I am imploding

mwj98

First, let me say I know there have been plenty of posts about firing people....But as a long time fan, former player and current alum, I am beside myself. I couldn't watch this ridiculous play calling last night.

While at the Big 12 championship game, I was sitting next to a big time alum, he actually said before the end of the game, "If they don't make a change at qb, I'm getting up and leaving". Mind you we were on the 40 yd line, damn near field level. Next series, no change. He shook my hand, said he was going to write a letter to the athletic dept. and he left. Now, I say that because something has go to happen with this offense. We have a great defense, but, they are on the field way too long and they start to wear down. Just think if we could sustain drives of fifty sixty yards and keep the defense fresh.

So, I want some honest feedback. I'm just frustrated as hell. I love this team and I will defend them to the end.

I honestly think Watson has had his time. It's always something. Why not line up, power I and mash people in the friggin mouth!!!! Screw this motion left, zone read crap!! Hit somebody in the damn mouth!

• Fire 1

First, let me say I know there have been plenty of posts about firing people....But as a long time fan, former player and current alum, I am beside myself. I couldn't watch this ridiculous play calling last night.

While at the Big 12 championship game, I was sitting next to a big time alum, he actually said before the end of the game, "If they don't make a change at qb, I'm getting up and leaving". Mind you we were on the 40 yd line, damn near field level. Next series, no change. He shook my hand, said he was going to write a letter to the athletic dept. and he left. Now, I say that because something has go to happen with this offense. We have a great defense, but, they are on the field way too long and they start to wear down. Just think if we could sustain drives of fifty sixty yards and keep the defense fresh.

So, I want some honest feedback. I'm just frustrated as hell. I love this team and I will defend them to the end.

I honestly think Watson has had his time. It's always something. Why not line up, power I and mash people in the friggin mouth!!!! Screw this motion left, zone read crap!! Hit somebody in the damn mouth!

Amen! :horns2

I tend to agree. One thing I learned in the Army is that a plan rarely survives after the first bullet is fired. They seem to have the talent, but there is a bullheadedness (hope that is a word) in the coaching staff in that they will not change their plan and take what the opponent is giving them. It is very important to have a plan going in, but for pete's sake you have to flexible. I am guessing the players know all the plays and just not the ones in the current game plan......

• Fire 1

That was horrible and the worst part...me being an arm chair QB actually turned to my brother w/ about 4 mins. to go and said watch this, "Cody just changed the play or direction of the play....i'll call this now...zone read to the left/defense is blitzing right into it...i bet we lose 5 yards!"

Result of play: Loss of 5+ yards

My brother asked me why i called the play and then gave it to the UDub DC?! LOL

That had to be some of the worst O-Line play i've seen in awhile and our offense is offensive! Walking papers need handed out today!

How's his dad act in the stands?

By getting in the face of another coaches son (adult aged), when said coaches son commented that Taylor made a bad read and even worse throw on his interception according to someone at the game. Plus the phone call incident, and the Texas game where he and Taylor were chatting as the final seconds ticked off.

How's his dad act in the stands?

By getting in the face of another coaches son (adult aged), when said coaches son commented that Taylor made a bad read and even worse throw on his interception according to someone at the game. Plus the phone call incident, and the Texas game where he and Taylor were chatting as the final seconds ticked off.

(First part) Ha wow sounds like him and Palini have a lot in common. Hey the guy is pashionate about his sons playing. I don't have a problem with it. He ain't a coach and doesn't represent NU. There's husker fans that do that. Its college football. Just as long as it doesn't end up in a full blown fist fight. Its not a problem to me.

------------------------------------------------

:facepalm::facepalm: I messed up reply...sorry.. too dumb to figure out how to change this

--------------------------------------------------

From HANC

We are in the same boat... life-long fan, alumn, (I didn't play at UNL though), but I coach football and watch each game from a coach's perspective rather than a fan for the past 15 years

I am not claiming to be a good coach, and would never-ever consider my knowledge even close to that of a post-high school coach......BUT, I have been more frustrated and baffled this year than most years.

Too this moment, I still do NOT understand why we didn't attempt to throw the ball on 1st down at least a handful of times. UW stacked the box and we ran EVERY TIME, except once late in the game. Why not a play-action once in awhile to keep the def. a little honest.

I am tired of hearing how we have these great OL recruits in the system or "on their way".. Time to see improvement, or time for Cotton to go !! The OL didn't help at all last night, or MANY times this season... Play-calling could help out the OL a little and the OL could help out the play calling a little.

At qb, I am up in the air. I love T-Mart's big play threat, but I feel as if he and his dad are holding the team "hostage" and I can't believe Bo is the type of guy who will want to play this game for 3 more years. I hope there is a great QB battle this spring, and if T-Mart actually WINS the battle on the field, then he will be qb.

Bo has a difficult month ahead of him. For the first time in his HC career, he is facing adversity and tough decisions at the end of the season. Will he pull the string and make moves or will he be defiant and keep everyone. Does he have the "charm" to convince current recruits to stay on board and current underclassmen to stay?

When you lose 3 of last 4 and play POORLY in 6 of last 7....and along the way, get publically blasted for sideline demeanor (thrown under bus by Harvey)...and finishing out of the top 25.... Bo will have to be a GREAT SALESMAN to convince everyone that the program is truly on way "up" and not sliding back down.

It will be interesting, and somewhat painful. I was hoping that NU was "really back"....but that isn't the case - YET

------------------------------------------------

:facepalm::facepalm: I messed up reply...sorry.. too dumb to figure out how to change this

--------------------------------------------------

From HANC

We are in the same boat... life-long fan, alumn, (I didn't play at UNL though), but I coach football and watch each game from a coach's perspective rather than a fan for the past 15 years

I am not claiming to be a good coach, and would never-ever consider my knowledge even close to that of a post-high school coach......BUT, I have been more frustrated and baffled this year than most years.

Too this moment, I still do NOT understand why we didn't attempt to throw the ball on 1st down at least a handful of times. UW stacked the box and we ran EVERY TIME, except once late in the game. Why not a play-action once in awhile to keep the def. a little honest.

I am tired of hearing how we have these great OL recruits in the system or "on their way".. Time to see improvement, or time for Cotton to go !! The OL didn't help at all last night, or MANY times this season... Play-calling could help out the OL a little and the OL could help out the play calling a little.

At qb, I am up in the air. I love T-Mart's big play threat, but I feel as if he and his dad are holding the team "hostage" and I can't believe Bo is the type of guy who will want to play this game for 3 more years. I hope there is a great QB battle this spring, and if T-Mart actually WINS the battle on the field, then he will be qb.

Bo has a difficult month ahead of him. For the first time in his HC career, he is facing adversity and tough decisions at the end of the season. Will he pull the string and make moves or will he be defiant and keep everyone. Does he have the "charm" to convince current recruits to stay on board and current underclassmen to stay?

When you lose 3 of last 4 and play POORLY in 6 of last 7....and along the way, get publically blasted for sideline demeanor (thrown under bus by Harvey)...and finishing out of the top 25.... Bo will have to be a GREAT SALESMAN to convince everyone that the program is truly on way "up" and not sliding back down.

It will be interesting, and somewhat painful. I was hoping that NU was "really back"....but that isn't the case - YET

Amen brotha! Also, did anyone notice after martinez threw the touchdown pass to McNeill I think,.. he (McNeill)...barely celebrated with Martinez. McNeill quickly turned to the other players and celebrated. It seemed a little weird to me. Maybe I am looking way too far into it. But,I noticed at the Big 12 Championship McNeill jumped all over Martinez during a timeout. It was a TV timeout so many didn't see it. If this guy is truly a problem, we need to get it ironed out or move on.

I think we do have the personnel to play smashmouth. But if you are overcomplicating an offense, which watson does, maybe it's time to get back to basics. At the end of the day, it's blocking and tackling. Simplify and let the athletic ability take over. Don't think too much.

Love the posts guys. I don't claim to be an expert, but it is really gut wrenching to see this happens. I really want them to do well.

Yes, I did notice the LACK of celebration with Taylor after the TD. It was to Kyler Reed, and most of the offense ran down the field and jumped on Kyler... As Taylor jogged over, Reed BARELY extended his hand for a SLIGHT "low five" as he ran by.

He did not stop, even turn his head to say anything to Taylor.... On the sideline, players continued to celebrate with Kyler, and ONLY Zac Lee came over to Taylor to discuss something. As Lee and Martinez talked, 1 played reached in from behind and slapped Taylor's shoulder pad.

During all of this, I was pointing it out to my wife...this is the small crap that I watch during the game, that makes my wife HATE watching with me... especially at the stadium, because she can't move to another room.

** There is definitely something up with the "chemistry" with the offense. Needs to be addressed. If Taylor stays and is our QB, mayber HE should be part of the UNITY council and be forced to become a little more vocal and more of a leader.

** I did notice that after his injury, he did stay up near the field with the team and actually had a headset on.... this is a BIG CHANGE from the other times this year when he has been benched or hurt. Hopefully this shows a little growth. I am not giving up on him quite yet.