Summing up Barney Cotton in one play

I was critical of this when I watched the game live, but does this look like a possible screen setup that Taylor and the line/RB had a miscommunication? It looks a little like they were letting them by and Roy was going to open for a screen pass.

Hard to believe we called a screen, but I digress...

Nope, absolutely not! It was a zone blitz that obviously confused the hell out of both our guards! Then add in the fact Caputo got dumped on his ass it may have looked like they were letting him through, but they most definitely were not...

3 rushers does not equal a blitz, they dropped 8 into coverage. Seeing 3 offensive linemen laying on the ground while Martinez gets slammed to the turf? Awesome! I will say that if Martinez had pocket presence he would have side stepped the rusher and broke into the open field.

However, this scenario played out over and over throughout the year, the way to stop our offense was to put a man directly on Caputo and knock him into the backfield. And yet we didn't try to roll the pocket or do much of anything to adjust because Barney just never figured it out.

Actually, it is called a zone blitz. If you watch again, like I had to, they dropped their DL except for the NG into coverage and brought two LB off the edge.

The generally accepted definition of a blitz is sending more defenders than blockers. Just because a couple of linebackers were rushing on the play doesn't mean it was a blitz, but we're arguing semantics now.

I was critical of this when I watched the game live, but does this look like a possible screen setup that Taylor and the line/RB had a miscommunication? It looks a little like they were letting them by and Roy was going to open for a screen pass.

Nope, absolutely not! It was a zone blitz that obviously confused the hell out of both our guards! Then add in the fact Caputo got dumped on his ass it may have looked like they were letting him through, but they most definitely were not...

3 rushers does not equal a blitz, they dropped 8 into coverage. Seeing 3 offensive linemen laying on the ground while Martinez gets slammed to the turf? Awesome! I will say that if Martinez had pocket presence he would have side stepped the rusher and broke into the open field.

However, this scenario played out over and over throughout the year, the way to stop our offense was to put a man directly on Caputo and knock him into the backfield. And yet we didn't try to roll the pocket or do much of anything to adjust because Barney just never figured it out.

Actually, it is called a zone blitz. If you watch again, like I had to, they dropped their DL except for the NG into coverage and brought two LB off the edge.

I dont think it actually confused the Oline. everybody had a hat on a guy, even had 3 on the NG. I think the speed of the LBs is what ruined this play and Helu lookin lost. If helu just goes out to the flat, this play might have been salavgable. this should be a presnap read that a blitz is coming, thus checking off Helu to go to the flat. But we all know that taylor locks into his first option and doesnt go through his progression, so I dont know what good that would have done.

The speed of the LB's?

Here's a screen cap, notice Jones has got one rusher on the ground, and Sirles has his man sealed for a pocket like he should. At this point, Martinez should have been able to step up in the pocket or take off down the field, but because of the Husker scrum at the LOS he gets planted.

linefail.jpg

I dont think it actually confused the Oline. everybody had a hat on a guy, even had 3 on the NG. I think the speed of the LBs is what ruined this play and Helu lookin lost. If helu just goes out to the flat, this play might have been salavgable. this should be a presnap read that a blitz is coming, thus checking off Helu to go to the flat. But we all know that taylor locks into his first option and doesnt go through his progression, so I dont know what good that would have done.

The speed of the LB's?

Here's a screen cap, notice Jones has got one rusher on the ground, and Sirles has his man sealed for a pocket like he should. At this point, Martinez should have been able to step up in the pocket or take off down the field, but because of the Husker scrum at the LOS he gets planted.

linefail.jpg

I think the fact that the LBs even though they didnt make the tackle had pushed our tackles back so far that Martinez froze/freaked out because of his lack of pocket presence and indesicion is what ruined the play. You dont always have to make a tackle to make an impact on a play.

Regardless.... this play was a diaster before the snap even happened. that falls on coaching, an inexpericenced QB, and an Oline that has been dominated all game.

Actually this is the true definition of the zone blitz.... kind of made famous by my Steelers and Dick Lebeau... A blitz is rushing or bringing someone who isn't lined up as a defensive lineman. In this case, 2 DE drop to zone coverage at snap and 2 LB rush....obviously confusing our OL....

You are correct that Jones' man is on ground with speed rush around corner and Sirles does have his man pinned off. I counted, and from the moment that the ball touches Taylor's hand to the moment that he gets hit is 3 seconds.... 3 seconds is reaching the end of the qb window to release the ball...so it isn't like he held it for 4-6 seconds like everyone keeps referring too in other posts. I will guarantee that with our lack of playmakers at the WR spot, especially against an 8 man zone, that absolutely NO ONE was open at the 3 second mark.

I think if someone would watch "every sack", they would find that because of pressure, Taylor was unable to check down...and with lack of a true threat at WR, he didn't have time for his progressions ( although, I agree that he doesn't check down well), especially with less than the 2-3 second window doesn't exist with this line at times.

The speed of the LB's?

linefail.jpg

I think the fact that the LBs even though they didnt make the tackle had pushed our tackles back so far that Martinez froze/freaked out because of his lack of pocket presence and indesicion is what ruined the play. You dont always have to make a tackle to make an impact on a play.

Regardless.... this play was a diaster before the snap even happened. that falls on coaching, an inexpericenced QB, and an Oline that has been dominated all game.

Well right after the two Dl back off into their coverages, DJ Jones makes contact with his guy and Helu is watching him, Sirles has he man, though not making contact yet, As for Williams and Henry they are free up since the two dropped back leaving Caputo to handle the 305 lb NG, not a good match up considering Caputo's size. Naturally Caputo gets man handled, but that is why Williams and Henry move to help out, the first to notice Caputo needs help is Williams, Henry is too close to the original LoS to notice. Once Caputo goes down, Williams tries to take a side block from the right side to the NG and thats when Henry and Helu move on the NG. At the next point Martinez starts to step up, Sirles has things locked down on his man, Jones has he guy on the ground, but Williams is unsuccesful with his side block, Caputo is getting back up, Henry is taking a side block from the left side and Helu is moving up to block the NG. Now for the riveting part, Williams falls over because Henry made a bad block on the NG, Helu gets tossed by as he tries to chip block the guy and Caputo, for some reason after turning back around towards the NG lunges forward only to hit the ground. At this point Martinez stops from stepping up in the pocket and looks like he is going to throw and then he pulls it down and tries to take off running and but instead gets sacked.

Can't he pass it to an eligible offensive linemen. Like a shovel pass??

Yes, IF the offensive lineman "reported" as an eligible receiver. But, I am sure that ALL of the linemen in this play were not eligible. In fact, I am not sure NU has run a play with an eligible OL this year. But, to answer your question, yes, just not on this play.