Where do we go from here?

ladyhawke

Now that we've all had our 'rants' and we've had some sleep, where DO we go from here?

>Offense: We obviously need to see some 'house cleaning' with regards to offense but is there anything that IS working offensively that we need to keep?

>Defense: What's not working here? I thought our D did some very good things last night. Are there things they need to improve on?

>Return Team: I would like to see some folks put in who can actually field the ball and run it back for decent field positioning.

>Penalties: Wow...I've been watching NU football for a long time. I don't remember ever having so many penalties and stupid ones too. Blah! This area HAS to change.

NU is at such a critical juncture. We will go into the Big 10 'undefeated' as we haven't played any games in that conference yet. We're in a great position to make significant changes in the off season that will make a huge impact as we enter the Big 10. It's exciting really, and scary...your turn-what would you like to see?

So, where do we go from here? What specific changes do we need to make? What's working? What's not? I think we're all in agreement that there needs to be some major 'house cleaning' in the Offensive department. What would that look like? Is there anything offensively, that IS working? I would like to keep the things that are working in place and weed out the things that are not.

the whole offensive philosophy is just sh#t made up from game to game...see SW playbook!

I'm not going to comment on things that work and don't work because I think most people on this board pretty much know what those are. Oline is soft and poorly coached, playcalling and schemes leave a lot to be desired, yada yada yada.

I think the TE's are being coached pretty well for the most part, and also the RB's in most areas (although, at times, their pass blocking is a little weak). Basically, I'm saying Brown and Beck stay. Everyone else can hit the bricks as far as I'm concerned.

As far as where we go, I'm not real sure who would be good candidates for these positions. Obviously, Frost would be a dream for this staff in some way, but other than that, I don't really know. Maybe someone that follows this kind of stuff a little more can throw out a list for possibilities.

Please get rid of the zone read! It should only be ran 3-5 times a game. Hell, we ran an option play last night for a decent gain.

Those are the wrinkles that should be in the gameplan but not THE gameplan!!

I don't care what offensive philosophy we go with but we need to have it as our identity! I don't know wth our identity is right now.

Please get rid of the zone read! It should only be ran 3-5 times a game. Hell, we ran an option play last night for a decent gain.

Those are the wrinkles that should be in the gameplan but not THE gameplan!!

I don't care what offensive philosophy we go with but we need to have it as our identity! I don't know wth our identity is right now.

Bingo, get rid of that damn zone read. If Taylor isnt healthy enough to run it, or if he isnt reading the defensive players, hince zone READ, then dont run it.

Please keep the zone read, spread option offense.

Can you imagine what Michigan would be doing to the Big 10 if they had our defense?

Well, that's what we are about to do to the Big 10, except we DO have our defense.

Either get Taylor 100% healthy again (but I am not hoping for that even, anymore) or get in Carnes/Turner, and some lightning backs in Green/Heard, and watch the fireworks. We could be better suited for this the next few years in the B10 than with a full out WCO we would have had without Bo's meddling, so maybe we will be thankful for that in the end.

I think the TE's are being coached pretty well for the most part, and also the RB's in most areas (although, at times, their pass blocking is a little weak). Basically, I'm saying Brown and Beck stay. Everyone else can hit the bricks as far as I'm concerned.

As far as where we go, I'm not real sure who would be good candidates for these positions. Obviously, Frost would be a dream for this staff in some way, but other than that, I don't really know. Maybe someone that follows this kind of stuff a little more can throw out a list for possibilities.

if you hire a new OC, he must be allowed to pick all his own guys....no exceptions!

Can you imagine what Michigan would be doing to the Big 10 if they had our defense?

Well, that's what we are about to do to the Big 10, except we DO have our defense.

Either get Taylor 100% healthy again (but I am not hoping for that even, anymore) or get in Carnes/Turner, and some lightning backs in Green/Heard, and watch the fireworks. We could be better suited for this the next few years in the B10 than with a full out WCO we would have had without Bo's meddling, so maybe we will be thankful for that in the end.

We need to get away from the deep outside zone read that we're using, I am fine with a more inside zone read concept like Oregon and Nevada utilize, but the deep, slow developing zone read we used is just far too easy to outscheme.

I don't know - it could be our backs not being as well suited to that as Heard/Green will be. But I do like the inside ZR better.

BTW - I hope everyone realizes how screwed we are to begin with when the ZR is what Taylor does best, even now, and it's something he is not doing well at all. Get him out of there, if that's the case, but we've seen the only thing that can take Taylor out of a game is Taylor.

Defensively, I don't think we'll have to change our schemes as much as a lot of people think we will. Our style will contrast to what the rest of the Big 10 will be doing, therefore teams will have to prepare different for us every week. We will have to gear our D to stop the run a little more effectively, maybe going to more of a 4-3, but overall I think we can stay similar. Tackling and physicality need to be amped up a little, but it is all possible with this staff. Bring on the big 10.

We need to get away from the deep outside zone read that we're using, I am fine with a more inside zone read concept like Oregon and Nevada utilize, but the deep, slow developing zone read we used is just far too easy to outscheme.

Ok. I'll go w/ this assessment. The inside ZR is fine but what we are doing now isn't it...

NebHusker72, you are spot on. The zone read is a play you should run periodically throughout the game. Not on every single 1st or 2nd down.

What absolutely blows my mind is that when the zone read is clearly not working ( and this has happened in many games), Watson just continues to

run that play. We do not have an offensive identity, it's that clear. If Watson were to go, is the OC job at NEB an attractive job?

Also, what type of offense should Nebraska even be?

It's not the zone read that is the problem. It's not budging from it and running play, after play, after play when the defense is stacking the box because they know what is coming.

The zone read or any running play would work well for Taylor if Nebraska (SW) knew what mixing it up meant and implemented it into the offense.

People know what's coming. Washington knew what was coming last night and defended it accordingly. 7-6 Washington. Early on in the year it may have worked. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why teams over time have shut down Nebraska's offense.

There is no multiplicity in the Nebraska offense. Period. If it were 1983 and Nebraska still had the pipeline you could get away with this sort of playcalling.

Another pretty good defensive effort nullified by an another completely inept gameplan. Period.

Can't wait for 2011. Unless changes are made?

Be prepared for more of the same...

if you hire a new OC, he must be allowed to pick all his own guys....no exceptions!

Not JUST a new OC - but the best OC in the country.