The 2011 QB Thread

It seems pretty clear that we put Marty in the starting role in 2010 to prepare him for the 2011 season. I've never heard any "insider" among us definitively state that Lee was incapable of playing last year. The decision was made with the future in mind, not just 2010.

I'm starting to believe this - which is so sad to me when you look back at our schedule. Running the table was certainly not out of the question. Oh well.

It seems pretty clear that we put Marty in the starting role in 2010 to prepare him for the 2011 season. I've never heard any "insider" among us definitively state that Lee was incapable of playing last year. The decision was made with the future in mind, not just 2010.

I'm starting to believe this - which is so sad to me when you look back at our schedule. Running the table was certainly not out of the question. Oh well.

I was positive Lee would start this year. It was possible to win every game with a competent QB at the helm. I'd love for someone to come in and tell us that Lee really, truly was incapable of running the team this year, but so far... nothing. I ran into a very healthy-looking Lee at a store somewhere in the mid-point of the season, and he said he was fine, ready to play.

I have no doubt a healthy Lee, fresh from his experience gained in the trenches last year, could have led us to a BCS game. He's not a sexy QB, but he could get the job done, a lot like Zac Taylor - just gutting it out. Martinez was flashy and showed glimpses of what he may do in the future, and it was fun while it lasted, but after he got hurt it was all over.

I'm not upset we went with Martinez now that the season's over, because we got him a lot of experience for next year. And when Marty got hurt, Zac (apparently) got hurt, too, pretty much for good. But it would have been nice to have Lee start the season, then bring in Martinez if/when Lee got hurt.

The most logical thing I can think of is that they didn't want to have to start Big 10 play with a wholly untested QB, and that was the tipping point in the decision-making process. If it's not that... we have bigger problems at Nebraska than Cotton and Watson.

That wouldn't be logical at all, and I don't think Bo was thinking that. If he were, he should be fired. Giving up things this year just so we will have one player be more seasoned heading into next?

I think he saw Taylor as a spark that would push the offense - and the team - over the top.

Rather than building for the future, I think he saw Taylor as the piece that would ignite the engine this year and bandage over any other issues the offense might have with his gamebreaking ability. I still see the decision at the beginning of the year as a calculated gamble, for this year.

Barring a MASSIVE improvement by Cody Green then it'll be Martinez. But if Bubba Starling miraculously ends up coming here then I can see him being the starter...kid has the attitude and the skill to pull it off

lotta people said the same thing about cody. Starling is a different style of qb than Cody though so who knows

That wouldn't be logical at all, and I don't think Bo was thinking that. If he were, he should be fired. Giving up things this year just so we will have one player be more seasoned heading into next?

I think he saw Taylor as a spark that would push the offense - and the team - over the top.

Rather than building for the future, I think he saw Taylor as the piece that would ignite the engine this year and bandage over any other issues the offense might have with his gamebreaking ability. I still see the decision at the beginning of the year as a calculated gamble, for this year.

I think he saw both. There's no way they weren't thinking of 2011 in August when they made their decision. If the race truly was "neck and neck" and all three QBs were truly equal, as they said, what would be the tipping point that would make Taylor the guy? It can't only be his game-breaking ability, because they could bring that off the bench any time they liked. It had to be something else. Getting him experience in a relatively weak year makes perfect sense.

I can't say for sure Knapp, as my guess is no better than yours. But I do think it really was just his game-breaking ability. The scrimmage(s?) where he tore up our defense for big runs over and over. Whatever it was, something changed radically about the criteria in the midst of fall camp, and the outlook on Taylor changed from what you said - guy to get the ball in his hands, coming off the bench at times - to helmsman of the team.

What do you mean by relatively weak year?

I think Bo saw this as a championship year opportunity and went after that as hard as he could.

I can't say for sure Knapp, as my guess is no better than yours. But I do think it really was just his game-breaking ability. The scrimmage(s?) where he tore up our defense for big runs over and over. Whatever it was, something changed radically about the criteria in the midst of fall camp, and the outlook on Taylor changed from what you said - guy to get the ball in his hands, coming off the bench at times - to helmsman of the team.

What do you mean by relatively weak year?

I think Bo saw this as a championship year opportunity and went after that as hard as he could.

I think you nailed it zoogies. Or at least that's what I've heard several times.

The scrimmages where Tmart left Bo's blackshirts in the dust was a huge eye opener and turning point(s). Bo's blackshirts can move pretty well and they were impressed.

This year was set up to be the weakest in recent memory. Have you forgotten all the talk about how ridiculously weak our schedule was supposed to be last summer?

Thanks; was just wondering. I actually did forget somewhat. I'm also not sure it turned out that way, the number of Top 15 teams we faced this year.

Are you saying, then, that Bo looked at the schedule and figured we could probably get away with a freshman this year more than most years? It is probably true, but I don't know if I agree that Bo would look at things that way. Again, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm saying that's what best fits the circumstances, in my opinion. If that's not the case, the decision was, "Screw Lee, even if he's healthy he's not starting." I have a really difficult time believing this was the thought process, especially with how loyal players are always saying Bo is. Zac himself never said a discouraging word about Bo, and believe me, I asked him. Maybe he was being politick - who knows?

The sum of the decision was not 2011. Certainly Taylor HAD TO show something in practice that made it clear he could lead this team this year, and apparently he did. Combine ability today (albeit raw) with the promise of an experienced QB heading into the Big 10, and that's where I think the decision came from.

But, like you said, it's all just opinion. Who knows.

....but i have read on this board and others that some fans are predicting that taylor martinez is the future of NU football for the next couple of years. in my opinion, i just dont see it. if anyone listens to colin cowherd, its called the "eyeball" test. at first, when no teams knew about him, he was unstoppable. then, teams got film on him. then, brick wall. i will just say this. he cannot juke anyone, he cannot run anyone over, he goes down on first contact, he is terrible in the pocket, he zeros in on the number one reciever and if he isnt open he panics and makes terrible descions. the point i am trying to make is that he is not a QB. he is just an athlete playing QB that happens to be a fast sprinter. the one factor that he lacks very much is a leader. a player cannot learn this, cannot be taught this, and if a player does not have this at the QB position, that team is in trouble. NU may be in trouble if one of the new guys dont earn the starting role at QB this coming season. just my opinion. anyone agree or disagree? :dunno

Can you name a lot of QB's that have these jukes and running power that you're talking about? Aside from Vick, I don't know of a lot of QB's that have running back moves

I think he saw both. There's no way they weren't thinking of 2011 in August when they made their decision. If the race truly was "neck and neck" and all three QBs were truly equal, as they said, what would be the tipping point that would make Taylor the guy? It can't only be his game-breaking ability, because they could bring that off the bench any time they liked. It had to be something else. Getting him experience in a relatively weak year makes perfect sense.

I disagree. Remember what Bo has always said " We don't worry about next year or the year after. We plan for the next game and for this season"

Who knows, maybe Carnes comes in and wow's everyone with a Tayloresque spring and fall camp.

I disagree. Remember what Bo has always said " We don't worry about next year or the year after. We plan for the next game and for this season"

Who knows, maybe Carnes comes in and wow's everyone with a Tayloresque spring and fall camp.

Remember when Bo was saying Lee wasn't injured, or Martinez what 100%? Or how about all the other "coach-speak" he tosses around? :) Take what comes out of his mouth with a grain of salt.

Remember when Bo was saying Lee wasn't injured, or Martinez what 100%? Or how about all the other "coach-speak" he tosses around? :) Take what comes out of his mouth with a grain of salt.

My least favorite Bo-ism. DO NOT LIKE.

And in reality there isn't much of a point to it. I know everyone says he's bad with the media. They say it's his right as the coach. They say the media are compariable to that nasty stuff that builds up between your toes. But he honestly goes out of his way to be "BO" with the media. Talk about honesty, loyalty, trustworthy and all those other boy scout characteristics that Bo preaches...he doesn't display any of them when it comes to the media, and ultimately to the fans, since that's how we get our feed during the week.

Just once this year I would have liked him to say "Martinez certainly isn't 100% and it's impacting our offensive strategy and production, but Lee isn't ready to go either so Green is certainly seeing so more snaps and will be ready at gametime if Martinez can't go."

Instead he says "Martinez is improving and it will be a gametime decision".

• Fire 2