Kstate

Redout you are LOCO, but I love it. Here's my thinking either this team has turned the corner from years past and wins on the raod or is a team of years past and lays another egg after a great W.

The lack of an inside presense without Diaz(even as much as I enjoy kicking the guy) will hurt this team severely. KSU will sit back in a zone and say ok NU and you sharpshooting 3 points shooters beat us, and this is a bad scenario. I think Almeida will give it a try and after 5 minutes of PT he will be done. An ankle injury on that frame will be no where near ready.

KSU is a classic example of a team NU should beat. They are a mess, in total disarray, and everyone is questioning their heart and effort. These are always the games that seems to trip NU up. KSU is a mess, in disarray, and probably have given up, but they are still quite talented. My whole thought process about this Husker squad probably hinges on this game, IF and that is a big IF, Diaz plays. A win without him, I'll probably dance down the street in this weather naked, a loss without him equals a pass on my part.

It is way to funny that this game depends so much on a kid I am the first to throw under the bus.

You are correct, it's a VERY bad scenario. I believe NU is right around 320th in the nation in 3 pt percentage. I'll give you a minute to reread that number and think about what that means. Yeah, that bad.

Without Diaz, I believe there are two ways Nebraska can still win:

1 Transition. Jeter, Richardson and Walker are going to have to run the court like madmen. FORTUNATELY (and IMO this really is huge) NU's big men suck at rebounding, so not having a big man in the game should not affect the ability to transition. Most of the transition points have come from a steal or a guard grabbing a board, so the transition game should not suffer much w/o Diaz or Almeida playing.

2 Drake and Bear (and probably McCray): it's time to show you're legit. If any of these guys can catch fire, they just may be able to hit 4 or 5 3's and be the difference in the game.

The great thing about these two scenarios is if NU can get up early, these both get much easier. There's no doubt that even if KSU hasn't quit yet, if they get down early at least a few of their guys will start let up. Suddenly transition points are more likely because of a lack of hustle from KSU in transition D as well as sloppy turnovers. Similarly, if NU is up and one of our guys is hot, he'll continue to find shots because there's no way Frank will find 5 guys to put on the floor committed to going all out to shut anyone down.

I can tell I'm nervous about this game because I'm getting long-winded and apparently trying to talk myself into believing this can be done. All the torture of the past tells me not to get excited, but something about this team just seems different. Still I just can't quite let myself fully believe they'll get it done.

True, NU's transition game is not hurt at all without the big guys. However, I think a track meet may play more into KState's liking. Pullen, is a stud whether he wants to play in the NIT or not. This will be a great matchup vs. Jeter. But KState's other four guys that will see a lot of the minutes are guys that will get out and go every opportunity they get. Their bigs, Kelly and Samuels thrived in the open court and secondary breaks last year. And when it comes to putting up numbers scoring, no matter how much a team has quit, that is the "me" stat. Where guys can go "I got mine, the other guys didn't", and that is crap struggling teams pull. The other guards McGruder and Spradling also will push the ball and are good behind the arc in transition offenses.

I think NU needs to make it a dog fight almost and make KSU play defense. This is where this team struggles. Like I said, the presence of a Diaz/Almeida would make this philosophy so much easier.

WHo knows how Doc will attack this wounded animal that's trapped in the corner. I am skeptical, but hoping for the best.

BTW Tejas is looking unreal tonight.

Also Doc just tweeted 9pm that Diaz will be at the game

Completley agree with you. I was a little overzealous with my post. I don't think they'll need 20 transition points, but 10-12 would be great. Also, the team has been pretty good about busting ass back on defense after pushing the ball, so as not to give up anything.

Texas looked amazing. Matt Hill is a little b*tch. Yes he's probably enjoying playing for a successful team, but if the kid had stayed at NU he would be a Nebraska hero. Now he's someone that no one in Nebraska will remember, and no one in Texas will remember. They know him now, but by next year no one will remember him. If he came to NU, he would have been starting, woulda been the local kid who helped bring the team up to a new level, and would have lived in Husker history.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't necessarily disagree but I have to say he has greatly improved throughout his career. When I saw him as a freshman when Durant was there I didn't think he would see the florr, now he is holding his own and I can't help but cheer for him. He can't really do much on the offensive side of the ball but even Barnes said he is his best post defender and that means a lot when you look at the talent on that Texas team.

ALso anyone think they could postpone the game because of the weather?

I don't know, I'd say since the team is heading down right now that everything will stay as scheduled, but hopefully it gets postponed for Diaz' sake. I really wish I lived in Dallas right now. I'd love to drive Diaz to the game! My neighbor has a couple planes, maybe I'll borrow one tonight and go save the day for Husker hoops.

ALso anyone think they could postpone the game because of the weather?

I don't know, I'd say since the team is heading down right now that everything will stay as scheduled, but hopefully it gets postponed for Diaz' sake. I really wish I lived in Dallas right now. I'd love to drive Diaz to the game! My neighbor has a couple planes, maybe I'll borrow one tonight and go save the day for Husker hoops.

I thought I heard Diaz will be in Manhattan Tues. night?

Well the weather here in Manhattan isnt the greatest right now. Still blowing snow and temps are in the negatives. My guess would be 6 inch's with ice under it. They havent postponed the game yet and I dont think they will. But I do think the "Octagon of Doom" will be more like the "Octagon of Gloom" tomorrow night. I would think there will be plenty of seats available without many people being able to travel here for the game.

As far as the game goes...

It really looks like Frank Martin has lost this team. Seems like most of them dont want to play for the guy and their is ZERO leadership on the court. Kstate has struggled on the road but are a completely different team at home. I think this is going to be a great game and I am really looking forward to watching the Huskers Celebrate one last victory here in Manhattan!!

GO BIG RED!!!

I dont know if anyone knew but they lost asprilla who averaged 15.5 mpg and judge who averaged 16.7 ppg and dont forget sutton, that means they wont get a lot from the bench (I know you all knew they wern't on the team anymore i meant referring to the mpg)...also has anyone looked at their starters free throw percentage??

Pullen- 74.4%

McGruder- 58.5&

Kelly- 46%

Samuels- 63.7&

Spradling- 89.7&

Keep Spradling and Pullen out of the lane seems like the key of the game

Anyone heard anything official on Diaz? The buzz is pretty confident he will be there, but I'm gonna be nervous until I see something official.

bshirts007 - I'd say you're right with the key to the game. I'm willing to bet that if NU can frustrate Pullen for about the first 7-8 minutes he will give up. He may keep playing hard, but he won't be a team player and will hurt them more than he helps them (hopefully anyway). That Spradling worries me, he seems like the kind of guy NU could give up 25 to, especially if he gets hot.

I'm heading down to Manhattan shortly, sounds like roads are clear and I'm guessing tickets won't be hard to come by so I decided to take the afternoon off and go. After all, this is the last year I'll be able to do something like this spur of the moment, gonna suck not having any games within a few hours driving distance. I urge my fellow Huskers to do the same, I'm guessing not a lot of KSU fans will show up, let's get a good showing of red!

Anyone heard anything official on Diaz? The buzz is pretty confident he will be there, but I'm gonna be nervous until I see something official.

bshirts007 - I'd say you're right with the key to the game. I'm willing to bet that if NU can frustrate Pullen for about the first 7-8 minutes he will give up. He may keep playing hard, but he won't be a team player and will hurt them more than he helps them (hopefully anyway). That Spradling worries me, he seems like the kind of guy NU could give up 25 to, especially if he gets hot.

I'm heading down to Manhattan shortly, sounds like roads are clear and I'm guessing tickets won't be hard to come by so I decided to take the afternoon off and go. After all, this is the last year I'll be able to do something like this spur of the moment, gonna suck not having any games within a few hours driving distance. I urge my fellow Huskers to do the same, I'm guessing not a lot of KSU fans will show up, let's get a good showing of red!

from Brian Rosenthal's twitter

Doc Sadler told me Brian Diaz is arriving in Manhattan today at noon.

from Brian Rosenthal's twitter

Doc Sadler told me Brian Diaz is arriving in Manhattan today at noon.

God bless you!

500 GA's available for the game folks! http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020111aab.html

Come on down to Manhattan for one last time!!!

GO BIG RED!!!!