LBs coach

Besides. . .he's getting passed over for these jobs but he's also being mentioned for them. You don't see that with other people. Vandy had over 125 applicants and they had him in the top 3.

I think it's Bo that is tossing Watson's name in there rather than Watson doing much of anything. None of the jobs he is being mentioned for are any good. All the AD's are smart on passing on him cause he isn't any good.

So back to this LB coach vacancy....

I think they'd be moving their search along with a bit of purpose.

They have Jamrog activated for recruiting so that's bought them some more time. I think they know who they're going to hire, but I think they have plan A, plan B, and plan C in place and the LB spot is dependent on the route they'd like to go. A two weeks ago it looked like it would be mid to late Feb or even after spring ball before they had everything in place. Then early last week it looked like this week everything could be in place and then toward the weekend everyone got tight lipped. Now I'm of the thinking that the first plan is back in action and we'll hear about stuff after signing day. Since Coleman dropped down the list a bit and Els is toward the top its not really going to effect recruiting much. I felt Coleman was probably a better recruiter just because he was used to dealing the HS kids. Jamrog knows most of the kids anyway since he coordinates with them when they travel and visit so its not like they'd be trying to figure him out while they're deciding if they want to come to NU.

I can't believe those two are actually names in the running. Ohio? NEW MEXICO STATE? /caps

Seriously, I know a lot of people raged on me for saying this before, but Nebraska is a top-tier football program and should not be settling for the likes of Steve Stanard and Ross Els... Don't get me wrong, these guys would be a great hire if Nebraska's goal is mediocrity, which may be the new standard if this coaching staff has its way.

I can't believe those two are actually names in the running. Ohio? NEW MEXICO STATE? /caps

Seriously, I know a lot of people raged on me for saying this before, but Nebraska is a top-tier football program and should not be settling for the likes of Steve Stanard and Ross Els... Don't get me wrong, these guys would be a great hire if Nebraska's goal is mediocrity, which may be the new standard if this coaching staff has its way.

I don't think Stanard is in consideration. And I think you're going to be pretty disappointed when its Els. He's pretty high energy and has special teams experience. I'd look for JP to get more responsibility on the defense as he turned down the Gators to stay here.

Els doesn't see like much, but hey. . . who would have though Carl was going to be any good either? Sometimes coaches don't seem that impressive because of the places they've coached and sometimes the reverse is true as well and they look impressive because of those stops when they're not that great of coaches.

I don't think Stanard is in consideration. And I think you're going to be pretty disappointed when its Els. He's pretty high energy and has special teams experience. I'd look for JP to get more responsibility on the defense as he turned down the Gators to stay here.

Els doesn't see like much, but hey. . . who would have though Carl was going to be any good either? Sometimes coaches don't seem that impressive because of the places they've coached and sometimes the reverse is true as well and they look impressive because of those stops when they're not that great of coaches.

Well, if I were a businessman with a top-tier company, I most certainly would not take a gamble on hiring an unproven individual that may or may not be successful. I would hire individuals with a record of proven success and at least hold them to the high production levels that they maintained at their previous place(s) of employment... Of course, with no inside info to go off of, it is entirely possible that Nebraska did go after highly successful LB coaches and these two Schmuckatellis are the only ones who would bite... Which would make me sad.

Well, if I were a businessman with a top-tier company, I most certainly would not take a gamble on hiring an unproven individual that may or may not be successful. I would hire individuals with a record of proven success and at least hold them to the high production levels that they maintained at their previous place(s) of employment... Of course, with no inside info to go off of, it is entirely possible that Nebraska did go after highly successful LB coaches and these two Schmuckatellis are the only ones who would bite... Which would make me sad.

You assume their a bad position coach because of the places they've worked in the past? I bet you there are a ton of good lower and middle managers (position coach equivalents) at Eron, or GM, or pick a bank on the bail out list. Are they to blame for the upper management's mistakes (coordinators and head coach equivalents)?

If that was the case why would anyone hire Rex Ryan? He started at the D 2 level and eventually got his shot at DC

under John Blake at Oklahoma which was a disaster, but after that he's done relatively well.

You assume their a bad position coach because of the places they've worked in the past? I bet you there are a ton of good lower and middle managers (position coach equivalents) at Eron, or GM, or pick a bank on the bail out list. Are they to blame for the upper management's mistakes (coordinators and head coach equivalents)?

If that was the case why would anyone hire Rex Ryan? He started at the D 2 level and eventually got his shot at DC

under John Blake at Oklahoma which was a disaster, but after that he's done relatively well.

Not saying that at all. I'm sure there are many great position coaches currently employed at smaller, less reputable universities. However, I do like your Rex Ryan story there.. Especially since Nebraska would be in the position of Oklahoma (which you admit was a "disaster"). Who cares if he goes on to coach the Jets if he can't produce on the level he's hired for? I know that there's a great feeling of "we discovered this guy's greatness," especially when said-person is a former Husker, but Nebraska SHOULD be a program where the coaching staff doesn't have to give the benefit of the doubt to anybody. Their attitude should be "we brought you in because you were successful, now go be successful or you're fired." Your attitude is "These guys might be successful, lets give them a shot and see." And if they're not, they invite a litany of excuses as to why they should still be employed.

Not saying that at all. I'm sure there are many great position coaches currently employed at smaller, less reputable universities. However, I do like your Rex Ryan story there.. Especially since Nebraska would be in the position of Oklahoma (which you admit was a "disaster"). Who cares if he goes on to coach the Jets if he can't produce on the level he's hired for? I know that there's a great feeling of "we discovered this guy's greatness," especially when said-person is a former Husker, but Nebraska SHOULD be a program where the coaching staff doesn't have to give the benefit of the doubt to anybody. Their attitude should be "we brought you in because you were successful, now go be successful or you're fired." Your attitude is "These guys might be successful, lets give them a shot and see." And if they're not, they invite a litany of excuses as to why they should still be employed.

Who said the staff is giving a guy the benefit of the doubt? Does one coaching at Ohio and the other at NMS make them any less of a coach then someone at USC or Florida, no. These guys very well could be just as good or better then anyone at top schools, but just haven't been givin the chance.

@Roark - What schools would qualify a coach to be Husker material? SEC / Big 10 / Big 12? LSU, Alabama, Oregon, Oklahoma, etc? You think a LB coach would leave their position at an already elite level institution to move their family to Lincoln, Nebraska and coach for tens of thousands of dollars less than where they are currently at? That's not even a lateral move...it's a step backwards any way you look at it.

What about from a place like Utah or Bowling Green? Not exactly a "Husker" type of programs right? Florida did OK poaching Utah's HC not long ago if you ask me, and his recent background Included Bowling Green. Using HC's as an example - how about Chip Kelly? He went from the dominant football power that was New Hampshire to the OC position at Oregon. Turned out ok for Oregon I think.

We'll just go down the line of the top 25...

Gene Chizik, dud at lowly Iowa State to national champion at Auburn in 2 years.

Gary Patterson, New Mexico to TCU - I think TCU is pretty happy w/ their hire from New Mexico. (I dont't think State is really that much farther down the pole)

Jim Harbaugh, University of San Diego before Stanford - not to bad of a catch from a lowly institution.

Jim Tressel, Youngstown State - that's right up there as one of the top programs in the country right?

I could continue on...nearly every great coach out there right now got their start because they had success at one of these such programs. You want a "proven" coach for Nebraska? GOOD LUCK. Lincoln isn't Hollywood, and the winters don't include time at the beach.