Summing up Barney Cotton in one play

I was critical of this when I watched the game live, but does this look like a possible screen setup that Taylor and the line/RB had a miscommunication? It looks a little like they were letting them by and Roy was going to open for a screen pass.

Hard to believe we called a screen, but I digress...

Nope, absolutely not! It was a zone blitz that obviously confused the hell out of both our guards! Then add in the fact Caputo got dumped on his ass it may have looked like they were letting him through, but they most definitely were not...

I was critical of this when I watched the game live, but does this look like a possible screen setup that Taylor and the line/RB had a miscommunication? It looks a little like they were letting them by and Roy was going to open for a screen pass.

Nope, absolutely not! It was a zone blitz that obviously confused the hell out of both our guards! Then add in the fact Caputo got dumped on his ass it may have looked like they were letting him through, but they most definitely were not...

It was a zone blitz, and watching again there is no way it was a screen because Taylor was looking downfield (honestly, he would have stared down the RB). You are right, I didn't watch close enough.

Barney is terrible, and you can read YEARS of posts on this board where I have been saying this.

3 rushers does not equal a blitz, they dropped 8 into coverage. Seeing 3 offensive linemen laying on the ground while Martinez gets slammed to the turf? Awesome! I will say that if Martinez had pocket presence he would have side stepped the rusher and broke into the open field.

However, this scenario played out over and over throughout the year, the way to stop our offense was to put a man directly on Caputo and knock him into the backfield. And yet we didn't try to roll the pocket or do much of anything to adjust because Barney just never figured it out.

3 rushers does not equal a blitz, they dropped 8 into coverage. Seeing 3 offensive linemen laying on the ground while Martinez gets slammed to the turf? Awesome! I will say that if Martinez had pocket presence he would have side stepped the rusher and broke into the open field.

However, this scenario played out over and over throughout the year, the way to stop our offense was to put a man directly on Caputo and knock him into the backfield. And yet we didn't try to roll the pocket or do much of anything to adjust because Barney just never figured it out.

Actually, it is called a zone blitz. If you watch again, like I had to, they dropped their DL except for the NG into coverage and brought two LB off the edge.

Actually, it is called a zone blitz. If you watch again, like I had to, they dropped their DL except for the NG into coverage and brought two LB off the edge.

I dont think it actually confused the Oline. everybody had a hat on a guy, even had 3 on the NG. I think the speed of the LBs is what ruined this play and Helu lookin lost. If helu just goes out to the flat, this play might have been salavgable. this should be a presnap read that a blitz is coming, thus checking off Helu to go to the flat. But we all know that taylor locks into his first option and doesnt go through his progression, so I dont know what good that would have done.

The o-line just does not have that tenacity they need to play. I am not sure what is going on at practice, but with our d-line you would think our o-line would be able to block. They do not play with any aggression, heart, or passion. It is pathetic watching them block....the offensive staff needs to get this fixed, along with just about everything else that this offense stands for.

I dont think it actually confused the Oline. everybody had a hat on a guy, even had 3 on the NG. I think the speed of the LBs is what ruined this play and Helu lookin lost. If helu just goes out to the flat, this play might have been salavgable. this should be a presnap read that a blitz is coming, thus checking off Helu to go to the flat. But we all know that taylor locks into his first option and doesnt go through his progression, so I dont know what good that would have done.

exactly, it will be the same sh#t next season!