LSU to go after Bo in the forecast??

No way Bo goes to LSU. The only school I can see him leaving for is tOSU and now I believe that will be a very low posibility since we will be in the Big Ten.

Except after this year there is little to no chance he can take that tOSU job without first leaving NU for another school. Hopping from one Big10 program to another wouldn't be good. It's bad enough when you see assistants do it. I don't think tOSU would even consider him if he was coming off 2 MNCs for the simple fact they'd be buried in the media and buried in every Big10 decision for years. There is no way they could spin that one positively, and tOSU is as much of a brand as any school out there. Damaging the brand isn't worth it - they'll have their pick from a very solid pool of candidates when that job comes open. Bo won't be in the pool, not seriously anyway.

HOWEVER, the LSU jump would solve all those problems. That can't be ignored.

Then again, the tOSU brand is certainly on the decline as of recent. In 5 years after a few Bo beatdowns maybe the brand won't matter to them :)

Then again, the tOSU brand is certainly on the decline as of recent.

If winning back to back BCS bowls is declining then what is playing in back to back Holiday Bowls?

Read the statement. The tOSU brand is certainly on the decline. Fine me an article that speaks of OSU in a positive light, and I'll find you another 100 that talk about them negatively. That's a brand on decline as of recent. I wasn't talking about winning. Read before responding.

If winning back to back BCS bowls is declining then what is playing in back to back Holiday Bowls?

Read the statement. The tOSU brand is certainly on the decline. Fine me an article that speaks of OSU in a positive light, and I'll find you another 100 that talk about them negatively. That's a brand on decline as of recent. I wasn't talking about winning. Read before responding.

Hmmm. Sounds like a semantics game. I'm pretty sure that the universal formula for rising or falling stock in terms of collegiate football programs is ALL predicated on winning. Brand gains strength when stock rises. Stock rises when team wins. Therefore brand expansion = team winning.

From this perspective, anyway.

Hmmm. Sounds like a semantics game. I'm pretty sure that the universal formula for rising or falling stock in terms of collegiate football programs is ALL predicated on winning. Brand gains strength when stock rises. Stock rises when team wins. Therefore brand expansion = team winning.

Which is why Texas, after a 5-7 season will still continue to sell more merchandise than nearly any other college program?

This is public perception, which fuels the "brand" that Ohio State has worked years to create. The same thing the Big10 bases their "prestige" on. The Big10 is a brand, and any negative publicity hurts the brand regardless of wins or losses. Look at Miami, they had a lot of winning...but they have a crappy brand and therefore an empty stadium after just a few years of losing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/01/05/sugar.bowl.ohiostate.arkansas/index.html?eref=sihp

Thanks to the events of the past month, you've forfeited the right to the moral superiority you've enjoyed over the SEC. You can be as good as the SEC on the field, but the human beings in the Big Ten's premier athletic department are no better than the human beings in the athletic departments at the football factories in the SEC.

Try to look at it from a purely marketing perspective, and forget about football wins/losses. Remember, this is a business first and foremost. Which is why Bo to tOSU wouldn't be good. It would be bad for business, my OP.

Which is why Texas, after a 5-7 season will still continue to sell more merchandise than nearly any other college program?

No, Texas will sell merchandise because they have a gigantic fan base and they have enjoyed years of success prior to the disastrous '10 campaign. One bad year does not undo a strong 8-10 year run which included division championships, conference championships, a national championship and another NC game appearence...last year. That is a lot of recent success. Texas fans also know that the talent will always be there for them, and therefore they will always have a chance as long as they have strong coaching. Hence, goodbye Mr. Davis. Their brand has been built up by winning and by the emperor's chair they sit on in their conference. That chair enables them to have great faith in their chances for future success (read: wins) because they know all conference decisions will benefit them, even at the expense of other teams in the league. Therefore, the optimistic among them can write off this year as a glitch. And go buy some ugly orange shirts.

So I can only assume you mean their “Brand” is on decline because of the players not being suspended for the bowl game because that appears to be the only thing that would cause their “brand” to decline. It wouldn’t be caused by playing in a BCS bowl game every year or playing in the field of 64 every year.

Does that mean in 1995 that the Nebraska “brand” was declining because T.O. played a lot of questionable character kids? I would say the Nebraska “brand” was still alive and kicking until the punch in the face at the end of 2001.

I went back and re-read your original post and it mentions nothing of how or why their “brand” is in decline. So since I can only assume that the “brand” is based off of national perception I still say the Ohio State “brand” trumps the Nebraska “brand” and has for quite some time.

In 5 years after a few Bo beatdowns maybe the brand won't matter to them

If winning isn’t what was being talked about with their “brand” then why mention the above in your post?