Big Ten Blackshirts

ADS

Just to add to coqui, we have our mantra that Ohio State doesn't rebuild, we reload.

Yeah, whatever. We were saying that a decade ago. Except we reloaded and captured a couple more MNCs. Not just top-10 finishes.

Ya, because 10+ years ago really matters today? While I love our history, its just that..... history. We are no where near the team or program we were in the 90's, but I am hopefull we are building back up to that.

Throwing out NC's from 10-30 years ago as a reason why we are better than another team, reminds me of Michigan/Notre Dame fans (which makes me sick to think about).

Just to add to coqui, we have our mantra that Ohio State doesn't rebuild, we reload.

Yeah, whatever. We were saying that a decade ago. Except we reloaded and captured a couple more MNCs. Not just top-10 finishes.

Which BCS game did you win the national championship in again? I forgot.

Don't get defensive...the next sentence was "they still were the #3 scoring defense last year, they won't fall too far" - thanks for taking the statement out of context. Now I know what Bo goes through

My point was, in every one of those years, even with a large graduating/going pro dropoff, we still had the #1 scoring defense in the Big 10. I have no doubt the Husker's defense is good. But I still personally think, ours will be better, even with the large exodus of starters.

My point was, in every one of those years, even with a large graduating/going pro dropoff, we still had the #1 scoring defense in the Big 10. I have no doubt the Husker's defense is good. But I still personally think, ours will be better, even with the large exodus of starters.

Could be. My guess is we'll be 1 and 2, with the order TBD. Both D's should be pretty good.

From what I've seen of the Big Ten this year, there is nothing that makes me think any of those teams will have a stronger defense than Nebraska, Ohio State included. In the past two years, I think I take Nebraska's defense over anyone else in the country, and that has a lot more to do with coaching than talent on the field. In 2011, we'll have nearly the same coaching staff, we've got good returning talent, the defense will be very, very good.

Now, on that offensive side of the ball...

And I suppose you’re going to brag about tOSU’s only BCS title win? The 2002 MNC where the refs gave you the game on that bogus pass interference play? Ha ha! What a joke. I absolutely hate Miami. But even I had to admit they got jobbed in that game.

As for your other so-called national championships, the list has some HIGHLY suspect entries. Like 1970. tOSU fans claim a national title that year, and yet you lost the Rose Bowl. Please explain to me how that works. You lose your bowl game and yet win the MNC?? Face it. The last legit title you won was in 1968. So really--except for the 2002 MNC handed to you by the refs or 1970 where you lost the bowl but won the MNC--tOSU hasn’t done much in about half a century.

I'm still far from convinced our defense will be the top unit in the Big10. Ohio State lost 9 starters, so I'll say we probably top them. But they still were the #3 scoring defense last year, they won't fall too far. Cassidy != Gomes/Hagg, Evans != Amukamara. The question is will Crick, Stein, Meredith, and David be "that" much better to compesate for the losses. Our line should be extremely dominant next year - I am hopefully it's enough to make up for our losses in the secondary. Only time will tell.

2010 - Ohio State ranked 5th in scoring defense

2009 - Ohio State ranked 5th in scoring defense

2008 - Ohio State ranked 6th in scoring defense

2007 - Ohio State ranked 1st in scoring defense (This was the season we lost a large amount of people on defense)

2006 - Ohio State ranked 5th in scoring defense

2005 - Ohio State ranked 5th in scoring defense

Yes there's a dropoff when you lose people, but the good defensive teams pick up right where they left off after a couple of games. Also a lot of our backups received playtime this season due to injuries.

you mean 'we don't rebuild, we get more free tattoos.'

Could be. My guess is we'll be 1 and 2, with the order TBD. Both D's should be pretty good.

I can accept that.

And I suppose youre going to brag about tOSUs only BCS title win? The 2002 MNC where the refs gave you the game on that bogus pass interference play? Ha ha! What a joke. I absolutely hate Miami. But even I had to admit they got jobbed in that game.

As for your other so-called national championships, the list has some HIGHLY suspect entries. Like 1970. tOSU fans claim a national title that year, and yet you lost the Rose Bowl. Please explain to me how that works. You lose your bowl game and yet win the MNC?? Face it. The last legit title you won was in 1968. So really--except for the 2002 MNC handed to you by the refs or 1970 where you lost the bowl but won the MNC--tOSU hasnt done much in about half a century.

He started the trash talking. I was just mentioning, if he was going to trash talk, he should at least be remotely accurate, because a decade ago, we were already in the BCS era.

And you're right. It wasn't passing interference. It was defensive holding or illegal hands to the face. End result? Exact same result as a PI penalty. Either way, how convenient you neglect to remember the obvious passing interference that wasn't called that even allowed Miami to go into overtime to begin with.

Ya, because 10+ years ago really matters today? While I love our history, its just that..... history. We are no where near the team or program we were in the 90's, but I am hopefull we are building back up to that.

Throwing out NC's from 10-30 years ago as a reason why we are better than another team, reminds me of Michigan/Notre Dame fans (which makes me sick to think about).

I love hearing about MNC's won decades before I was ever born. (yup, that's you Ohio State fans :)) At least I witnessed 3 or ours. They've been solid recently, but they were pretty much a non-factor the first 20 years of my lifetime...the same period we won 200 or so games. This is ABSOLUTELY NOT dogging on Ohio State (maybe the fans a little) and I certainly don't want to start a whole thread measuring dicks (again)...but when you think about it...to equal our modern era run (a decade longer than their post-WWII run) ...they'd have to continue with their 10-12 win seasons until 2030 or so.

And I suppose you’re going to brag about tOSU’s only BCS title win? The 2002 MNC where the refs gave you the game on that bogus pass interference play? Ha ha! What a joke. I absolutely hate Miami. But even I had to admit they got jobbed in that game.

As for your other so-called national championships, the list has some HIGHLY suspect entries. Like 1970. tOSU fans claim a national title that year, and yet you lost the Rose Bowl. Please explain to me how that works. You lose your bowl game and yet win the MNC?? Face it. The last legit title you won was in 1968. So really--except for the 2002 MNC handed to you by the refs or 1970 where you lost the bowl but won the MNC--tOSU hasn’t done much in about half a century.

He started the trash talking. I was just mentioning, if he was going to trash talk, he should at least be remotely accurate, because a decade ago, we were already in the BCS era.

And you're right. It wasn't passing interference. It was defensive holding or illegal hands to the face. End result? Exact same result as a PI penalty. Either way, how convenient you neglect to remember the obvious passing interference that wasn't called that even allowed Miami to go into overtime to begin with.

And a blown out of bounds call on Michael Jenkins who was clearly in the field of play that lead to the end of regulation. Get it right and the game ends and tOSU wins.

Not to mention that Miami had 4 cracks at getting it into the endzone in the 2nd overtime and failed each time.

This isn't a debate on NC games but a discussion on NU having one of the top defenses in the Big Ten this upcoming season. I believe they'll be at the top however we won't know for sure until the games are played and were we all stand at this point next year. Right now is pure speculation seeing as how most of these teams haven't played each other in years or even at all. NU's defense is going to have to adapt to a whole different brand of football this year and we'll see how things shake up after the first 3 conference games are over with and we can truly assess how good this defense is in this conference

This isn't a debate on NC games but a discussion on NU having one of the top defenses in the Big Ten this upcoming season. I believe they'll be at the top however we won't know for sure until the games are played and were we all stand at this point next year. Right now is pure speculation seeing as how most of these teams haven't played each other in years or even at all. NU's defense is going to have to adapt to a whole different brand of football this year and we'll see how things shake up after the first 3 conference games are over with and we can truly assess how good this defense is in this conference

Do you guys play with a round ball instead? Is the field longer/shorter? Can you not use the forward pass? 12 men on the field for each team? The only brand that is changing is the Big10 brand...logo and all. Football is football.

Do you guys play with a round ball instead? Is the field longer/shorter? Can you not use the forward pass? 12 men on the field for each team? The only brand that is changing is the Big10 brand...logo and all. Football is football.

Anything beyond three yards and a cloud of dust is stricly forbidden. Also you must decrease all 40 times of your athletes to run no faster than 5 seconds. After all, you're playing in the Big 10 now.

Round ball? Like shooty hoops? No no no don't be silly, we still use the pigskin but it's still squeals when you carry it. Of course can use the forward pass! You just have to explain it to the other team first since they may not be sure why it's flying above their heads.

Yes football is football but I guess I should have said style instead of brand but we all know that the Big Ten gets poked fun at for being more of a power running conference which isn't exactly unfounded. If your defense is really the top defense in the Big Ten in just it's first year of going through the new opponents then I'll be quite surprised but on paper then absolutely I put them in the top 2-3 spots and IMO those are quite interchangable

Na the field is'nt longer, just seems that way.

• Fire 1