Taylor will have competition this season

I just hope there is a true "competition" at the QB position. It really feels like Bo has handed Martinez the reigns regardless of what happens. No doubt we have lots of talent coming up the ranks with guys like Carnes and Turner, but we can't forget about Green either.

I'm concerned that Bo has perhaps tied his fate to Martinez. I know he just got his 1st full season under his belt, but are the ups enough to justify the downs of Martinez' QB play?

Needless to say, I can't wait to see how our QBs play during the red-white game. May the best man win.

I've watched Ty play sports since he was 3 ft tall. He is a natural athlete and very competitive...also if any of you watched him play high school football the last couple years his poise and cool head sticks out more than anything. The fact is that Ty has a lot of work to do in the weight room before he even thinks about being a D1 QB. I see him coming in and working his tail off....and maybe competing for a starting job as a RS soph or jr

I just hope there is a true "competition" at the QB position. It really feels like Bo has handed Martinez the reigns regardless of what happens. No doubt we have lots of talent coming up the ranks with guys like Carnes and Turner, but we can't forget about Green either.

I'm concerned that Bo has perhaps tied his fate to Martinez. I know he just got his 1st full season under his belt, but are the ups enough to justify the downs of Martinez' QB play?

Needless to say, I can't wait to see how our QBs play during the red-white game. May the best man win.

Absolutely yes. We all seem to be forgetting that, before his injury, Martinez was in the thick of the Heisman discussion. As a redshirt freshman. That just doesn't happen very often.

Absolutely yes. We all seem to be forgetting that, before his injury, Martinez was in the thick of the Heisman discussion. As a redshirt freshman. That just doesn't happen very often.

Really? You go with "absolutely yes"? I think the key part of your statement is "his injury". The way Martinez runs warrants several more injuries to come if you ask me. And if he somehow manages to avoid injury, he still has to overcome the treacherous fumblitis.

I'm not discounting how well he played prior to the injury, and I sure as heck hope he can get back to those types of performances on a regular basis moving forward. But, just count me as one of those who is no longer convinced Martinez is the solution to our QB situation. My hope is that he proves me and any other doubter wrong, but methinks he has a lot of ground to make up since he fell apart so epicly over his last 3 games.

Can Carnes throw on the run? I know Turner and Starling are supposed to be able to. T.M. has shown extremely poor judgment, and who knows if he will ever be natural at it. Is this something that can be learned through practice and coaching, or is this something where you either have it or you don't?

T.M.'s continual struggle with this alone could open up the competition.

Carnes' HS tape has some people salivating at the kinds of throws he made on the run.

I didn't know either Turner or Starling were supposed to be able to. I thought that Turner was raw, and Starling even rawer.

I think Taylor could certainly add it to the game (mine is an uninformed opinion), but where he's coming from, I would say it's a longshot. He has a lot of ground to make up in those categories.

BC and Sipple breakdown the QB on their website. I really like how Sipple brings up and if Martinez does not start next year, it will be the fifth time in a row that Nebraska has thrown out a first year starter for someone else at the QB spot. There is something about that comment that really irks me, it tells me we don't give a first year starter a chance to develop, if you can't be a great QB your first year, you don't deserve the job next job? Is that what our offense is looking for? In any case, I hope Martinez starts next year and shows some improvement in his offensive management.

BC and Sipple breakdown the QB on their website. I really like how Sipple brings up and if Martinez does not start next year, it will be the fifth time in a row that Nebraska has thrown out a first year starter for someone else at the QB spot. There is something about that comment that really irks me, it tells me we don't give a first year starter a chance to develop, if you can't be a great QB your first year, you don't deserve the job next job? Is that what our offense is looking for? In any case, I hope Martinez starts next year and shows some improvement in his offensive management.

That's not what they're saying. They are getting at the fact that we haven't had anyone start for more than one year since Zac Taylor, because of a number of different reasons.

Zac started '05 and '06.

Sam Keller started in '07 (was a senior, so only one year).

Joe Ganz started in '08 (was a senior, so only one year).

Zac Lee started in '09 (was a junior, but got "beat out" the next year).

Taylor Martinez started in '10 (we'll see what happens next year).

______________ starts in '11?