Freshmen

Ok, not trying to stir things up, but I'm asking this because I sincerely don't know.

Why aren't more freshmen playing? NU had the #1 recruiting class in the nation, but there are only two freshmen making an impact.

How is it that freshmen from lower rated classes are making an impact on other teams, but not ours?

I have a few guesses, but what do you guys think? If our freshmen were so good, why aren't they making more of an impact?

Congdon and Turner are the only two who have made an impact thus far, although Dillard is listed on the two-deep now.

Lucky was supposed to set the world on fire, but hasn't shown much.

Now, there are a couple of jucos who are making headway, but how about the freshmen...are they making enough of an impact in your opinion? I think they are, but would like to see more.

Prediction--if NU loses to ISU and TT, we may see many more sooner than later, at least I hope we do...

Give me some feedback on this one!

• 1 month later...

I know that this is an old thread, but it was discussed on "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" the other day that maybe NU should start playing some of these true freshman. They have already burned the redshirt, but have not been seeing the field much, for the most part. Since NU no longer controls their own destiny in the North and would need some help to win it, would ya'll want to see these guys get some PT and build for the future, even if it means a loss or two.

I think it would be in the programs best interest to do so :thumbs Discuss!

I know that this is an old thread, but it was discussed on "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" the other day that maybe NU should start playing some of these true freshman. They have already burned the redshirt, but have not been seeing the field much, for the most part. Since NU no longer controls their own destiny in the North and would need some help to win it, would ya'll want to see these guys get some PT and build for the future, even if it means a loss or two.

I think it would be in the programs best interest to do so :thumbs Discuss!

I tend to disagree here. I mean it's not like we are totally out of the Bowl picture. Play with what is working for now. If we tank another loss then maybe we consider it?

If you look @ OU, they've pretty much scrapped their season. They had 10 true freshmen on the field last week against Baylor. We still have an outside chance for the Big XII North, and we've won 5 games w/the personnel we've used so far. Even though the last game was not sexy, we DID HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN. It seems as the freshmen come along and learn the system, they get their chance. Brooks was in the game some, Lucky/Glenn are getting more reps, Dillard gets some time and Turner and Congdon both get tons of snaps.

I know most of this discussion is made w/Leon Jackson and Harrison Beck in mind. These 2 guys are backing up positions that are very difficult to learn and very detrimental to the team if a mistake is made. Rush ends and RB's can both just get out there and go full speed based on the play they are given. With our defense playing a lot of zone, the S has to read and adjust to each play differently. And everyone knows what adjustments a QB needs to make. I think that's the main reason we haven't seen these 2 guys get any action at this point.

I do not know where this number 1 class came from. The highest I ever heard was 3. The recruiting class was good no question. But it did not compare to a lot of others in quality. The main reason we were so high was becasue of numbers.

Anyone can run the ball. Not a great learning curve in that.

My concern is we do not have a QB back up that has played a down. If Zac gets hurt it appears to me the season and any chance of a bowl game is over. Not good.

If Leon was the player most think he is, he would be playing running back and starting. The coaches know the true abilities. We do not have AP or RB setting on the bench no matter how hard some want to believe that. We have good to above average freshman, not world beaters. Not saying they will not turn into that, but now they are more of a liablity than anything else.

As I stated earlier, top programs do not depend on Freshman and Jucos to turn the program around. We have to. But only so much can be done.

I do not think it has anything to do with the play book. That has been blown out of the water so many times it is a joke. Listen to what the team says and the coaches and you would understand they have a large play book, but only use certain plays for each game, not the whole book. I doubt anyone on the team knows the whole play book at this time.

I would like to see the young kids in there to. But BC is fighting for a job that some are already saying he has lost. It is now a question of doing the absolute best no matter who plays. He has to win this year. He has to finish with at least 7-8 wins. If not there will be recruiting problems and way more fan problems.

Sad that so many are so convinced he is not a good coach. I think they have done a great job so far this year. We do not have the talent, have not had the talent to contain an athletic QB for years. Missouri/Texas are the two most athletic QB's in the Big 12. We have not had an Oline since 2000. It takes time to get what is needed. There has not been enough time yet. Another two years and we will see the results of this investment. Our talent level was so low when this staff took over is was sad. But one large recruiting class does not correct 5 years of average classes. Give it time.

I really don't think BC has lost any job. I'm sure he has another 2 maybe 3 years to get it done. Playing freshmen is tricky. You want to get them PT, but you want to give your experienced upperclassmen a shot. Coaches have to ask themselves if they are playing for next year, the year after, or this year. It's really a tough thing to just sit upperclassmen who have put in their time to the program and have been there, done that.

I think the reason that there is not as many freshmen that are playing is that they are simply not ready. Through the emergence of these internet recruiting services, fans are able to see these high school players as they never had before. You add in the fact that someone is giving them a rating, predicting how that are going to be as a college player and you have a mess. People have unreal expectations about these kids, I'm sure many of the "high star" guys will turn out to be very good players, but many figure that just because they are supposed to be very good they will make an immediate impact. The jump to division 1 football from high school is tremendous. My main point is expecting these freshmen to have a huge impact right away is a little rediculous, they didn't give themselves the stars, some guys with a computer did, I believe many of them will turn into very good players, but just are not ready yet.

As fas as getting them in for experience and "building" if they are not read outting them in and having them get beat or even hurt is going to do nothing for their confidence.

Just my thoughts

Cody Glenn seems to making a pretty good impact...

He has yet to be stopped on a attempt for a first down...so he is pretty much "money".

Also...not to mention he leads the team in rushing touchdowns with 3 if you check the stats...Ross has two rushing and the rest of his are recieving.

What I want to know is why it took until about the 4th game of the season for Callahan to realize Glenn is an excellent 3rd and Short back. I'm sick of us trying to pussyfoot around defenses on short yardage plays. Just get the yards and move the markers. It should be as easy as that.