The 2011 QB Thread

taylor-martinez-p1.jpg

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Quarterback Taylor Martinez is returning to Nebraska for his sophomore season, and he wants to quash speculation that he's thinking of transferring.

Casey Martinez, Taylor's father, e-mailed a statement to The Associated Press on Wednesday in which Taylor said he's looking forward to "using these past year's experiences and challenges to help me become a better all-around person, football player and leader." LINK

Is this the article in the OWH today? (If so, it's at cnnsi.com too)

yep!

Does anyone else think it's funny our redshirt frosh QB "wants to quash speculation that he's thinking of transferring" before his sophomore season? If you step back and look at the fact this message was even sent to the media in the first place, you'd have a hard time thinking of any other player this has happened with...for any team in the nation. How strange.

Internet starts rumor of Taylor Martinez transferring.

Internet spreads rumor of Taylor Martinez transferring like wildfire.

Bo Pelini denies rumor of Taylor Martinez transferring.

Internet responds, "That's just coachspeak, Martinez is definitely transferring."

Taylor Martinez issues statement saying, "I'm not transferring, I look forward to playing at Nebraska next season."

Internet responds, "Ah HA! Why would you issue a statement if you were never thinking about transferring, Taylor??!!"

:facepalm:

• Fire 1

There is a lot of hate for Martinez in this thread and I don't get it.

I thought that Lee would be the starter coming into 2010 but was excited to see a mobile QB in Martinez. Lets look at the facts here. Martinez starts as a freshman and most of us said that he wouldn't be successful and have a lot of freshman mistakes and he'll learn from those mistakes and get better. Martinez thru 7 games as done more than what people expected out of him and his name was being thrown around for the Heisman midway thru the season. Once Martinez gets injured TWICE, people are quick to bash him and the way he has performed in the last three starts.

He's done a lot in his first year than what any of us expected he would do but yet most of you are quick to bash him and bitch about him. He's the strongest candidate to start next year so get used to it.

His name was being thrown around for the Heisman for performing well against Western Kentucky,Idaho,Washington,South Dakota State,Kansas State and Oklahoma State. I believe any of our top 3 quarterbacks could perform well against those teams. Speed only gets you so far until you play a good to great defense. There is no strongest candidate to start next year, there is a lot of time and we have enough QB's that there will be plenty of competition at the position. If Watson is shown the door and a new OC comes in you have no idea what type of offense we will be running. For all you know Martinez may be least suited for a new offensive scheme.

Even if they change OC's, I'm about 90% sure they'll be sticking with the spread option. That's where they've been moving, that seems to be what Bo wants. If Watson leaves, Bo is going to find somebody to run the offense he wants them to run.

I thought that Lee would be the starter coming into 2010 but was excited to see a mobile QB in Martinez. Lets look at the facts here. Martinez starts as a freshman and most of us said that he wouldn't be successful and have a lot of freshman mistakes and he'll learn from those mistakes and get better. Martinez thru 7 games as done more than what people expected out of him and his name was being thrown around for the Heisman midway thru the season. Once Martinez gets injured TWICE, people are quick to bash him and the way he has performed in the last three starts.

He's done a lot in his first year than what any of us expected he would do but yet most of you are quick to bash him and bitch about him. He's the strongest candidate to start next year so get used to it.

His name was being thrown around for the Heisman for performing well against Western Kentucky,Idaho,Washington,South Dakota State,Kansas State and Oklahoma State. I believe any of our top 3 quarterbacks could perform well against those teams. Speed only gets you so far until you play a good to great defense. There is no strongest candidate to start next year, there is a lot of time and we have enough QB's that there will be plenty of competition at the position. If Watson is shown the door and a new OC comes in you have no idea what type of offense we will be running. For all you know Martinez may be least suited for a new offensive scheme.

Even if they change OC's, I'm about 90% sure they'll be sticking with the spread option. That's where they've been moving, that seems to be what Bo wants. If Watson leaves, Bo is going to find somebody to run the offense he wants them to run.

I totally agree with you that Bo will find an OC that runs an offense he wants. I don't think it will be so laced with spread option plays though as I was under the impression he wanted straight ahead smash mouth running style offense.

the kid is one dimensional, like Watson, the zone read is all he knows...that's hardly a "multiple offense"..without being a decent passer and game manager, we are screwed with him leading the charge again in 2011.....if he starts he will likely be injured again, then back to the future, again.

I guess vs Okie St where he threw five TD passes he forgot to be one dimensional.

"Game manager".....that is absolutely the most over-rated term I've ever heard. We had a "game manager" at qb last year and that offense was far, far worse than this year. That's saying a lot but the numbers don't lie. Especially considering we had a tougher schedule this year.

I can only assume "game manager" = "zero dimensional".

• Fire 1

I guess vs Okie St where he threw five TD passes he forgot to be one dimensional.

"Game manager".....that is absolutely the most over-rated term I've ever heard. We had a "game manager" at qb last year and that offense was far, far worse than this year. That's saying a lot but the numbers don't lie. Especially considering we had a tougher schedule this year.

I can only assume "game manager" = "zero dimensional".

And we were a top 5 program at one point during the season..okie state is rated 17th at the end and us..i don't even want to know. Their defense gave up many points during the season. 8-5 Troy lost to Okie state 41-38, like I said when real defenses came around he looked like a high school qb with speed. You can jump on his nuts all you want but until he finds a way to move the ball against a good defense i'm skeptical.

Link ---> 2010 Defensive Passing Stats

Pretty impressive year.

Anyone hear about TMarts replacement at Corona Centennial, QB Michael Eubank. This kid is tearing it up.

The senior finished the season with over 4,100 yards of total offense and 41 total touchdowns — 22 passing and 19 rushing. He completed 67% of his passes which is second all-time for a Centennial quarterback.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2010/12/30/corona-centennial-qb-wins-cbsla-com-player-of-the-year-award/

If they want to do spread then they need a spread guy. They can't keep an OC like Watson who has his roots embedded in the WCO but is trying to teach the spread.

Furthermore, this spread attack is also what Nebraska had to rely on in the '08 season when the offense was struggling a bit with the tight ends and fullbacks in.

If they want to do spread then they need a spread guy. They can't keep an OC like Watson who has his roots embedded in the WCO but is trying to teach the spread.

Furthermore, this spread attack is also what Nebraska had to rely on in the '08 season when the offense was struggling a bit with the tight ends and fullbacks in.

Keep in mind there's a difference between spread and spread option. What we ran in 2008 was a spread offense that had more in common with other offenses in the Big 12 like Texas and Missouri than with the spread option game of Oregon and Michigan and Florida.

I agree that if we're going to be a spread option team, we should find a spread option offensive coordinator. But the offense we're talking about is really not much like the 2008 offense.

Fully agree we need an OC who has good experience with the spread option. I'd love to see him have the authority to assemble the staff he wants too.

I'd want to see them have that authority to an extent... But the problem is that guys like Ron Brown and Tim Beck have done pretty good work while they've been here, and Bo is loyal to his assistants. I'd imagine that the OC would have some say over who his position coaches are, but I don't see Bo just saying, "Do whatever the heck you want with these other guys."

I think it's a moot point anyways, because more and more I'm thinking the offensive staff is going to be the same next year.

If Taylor takes all this time to become a better QB, and actually watches film, learns the position he could be great.

I know that what i am about to say next will get ripped apart, but follow along. I want Taylor to go spend a week with Michael Vick. Vick has changed the way he plays, and i think Taylor could learn from him. Vick use to just run..run..run but now he uses his legs to open things up for his arm. I think he could teach Taylor a thing or two as a QB.

Taylor needs to show dedication to get better.

Fully agree we need an OC who has good experience with the spread option. I'd love to see him have the authority to assemble the staff he wants too.

I'd want to see them have that authority to an extent... But the problem is that guys like Ron Brown and Tim Beck have done pretty good work while they've been here, and Bo is loyal to his assistants. I'd imagine that the OC would have some say over who his position coaches are, but I don't see Bo just saying, "Do whatever the heck you want with these other guys."

I think it's a moot point anyways, because more and more I'm thinking the offensive staff is going to be the same next year.

Jeeesh....I just get off suicide watch snd you tell me that.

Jeeesh....I just get off suicide watch snd you tell me that.

That's really funny. Nice work,

Martinez will start every game until his third interception, fourth fumble, 30th sack and 12th rushing yard, only to be replaced by Green, who will play until his pass/completion ratio has reached .05 and he has fumbled no less than three times, who will be succeeded by Carnes... but by then the game is most likely out of reach.... Seriously, I hear that Bo has a flow chart and everything.