Breaking down the Big Ten

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110115/SPORTS/110119733/-1#breaking-down-the-big-ten

Enjoy!

1. NEBRASKA

A look back at 2010

10-4 overall, 6-2 Big 12

The emergence of Taylor Martinez gave Nebraska a promising start and a top-10 ranking. But things fell apart the last four games, bottoming out with a 19-7 loss to Washington in the Holiday Bowl. The Huskers just missed a Big 12 championship for the second straight year.

Building blocks

As usual, the Blackshirts should be solid. Jared Crick, Lavonte David and Alfonzo Dennard give NU a standout at each defensive level. Rex Burkhead and Kyler Reed will be key components of the offense.

Questions marks

Martinez's sluggish finish opens the quarterback competition, creating the possibility that Nebraska puts a new starter in the huddle for the fifth straight year. The offensive line was hit-and-miss all season. Without guards Ricky Henry and Keith Williams, young players must step up. The receiving corps is perhaps the greatest area of concern. Only Brandon Kinnie had more than one catch last year.

Schedule

Unyielding. After a nonconference slate that requires Nebraska's attention, it opens Big Ten play with Wisconsin and Ohio State. November features road trips to Penn State and Michigan. Fortunately, the biggest divisional games — Michigan State and Iowa — are in Lincoln.

Our take

Even if Bo Pelini solves his offense, there are too many tough tests to think about a national title. But this division is winnable, even for a flawed team. Look for Nebraska to earn a Dec. 3 date with Ohio State or Wisconsin.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110115/SPORTS/110119733/-1#breaking-down-the-big-ten

Enjoy!

1. NEBRASKA

A look back at 2010

10-4 overall, 6-2 Big 12

The emergence of Taylor Martinez gave Nebraska a promising start and a top-10 ranking. But things fell apart the last four games, bottoming out with a 19-7 loss to Washington in the Holiday Bowl. The Huskers just missed a Big 12 championship for the second straight year.

Building blocks

As usual, the Blackshirts should be solid. Jared Crick, Lavonte David and Alfonzo Dennard give NU a standout at each defensive level. Rex Burkhead and Kyler Reed will be key components of the offense.

Questions marks

Martinez's sluggish finish opens the quarterback competition, creating the possibility that Nebraska puts a new starter in the huddle for the fifth straight year. The offensive line was hit-and-miss all season. Without guards Ricky Henry and Keith Williams, young players must step up. The receiving corps is perhaps the greatest area of concern. Only Brandon Kinnie had more than one catch last year.

Schedule

Unyielding. After a nonconference slate that requires Nebraska's attention, it opens Big Ten play with Wisconsin and Ohio State. November features road trips to Penn State and Michigan. Fortunately, the biggest divisional games — Michigan State and Iowa — are in Lincoln.

Our take

Even if Bo Pelini solves his offense, there are too many tough tests to think about a national title. But this division is winnable, even for a flawed team. Look for Nebraska to earn a Dec. 3 date with Ohio State or Wisconsin.

We won't win the division.

Enjoy!

1. NEBRASKA

A look back at 2010

10-4 overall, 6-2 Big 12

Building blocks

Questions marks

Schedule

Our take

those are my thoughts too.... as it stands now I think we end up 7-5,8-4 I just dont see to many guarnateed wins on our schedule. But who knows, 4-4 or 5-3 might win the division.

We will win or division, the only real competition in our division is Michigan State. Iowa is losing everybody, Michigan will be breaking in a new coaching staff, Minnesota stinks, Northwestern is a decent team that will surprisem some people but IMO we are better.

We will win or division, the only real competition in our division is Michigan State. Iowa is losing everybody, Michigan will be breaking in a new coaching staff, Minnesota stinks, Northwestern is a decent team that will surprisem some people but IMO we are better.

Not if we continue to play like the last 4 games we won't. We aren't in the North divison anymore. As long as Watson still calling plays i can't be optimitic. Our new division is much more balanced than we have faced before.

Not if we continue to play like the last 4 games we won't. We aren't in the North divison anymore. As long as Watson still calling plays i can't be optimitic. Our new division is much more balanced than we have faced before.

Maybe I'm a little more of a kool-aid drinker, but IMO we have a chance to beat every team in our division. Just depends on the direction of the offense and how emotionally vested the team is.

Enjoy!

1. NEBRASKA

A look back at 2010

10-4 overall, 6-2 Big 12

Building blocks

Questions marks

Schedule

Our take

those are my thoughts too.... as it stands now I think we end up 7-5,8-4 I just dont see to many guarnateed wins on our schedule. But who knows, 4-4 or 5-3 might win the division.

Until NU gets a legit D-I QB and an outstanding OC, we can expect to see 7-5 and 8-4 for several years to come

Enjoy!

1. NEBRASKA

A look back at 2010

10-4 overall, 6-2 Big 12

Building blocks

Questions marks

Schedule

Our take

Until NU gets a legit D-I QB and an outstanding OC, we can expect to see 7-5 and 8-4 for several years to come

I know it might sounds bad but a losing season wouldn't be too bad and and it's only until the HC has a losing season he sees problems that need to be fixed. If Bo starts another QB i would be weary that next season be replaced. Zac Lee should have started this season for continuity. Not gonna build confidence and get good qb's if they only get a season to develop.

Enjoy!

1. NEBRASKA

A look back at 2010

10-4 overall, 6-2 Big 12

Building blocks

Questions marks

Schedule

Our take

That's pretty harsh. We do need to improve the offense no doubt, but I think seasons like this would still be the exception and not the rule, especially when our schedule gets quite a bit easier in 2 years. But to get to consistently winning CCGs and getting to BCS bowls & title games, yeah, we need offensive improvement.

Barring key injuries, Nebraska should have every opportunity to win the division. The offense definitely needs to improve, but people are forgetting what Martinez looked like when he was healthy.

I dont think people are forgetting....we played some pretty crappy defenses during that time. Improvement on offense is a must all the way around not just the QB position. Lineman and WRs must step up tremendously, those two areas have gotten worse and worse the last 3 years. If the lineman and receivers do their job, they can make the QB look better than he really is. Which wont bother me the least.

Barring key injuries, Nebraska should have every opportunity to win the division. The offense definitely needs to improve, but people are forgetting what Martinez looked like when he was healthy.

I dont think people are forgetting....we played some pretty crappy defenses during that time. Improvement on offense is a must all the way around not just the QB position. Lineman and WRs must step up tremendously, those two areas have gotten worse and worse the last 3 years. If the lineman and receivers do their job, they can make the QB look better than he really is. Which wont bother me the least.

Like I said, the offense definitely has to improve. But the crappy Washington defense we played in September was the same crappy Washington defense we played in December. We played some pretty crappy defenses at the end of the year too like Kansas. Even Oklahoma finished the season ranked 57th in defense.

I'm not trying to imply that Taylor doesn't need to get better, because he certainly does, in all aspects of his game. But without him being able to run effectively, the zone read aspect of our offense (which was a pretty important part), was essentially gone. With him healthy, that aspect of our offense will be back, and hopefully with the types of QBs we're recruiting, we're going to have depth with the type of QB we need to run our offense.

Like you, I'm looking forward to how the linemen and receivers do. I feel like both units were improved in 2010 over 2009, but they still need to be much better. I thought the receiver's blocking was better this year, but obviously they just have to be more consistent with catching the ball. I want to see the linemen become more athletic - we just seem big and slow so much of the time, and we can't have that in any offense, but especially not this offense.

The first thing you need to look at his who you have lost from graduation or NFL draft. We aren't having anyone besides seniors leave which is a solid start. Now what seniors did you lose? How good were they? Well...Niles Paul - Can't catch and fumbles a ridiculous amount, but made some solid returns on special teams. Roy Helu Jr. - Was a solid back the past two seasons at Nebraska, but his ability to be trusted to make plays and hold onto the ball late in games was a big hole in his game. Mike McNeill - Was an alright WR at best only because he has the speed and intangibles of a tight end. Ricky Henry and Keith Williams are hit or miss offensive lineman as explained. So offensively I don't feel we lose much at all. On the defensive side Prince Amukamara, Dejon Gomes, and Eric Hagg are obviously big losses. The only other one is Pierre Allen of the defensive line who was banged up this year, and to be honest I was never impressed. We pretty much get our front seven back which is the best scenario going into the Big 10. We have A LOT of talent back IMO and will be a solid team once again. It all comes down to coaching on the offensive side of the ball and teaching our players to play more physical on defense. 9-3 season is what it looks like at the moment. Offense...offense....offense. Please improve.