Don't Forget To Watch!

BIG ERN

Cody Green was listed as an athlete and recruited as an athlete rather than a QB. Carnes was probably recruited as a QB but basically only by Western Kentucky. I'm not counting Starling because it's highly doubtful he ever steps foot in Lincoln. Turner was recruited as an athlete rather than a QB.

A&M recruited Cody as a QB. Spano was Okie Lite's QB. Brion Carnes was South Florida's QB commit and Skip Holtz was chastised by many in the USF fan base and family for not continuing his recruitment. He probably would have had many more knocking on his door if he had not committed so early. In fact I believe Clemson among others were starting to go after Brion fairly hard in the end

I guess my point is we tear these guys down once they get here because they aren't pinpoint passers. When Cody Green was recruited, all the analysts said he was extremely raw as a passer because he missed one year of high school football to injury. Martinez was recruited as an athlete not as a QB. Turner is recruited as an athlete. Yet, everyone expects these guys to be great passers when in reality they never have been.

This is the point.

I don't remember if A&M really recruited Cody as QB or not, but the important thing is we have had some misses in QB recruiting, and we have pulled in a lot of project type guys, because this is Bo's vision for what he wants out of a QB.

Green, Starling, Turner, all of these guys are project passers to different degrees, and Martinez was a project QB in a big way. Carnes looks like a terrific get for us because he is more an exception and could be a true dual-threat. Spano was a dual-threat guy too but I don't know the story on him, and in any case it's a moot point at this point.

Basically: if we keep getting these kinds of QBs, do not be shocked when many of them struggle to really develop as passers.

Cody Green was listed as an athlete and recruited as an athlete rather than a QB. Carnes was probably recruited as a QB but basically only by Western Kentucky. I'm not counting Starling because it's highly doubtful he ever steps foot in Lincoln. Turner was recruited as an athlete rather than a QB.

A&M recruited Cody as a QB. Spano was Okie Lite's QB. Brion Carnes was South Florida's QB commit and Skip Holtz was chastised by many in the USF fan base and family for not continuing his recruitment. He probably would have had many more knocking on his door if he had not committed so early. In fact I believe Clemson among others were starting to go after Brion fairly hard in the end

I didn't include Spano because if we're all honest here he'll never see the field. Carnes was committed to Western Kentucky. Seriously, we're in contention with Western Kentucky and should get all warm and fuzzy that he chose us? There are a lot of high profile recruits that commit early, but other schools still continue to talk to them and recruit them. From what I've read and understand, Bo recruits a certain type of athlete for the defense. He recruits a specific type like a Lavonte David where he could play in many different positions whether it be linebacker, corner, or safety. Unfortunately, it appears he recruits quarterbacks in the same manner. It appears as though we're just throwing stuff against the wall with regards to quarterbacks to see which one sticks. It might work if we were running TO's triple option, but I don't see it working running a zone read because the QB still has to pass the ball. Maybe we'll eventually find a QB like Robert Griffin or Denard Robinson recruiting this way.

Seriously, we're in contention with Western Kentucky and should get all warm and fuzzy that he chose us?

So you're basing how good Carnes is because it was between us and Western Kentucky and not between us and say a USC or a Florida??? That's how you base your decisions on how good a player may or may not be???

I'm glad you're not our recruiting coordinator... It doesn't work that way.

Speaking of which Bo had some pretty good things to say about Carnes passing ability.

Bo on Carnes 2 weeks ago in the Lincoln Journal Star:

And while fans and media spent the fall with a microscope on Taylor Martinez, Carnes went about his business and showed he has the potential to be a factor here.

"He's a very strong, accurate passer," Pelini said. "He makes some great throws against us."

It goes on:

The throws are one thing. But it is Carnes' diligence to detail that has impressed just as much.

"I like him because he is such a conscientious football player," Pelini said. "A lot of guys spend their year on the scout team just going through the motions and doing what the card says. But Brion competes. He competes every play. That's just who he is by nature. And he's out to please. He's constantly wanting feedback from the defensive coaches, asking, 'Hey, am I giving you a good look? What can I do better?' He would study the quarterback for that week and try to emulate him. He's that kind of kid."