*t! Where's the tylenol?

Thank you God!!!

That's "TWO" priceless gifts.

Thank you God!!!

That's "TWO" priceless gifts.

Yeah, lets hope that we get some different coaches that help us win 10 games each year, Oh!! wait thats not good enough any more. We only want coaches that win them all. :facepalm:

Watch out Bo you could be next. :sarcasm

GBR!!!