The 2011 QB Thread

What I think is odd is that his dad Casey Martinez, was the one who sent the letter to the media. Like what was mentioned on the radio today, it's hard to take a letter personal and serious when it wasn't even written by the person who supposedly wrote it!

How in the {:content:}amp;#* would you have any idea who wrote it, you have to kidding me with this. His dad sent it, better make some stupid crap up about how didn't write it, get over yourself dude. I fairly sure Taylor wrote it.

And I can reverse this and ask you...how do you know he didn't write it? Funny how that works, isn't it? May I suggest we take a casual stroll to the smack room?

And so could his friend/mom/coach can't anyone just believe stuff, tell them to send me the password. And I will crush your hopes and dreams.

LOL ok internet tough guy, whatever you say.

I was just having fun, now you made it not fun.

There is a lot of hate for Martinez in this thread and I don't get it.

I thought that Lee would be the starter coming into 2010 but was excited to see a mobile QB in Martinez. Lets look at the facts here. Martinez starts as a freshman and most of us said that he wouldn't be successful and have a lot of freshman mistakes and he'll learn from those mistakes and get better. Martinez thru 7 games as done more than what people expected out of him and his name was being thrown around for the Heisman midway thru the season. Once Martinez gets injured TWICE, people are quick to bash him and the way he has performed in the last three starts.

He's done a lot in his first year than what any of us expected he would do but yet most of you are quick to bash him and bitch about him. He's the strongest candidate to start next year so get used to it.

I thought that Lee would be the starter coming into 2010 but was excited to see a mobile QB in Martinez. Lets look at the facts here. Martinez starts as a freshman and most of us said that he wouldn't be successful and have a lot of freshman mistakes and he'll learn from those mistakes and get better. Martinez thru 7 games as done more than what people expected out of him and his name was being thrown around for the Heisman midway thru the season. Once Martinez gets injured TWICE, people are quick to bash him and the way he has performed in the last three starts.

He's done a lot in his first year than what any of us expected he would do but yet most of you are quick to bash him and bitch about him. He's the strongest candidate to start next year so get used to it.

the kid is one dimensional, like Watson, the zone read is all he knows...that's hardly a "multiple offense"..without being a decent passer and game manager, we are screwed with him leading the charge again in 2011.....if he starts he will likely be injured again, then back to the future, again.

His name was being thrown around for the Heisman for performing well against Western Kentucky,Idaho,Washington,South Dakota State,Kansas State and Oklahoma State. I believe any of our top 3 quarterbacks could perform well against those teams. Speed only gets you so far until you play a good to great defense. There is no strongest candidate to start next year, there is a lot of time and we have enough QB's that there will be plenty of competition at the position. If Watson is shown the door and a new OC comes in you have no idea what type of offense we will be running. For all you know Martinez may be least suited for a new offensive scheme.

If you put a gun to my head, I would say <1st string QB> starts first couple games but is outplayed by <backup QB> when he gets his chances, and therefore <backup QB> will be our main guy heading into the 3rd-4th games and beyond. Feel <new recruit QB> would be in too late and will redshirt, and <frosh QB> probably won't be ready even with the spring but could see him ending up at receiver just to get him on the field to use his athleticism.

The backup QB is ALWAYS the most popular player for the fans. You can take almost any QB discussion from any year and make it similar to what I've done to this post. (This is not directed at the quoted poster, but the fanbase in general, including myself.)

Last time I rooted for the backup quarterback to get the job his name was Joe Ganz. Since then, I am skeptical of what I see and I try to evaluate the position I see best. What do we really know about anybody who backed up Martinez this year. How will the other quarterbacks handle starting?

Hopefully, the coaches will find the guy they want to do the job right and we kick some tail next year.

We just need cohesion as an offensive unit. It doesn't matter to me who the quarterback is as long as he is a leader and doesn't make excuses. The offense needs somebody who oozes confidence no matter what the situation is as it will rub off on the other players. I see Cody Green as the most prepared to be a leader but only time will tell.

We need a leader who can make plays. No matter how strong a guy's character is, if he can't make the plays he needs to make to help his team win, the other guys are going to question his leadership.

Cody may have the character, but I've yet to see any evidence that he has the playmaking ability. He has a lot of work to do on that.

His name was being thrown around for the Heisman for performing well against Western Kentucky,Idaho,Washington,South Dakota State,Kansas State and Oklahoma State. I believe any of our top 3 quarterbacks could perform well against those teams. Speed only gets you so far until you play a good to great defense. There is no strongest candidate to start next year, there is a lot of time and we have enough QB's that there will be plenty of competition at the position. If Watson is shown the door and a new OC comes in you have no idea what type of offense we will be running. For all you know Martinez may be least suited for a new offensive scheme.

yep just beat a top ten program with only 2 losses on the year the other one being OU. Oh and he beat them with his arm, showing alot of potential to be a perfectly capable passer. I will say it again, his sprained ankle was severe. Try thorwing off a sprained ankle, your not going to be able to push off of it making it impossible to be accurate. Hence the last few games. He shouldnt have been playing. He will be back next year making you all eat crow.

taylor-martinez-p1.jpg

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Quarterback Taylor Martinez is returning to Nebraska for his sophomore season, and he wants to quash speculation that he's thinking of transferring.

Casey Martinez, Taylor's father, e-mailed a statement to The Associated Press on Wednesday in which Taylor said he's looking forward to "using these past year's experiences and challenges to help me become a better all-around person, football player and leader." LINK

Is this the article in the OWH today? (If so, it's at cnnsi.com too)

yep!

Does anyone else think it's funny our redshirt frosh QB "wants to quash speculation that he's thinking of transferring" before his sophomore season? If you step back and look at the fact this message was even sent to the media in the first place, you'd have a hard time thinking of any other player this has happened with...for any team in the nation. How strange.

taylor-martinez-p1.jpg

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Quarterback Taylor Martinez is returning to Nebraska for his sophomore season, and he wants to quash speculation that he's thinking of transferring.

Casey Martinez, Taylor's father, e-mailed a statement to The Associated Press on Wednesday in which Taylor said he's looking forward to "using these past year's experiences and challenges to help me become a better all-around person, football player and leader." LINK

Is this the article in the OWH today? (If so, it's at cnnsi.com too)

yep!

Does anyone else think it's funny our redshirt frosh QB "wants to quash speculation that he's thinking of transferring" before his sophomore season? If you step back and look at the fact this message was even sent to the media in the first place, you'd have a hard time thinking of any other player this has happened with...for any team in the nation. How strange.

Easy there....if ya start questioning the validity of the letter the mob will come after you as well!

yep just beat a top ten program with only 2 losses on the year the other one being OU. Oh and he beat them with his arm, showing alot of potential to be a perfectly capable passer. I will say it again, his sprained ankle was severe. Try thorwing off a sprained ankle, your not going to be able to push off of it making it impossible to be accurate. Hence the last few games. He shouldnt have been playing. He will be back next year making you all eat crow.

And we were a top 5 program at one point during the season..okie state is rated 17th at the end and us..i don't even want to know. Their defense gave up many points during the season. 8-5 Troy lost to Okie state 41-38, like I said when real defenses came around he looked like a high school qb with speed. You can jump on his nuts all you want but until he finds a way to move the ball against a good defense i'm skeptical.

What I think is odd is that his dad Casey Martinez, was the one who sent the letter to the media. Like what was mentioned on the radio today, it's hard to take a letter personal and serious when it wasn't even written by the person who supposedly wrote it!

How in the {:content:}amp;#* would you have any idea who wrote it, you have to kidding me with this. His dad sent it, better make some stupid crap up about how didn't write it, get over yourself dude. I fairly sure Taylor wrote it.

And I can reverse this and ask you...how do you know he didn't write it? Funny how that works, isn't it? May I suggest we take a casual stroll to the smack room?

And so could his friend/mom/coach can't anyone just believe stuff, tell them to send me the password. And I will crush your hopes and dreams.

LOL ok internet tough guy, whatever you say.

I was just having fun, now you made it not fun.

InternetToughGuy_2-468x2.jpg

I have no doubt in my mind that the starter next year will be Taylor Martinez. He proved that, without injury, he is very much a dual threat QB. He can run and he can throw. His inexperience as a freshman is one reason for all those stupid, boneheaded mistakes that he made, and I hope that with a year under his belt in playing in (and struggling in some) big games (Texas, Okie State, Missouri, aTm, Oklahoma) he will become a better leader and player as a QB.

And of course when you're only allowed to run a certain amount of plays (i.e. Zone Read), you're not going to have much success in your first year.