The 2011 QB Thread

How could this be any kind of surprise? This may have been a story midseason. I'm not knocking him, but he is now damaged goods. He doesn't have any place else to go.

... really? You think nobody else in the country would want Martinez on their team?

Any program that would be considered significant....no

I'm guessing Oregon would take a look. Or any other team that runs the spread option...

Man, I hope it's not Martinez, too. After all, the guy only ranked 60th in the nation in rushing. 69th in the nation in total offense. 141st in the country in scoring. With a high ankle sprain for half the season. And turf toe. Against the 28th toughest schedule in the country. As a Freshman.

I would hate to see that guy lead our team again, with another year of training under his belt. What a disaster that would be.

My gut says Martinez would be better suited as a receiver on offense. If he can take the next step hey, I'm all for admitting I'm wrong and having him as a quarterback but right now my mind says teams have pretty much have figured out how to defend him and I don't see him turning into a true threat in the air ever.

If I am wrong I am all for eating my words. Like I said next year is really going to be interesting. Especially if he gets hurt again.

Man, I hope it's not Martinez, too. After all, the guy only ranked 60th in the nation in rushing. 69th in the nation in total offense. 141st in the country in scoring. With a high ankle sprain for half the season. And turf toe. Against the 28th toughest schedule in the country. As a Freshman.

I would hate to see that guy lead our team again, with another year of training under his belt. What a disaster that would be.

I have my reasons. And suffice it say, they go a bit deeper than where he ranks in those categories. Obviously it's tough to compare him to the new faces we'll see next year, but based on some things I've heard, he has A LOT to learn as a QB and as a leader in order to steer this offense in the right direction. To me, that's not promising and not what we need from our starting QB. That's not to say he can't or won't make some big strides in his play at QB because that's definitely possible. But, I get a sour feeling about him that I don't have about any of our other QBs. And what if his teammates have some of those same feelings? Would they stand up for Martinez as their QB? I'm not so sure.

I have my reasons. And suffice it say, they go a bit deeper than where he ranks in those categories. Obviously it's tough to compare him to the new faces we'll see next year, but based on some things I've heard, he has A LOT to learn as a QB and as a leader in order to steer this offense in the right direction. To me, that's not promising and not what we need from our starting QB. That's not to say he can't or won't make some big strides in his play at QB because that's definitely possible. But, I get a sour feeling about him that I don't have about any of our other QBs. And what if his teammates have some of those same feelings? Would they stand up for Martinez as their QB? I'm not so sure.

I hope you know I was mostly having fun with my sarcasm. I think you're right about the leadership qualities that need to develop. Way too many signs of disconnect from the rest of the team for my liking.

Marty is not your typical kid. Maybe he can still win being atypical. Maybe we need to change. I'm not going to predict a starter other than Martinez without some pretty solid proof, though.

Of course, I'm the guy who adamantly refused until just about kickoff vs. W. Kentucky to believe that anyone but Lee was going to start, and I had a litany of excuses why he'd be the guy back in August, so maybe I don't know Jack? :unsure:

I hope you know I was mostly having fun with my sarcasm. I think you're right about the leadership qualities that need to develop. Way too many signs of disconnect from the rest of the team for my liking.

Marty is not your typical kid. Maybe he can still win being atypical. Maybe we need to change. I'm not going to predict a starter other than Martinez without some pretty solid proof, though.

Of course, I'm the guy who adamantly refused until just about kickoff vs. W. Kentucky to believe that anyone but Lee was going to start, and I had a litany of excuses why he'd be the guy back in August, so maybe I don't know Jack? :unsure:

No worries about the sarcasm. Didn't mean to get defensive on you there. Just wanted to back up why I hope our 2011 starter is NOT Martinez.

Honestly it seems like the QBs entering the program have loads of talent + leadership qualities, and that's a dangerous combo, which may not be enough for Martinez to overcome if this QB battle is truly meant to be competitive to the point where the best man wins.

I'm not sure about those coming into the program as having loads of talent at QB. They may have loads of talent in terms of athletic ability. What position did our QB recruit play in the All Armour game again? I have a very difficult time seeing us bench our freshman all american for yet another extremely raw freshman QB next year. I could see Cody maybe dethroning Martinez but only if our wide receiver increase their vertical's by at least ten feet.

I'm not sure about those coming into the program as having loads of talent at QB. They may have loads of talent in terms of athletic ability. What position did our QB recruit play in the All Armour game again? I have a very difficult time seeing us bench our freshman all american for yet another extremely raw freshman QB next year. I could see Cody maybe dethroning Martinez but only if our wide receiver increase their vertical's by at least ten feet.

Good point about the bolded. I meant to include Carnes when I said those "QBs entering the program." He's been playing QB much longer than Martinez (started as a frosh in HS) and may not be as "raw." Time will tell, but methinks he'll have much more polished skills as a QB than Martinez.

My gut says Martinez would be better suited as a receiver on offense. If he can take the next step hey, I'm all for admitting I'm wrong and having him as a quarterback but right now my mind says teams have pretty much have figured out how to defend him and I don't see him turning into a true threat in the air ever.

If I am wrong I am all for eating my words. Like I said next year is really going to be interesting. Especially if he gets hurt again.

What would your gut be saying if our receivers actually caught passes against Texas, he did not get hurt against Missouri and our O-line actually protected him?

• Fire 1

What would your gut be saying if our receivers actually caught passes against Texas, he did not get hurt against Missouri and our O-line actually protected him?

I know what I would be saying on Jan 10th...."damn the weather is nice down here in Glendale."